PDA

View Full Version : Dexilant Rebound Woes

jlee244
06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi all, new to the board and wanted to share my story with GERD. It's an ongoing process, but I truly believe I am on my way back.

I was presented in November of 2012 with gastritis and esophagitis. My doctor originally believed it was gallbladder but tests came back negative. She put me on Dexilant 60 mg per day. My primary symptoms were nausea and water brash. Over time I developed a terrible globus sensation so, I doubled my Dexilant. BAD IDEA.

My lump in my throat went away but when I went back to 60 MG per day I had terrible rebound acid. Thinking my problems were because Dexilant was not working (I had no idea of the rebound effect) my doctor switched me to Nexium.

Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't cover so I ended up back on Dexilant. By this time my symptoms were under control and I decided it was time to get off PPIs. I quit taking cold turkey, SECOND BAD IDEA.

The rebound was so bad I couldn't hardly function. The first couple of days were almost unbearable so I had to get back on medication, but I refuse to take Dexilant ever again.

I am currently using low does Prilosec and Zantac to wean myself off of and to rely on a healthy lifestyle to manage symptoms.

Has anyone else experienced unbearable rebound when trying to quit these products?

kacyc
06-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Yes, going through the rebound now as I wean off. I am on Omeprazole (Prilosec equalivalent). It was unbearable in the beginning, but now I do it slowly so as to keep it only minimally unbearable instead of the crippling life stopping pain that you get if you try to quit too quickly. It is hell.

Doctors just want to put you on a higher dose, which I find inhumane. They have no idea of the effects of the stuff they give out on a daily basis.

It is no surprise to me that PPIs are the second most widely prescribed group of drugs given on repeat prescription, once you are on them, many never get off!

Well done for going through it to get your life back and your health!

barkface
07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Have you ever actually had your stomach acid levels tested? I have had what I believe is gastritis and GERD for several years and the actual severe heartburn has come back after being dormant for a while. I find what really makes it better is taking HCL/Pepsin capsules. A little counter intuitive but after reading about how most people don't have acid levels that are too high, rather they have stomach acid levels that are too low prompted me to test it out. It totally works for me. Also I did some research on Zinc-Carnosine which is supposed to help with gastritis and GERD greatly as well as heal the stomach and kill H. Pylori. You might check it out as an alternative to PPI's which inhibit normal digestion. Good luck!

Spunkyhunny
07-09-2013, 09:20 PM
barkface how did you test for low acid...i would really like to know,,i think that may be my problem as well
thanks
spunky:)