PDA

View Full Version : Going insane... gerd and anxiety???

bertalot17
07-06-2013, 10:38 PM
To start off, I'm 25 and a male. I'm about 5 foot 7 inches and. He60lbs. I think I'm fairly healthy. I don't always eat the greatest and don't exercise nearly as much as I should. For the past year and a half, I've been having bouts with anxiety on and off. My MD who's been my doctormy whole life believed that the anxiety came on after I was sick with a various. It was also a stressful time in my life since I was in my last semester in college for my undergraduate degree. My MD was hoping my anxiety was temporary and that it'd pass after graduating. It did slightly reduce after graduation but not thoroughly. My MD gave me some lorazepam to use temporarily for when I was experiencing large amounts of anxiety. I have had quite a bit of blood work done, a CT scan, an EKG, and some other miscellaneous tests. Everything came back completely normal. So once again, lorazepam as needed. I've had numerous doctors at larger hospitals check me out with no diagonosis except anxiety. 4 months ago, I had bloodwork done to check my thyroid and other normal counts and everything was fine. About 2 months ago, I was having pains in my lower right quadrant of my abdomen. Ended up in ER to get it looked at. They were thinking it was my appendix. I had bloodwork, urinalisys, and a CT of my abdomen. Everything came back normal. They said all my internal organs were perfectly fine. Shortly after, I went on vacation and was relaxed for the most part. I've been doing ok the past month or so. Then, a week ago, I started getting weird symptoms. Some of them can be wrote off to anxiety I'm sure. This is what I've been dealing with the past week.

More Frequent
---------------
Sternum/center chest pains
Tiredness
Chest tightness/pressure
Upper stomach bloating
Wake up frequently during the night
Shortness of breath feeling even though O2 levels are good(I have a sensor)
Nauseated feeling especially in the morning
Lower stomach pains/discomfort
Both arm pain, especially near shoulders
Pain around shoulder blades
Chest pain a few inches above nipples
Bitter taste in mouth
Belching, especially numerous times in a row
Constantly clearing throat
“Zone out” type feeling
Upset stomach

Less Frequent
--------------
Wake up at night with choking on fluid sensation
Dizzy spells
Neck pain
Dry cough
Discomfort near xiphoid process/upper stomach
Lump in throat sensation
Wake up shaking internally
Slight jaw pain

Again, some of those symptoms are anxiety related. Does this seem like it could be GERD or acid reflux? The weird thing is, I don't get heart burn really...just sternum pain where the ribs meet the sternum where the cartilage is. Is it possible to have GERD/acid reflux without heart burn? Can Anxiety cause GERD/acid reflux? Or the other way around? Have you experienced any of this and if so, how are you coping with it? I feel like Im going insane and constantly am worrying. I just want to be "normal" again. I have an appointment with my MD in about a week, but I want a jump start on what to talk to him about from others exeperiences with symptoms like these. He will likely do more testing and refer me to a GI to get scoped. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Terlin
07-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Same with me I have a hiatal hernia also and it's painful to sit. Do you also feel hungery all the time but to bloated to eat?

Terlin
07-07-2013, 12:49 PM
To start off, I'm 25 and a male. I'm about 5 foot 7 inches and. He60lbs. I think I'm fairly healthy. I don't always eat the greatest and don't exercise nearly as much as I should. For the past year and a half, I've been having bouts with anxiety on and off. My MD who's been my doctormy whole life believed that the anxiety came on after I was sick with a various. It was also a stressful time in my life since I was in my last semester in college for my undergraduate degree. My MD was hoping my anxiety was temporary and that it'd pass after graduating. It did slightly reduce after graduation but not thoroughly. My MD gave me some lorazepam to use temporarily for when I was experiencing large amounts of anxiety. I have had quite a bit of blood work done, a CT scan, an EKG, and some other miscellaneous tests. Everything came back completely normal. So once again, lorazepam as needed. I've had numerous doctors at larger hospitals check me out with no diagonosis except anxiety. 4 months ago, I had bloodwork done to check my thyroid and other normal counts and everything was fine. About 2 months ago, I was having pains in my lower right quadrant of my abdomen. Ended up in ER to get it looked at. They were thinking it was my appendix. I had bloodwork, urinalisys, and a CT of my abdomen. Everything came back normal. They said all my internal organs were perfectly fine. Shortly after, I went on vacation and was relaxed for the most part. I've been doing ok the past month or so. Then, a week ago, I started getting weird symptoms. Some of them can be wrote off to anxiety I'm sure. This is what I've been dealing with the past week.

