PDA

View Full Version : Confused about dysphagia and LPR

Millie9036
06-22-2013, 01:35 PM
I have mild LPR symptoms and sometimes the lump in throat as well. I also suffer great health anxiety at times and am always very aware of my body and its sensations. Over the past three years I at times have a difficulty swallowing that doesn't sound like others I've seen on here. I will have trouble making myself initiate a swallow. I chew my food then a panic kind of takes over and I have to force the swallow. Food still in my mouth so can't be stuck anywhere. Sometimes if its bad I try and swallow and do so awkwardly and then have to swallow again. Once down however I feel Ok unless LPR is raging and I may get some slight mucus after meal. Is this what trouble swallowing means to some of you or is it that after you swallow, the food feels like its not moving. Thanks to all on here who seem to have great knowledge and advice. Would really appreciate help with this!

Millie9036
06-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Anyone out there with info on this? I'm new to this board and hopeful someone can help?

Sezza84
06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Hi Millieroyce,
I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you have been experiencing with swallowing food. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I have had this issue for many years and although I have also suffered with gerd for many years I don't think it is associated. I first noticed this problem with initially swallowing after I had a massive anxiety attack at age 18. Does it like your throat is closing up before you have even tried to swallow the food? I ended up putting it down to anxiety and it took me a while to learn to relax when I was eating. I am now 28 and it still happens occasionally and I have to go through the whole making myself relax thin again.
The difference I find between that sensation and the 'food sticking' sensation associated with LPR/gerd is that with LPR/gerd you can initially swallow fine but then the food feels like it is sticking in your esophagus.
Maybe you should talk to your doctor about getting some help for the health anxiety issues, you will be surprised at how much they can affect you. Good luck

LibbyCat
07-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Hello, I am new as well and feel very similar to you. I have LPR and recently have been getting that lumpy feeling in my throat. I also have anxiety issues so I've been worrying myself into a frenzy. When I am anxious, I usually feel it in my stomach (butterfly feeling) so I know this is related to the LPR. Try to see how it feels when you are anxious. Sounds like your issue isn't the same feeling as the LPR lumpy feeling. Definitely talk to a professional about your anxiety and then go from there...best of luck.