More Frequent
---------------
Sternum/center chest pains
Tiredness
Chest tightness/pressure
Upper stomach bloating
Wake up frequently during the night
Shortness of breath feeling even though O2 levels are good(I have a sensor)
Nauseated feeling especially in the morning
Lower stomach pains/discomfort
Both arm pain, especially near shoulders
Pain around shoulder blades
Chest pain a few inches above nipples
Bitter taste in mouth
Belching, especially numerous times in a row
Constantly clearing throat
“Zone out” type feeling
Upset stomach

Less Frequent
--------------
Wake up at night with choking on fluid sensation
Dizzy spells
Neck pain
Dry cough
Discomfort near xiphoid process/upper stomach
Lump in throat sensation
Wake up shaking internally
Slight jaw pain

Again, some of those symptoms are anxiety related. Does this seem like it could be GERD or acid reflux? The weird thing is, I don't get heart burn really...just sternum pain where the ribs meet the sternum where the cartilage is. Is it possible to have GERD/acid reflux without heart burn? Can Anxiety cause GERD/acid reflux? Or the other way around? Have you experienced any of this and if so, how are you coping with it? I feel like Im going insane and constantly am worrying. I just want to be "normal" again. I have an appointment with my MD in about a week, but I want a jump start on what to talk to him about from others exeperiences with symptoms like these. He will likely do more testing and refer me to a GI to get scoped. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Do you have phlem that you can't cough up and when you breath do you feel presure pushing against you from your stomach , do you seem to swallow air?

bertalot17
07-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Same with me I have a hiatal hernia also and it's painful to sit. Do you also feel hungery all the time but to bloated to eat?

Yes, very much so. I hate it. I'm sure Ill be headed to a GI doc soon though.

bertalot17
07-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Do you have phlem that you can't cough up and when you breath do you feel presure pushing against you from your stomach , do you seem to swallow air?

I wouldn't say it's phlegm or mucus. I do get a dry cough at times and sometimes I feel like its hard to breath. I wonder if its asthma or something. I've read other places that GERD can cause asthma type symptoms. Weird. Also, I do get the pressure from time to time, but not all the time. I try to not talk while eating so I don't think I swallow air. I do wait until after eating before I drink anything. The other thing is that 2 weeks ago I got a dental implant in and was one a weeks worth of amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day. I'm not sure if that has caused any of these symptoms. I feel like I'm going nuts.

Anonimoose
07-08-2013, 04:10 PM
The chest pain you're feeling DEFINITELY sounds like GERD. Trust me, once you sit up straight or eat a few Tums or try some OTC Simethicone tablets. It usually (for me at least) sounds like trapped gas and acid and once you can get the gas to come up as a burp it will relieve some pressure. It goes into the jaw and I can feel it in my back and in my arms. It feels like you're having a heart attack, but once you can get the burp out and the acid settled, it feels a whole lot better. It sounds like you do have GERD, but don't assume the problem is too much acid right away and get on Omeprazole like I did... simply consult with a GI doc first and take it easy on yourself, and also find out what foods trigger you. Best of luck to you :)

bertalot17
07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
The chest pain you're feeling DEFINITELY sounds like GERD. Trust me, once you sit up straight or eat a few Tums or try some OTC Simethicone tablets. It usually (for me at least) sounds like trapped gas and acid and once you can get the gas to come up as a burp it will relieve some pressure. It goes into the jaw and I can feel it in my back and in my arms. It feels like you're having a heart attack, but once you can get the burp out and the acid settled, it feels a whole lot better. It sounds like you do have GERD, but don't assume the problem is too much acid right away and get on Omeprazole like I did... simply consult with a GI doc first and take it easy on yourself, and also find out what foods trigger you. Best of luck to you :)

I have a checkup with my normal MD next week and I'm going to being this all up to him again. Also, I started taking prevacid 24hr for the 14 day trial thing. I took my 3rd one today, and I've had less symptoms so far so I'm thinking its an acid issue.

Anonimoose
07-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I have a checkup with my normal MD next week and I'm going to being this all up to him again. Also, I started taking prevacid 24hr for the 14 day trial thing. I took my 3rd one today, and I've had less symptoms so far so I'm thinking its an acid issue.

Good for you! I'm on Omeprazole for the time being but I don't want to stay on it for too long... I want to try other natural options and actually get to a GI when I can invest the time and money so I can figure out what is wrong with me. All I know is that I don't want to be tied down to taking Omeprazole every day or else I'll be rolling around in pain, lol

bertalot17
07-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Is that a PPI? Is it over the counter orprescription?