PDA

View Full Version : Is gerd hiatal hernia causing this

Terlin
07-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I have severe bloating, and shortness of breath, feels like a band around me just below my ribs, laying on my back my throat feels like its sucking in or colapsing., i feel like my throat is tightning when swallowing. Food feels like its sucking down to the back of throat getting very little taste. Throat is constantly dry and feel thirsty . Can only eat very small portions and feel full but still hungry. A lot of food taste bland and almost a numbing sensation. My biggest problem is bloating and shortness of breath and a contant neck strain. Please is this all related? And also drinking I feel like I'm swallowing air or inhaling because of the shortness of breath. I feel like I'm gulping. Please help

MountainReader
07-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Bloating, shortness of breath and throat issues can all be caused by the acid reflux. It is difficult though because they are also symptoms of other things.

If you have a hiatal hernia that has come up and is keeping your LES from closing properly, it could aggrevate your acid reflux symptoms.

When symptoms get this bad, working with your GI doc and getting testing is really the best way to verify this. I worked with one. I also had a Pulmonologist because of the breathing problems and an ENT for the throat problems. They all concurred on the acid reflux as a trigger.

Terlin
07-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Bloating, shortness of breath and throat issues can all be caused by the acid reflux. It is difficult though because they are also symptoms of other things.

If you have a hiatal hernia that has come up and is keeping your LES from closing properly, it could aggrevate your acid reflux symptoms.

When symptoms get this bad, working with your GI doc and getting testing is really the best way to verify this. I worked with one. I also had a Pulmonologist because of the breathing problems and an ENT for the throat problems. They all concurred on the acid reflux as a trigger.

I have done the pulminary test and doc said lungs are fine, gastro did the endoscopy and told me stage 3 gerd and medium hiatal hernia, he doubted that was causing my bloating and shortness of breath. I have bowel issuers also which I have done many tests and nobody is telling me the sores of my shortness of breath , very difficult to sit as it takes my breath away I Kline to get this resolved , I also have hissing in my ears tighness in jaw swallowing problems presure in head sinus problems and a stiffness in neck and shoulders . Planters also can you describe your problems and what helps also wondering if the ears has anything to do with my disequilbrum thanks one more thing I am unable to cough now can't cough up phlem like I don't have enough force I have to swallow.

MountainReader
07-14-2013, 04:59 PM
With acid reflux, the coughing could be coming from your lungs or your throat or both. Have you had a scope of your throat yet? It can show the inflammation of your vocal cords. Mine can get pretty bad from the acid at times. When the lungs get irritated, you usually get asthma like symptoms. My ENT has spent years monitoring and treating my throat/acid issues as well as my allergies and sinus problems.

I found that for the most part, my chronic coughing was a dry cough.

I was at my GI doc this week because I've had a bit of break-through acid reflux and I don't want to cycle again. I've also had some bloating the last couple weeks. My GI doc told me my bloating could absolutely be because of the acid. I also developed some IBS when my acid reflux hit its worst years ago and it flares sometimes. I usually need to work closely with my GI doc to get my balance back.

My Pulmonary lung function tests came back 'normal' even when I was having severe breathing problems at times from the acid. It really depends on the day you go in. My Pulmonologist had me do an Esophagram and Modified Barium Swallow to confirm the acid hitting my lungs.

Have you seen an ENT or Audiologist for your ear issues? The ENT can take a look at your eustacisan tubes. I also found out that I had TMJD issues contributing to my ear issues when I'd put it off as sinus problems in the beginning.

It takes very very little acid to irritate the throat since it isn't designed to handle the acid like the esophagus is. It is frustrating and can take much longer to heal even when it is treated.

Terlin
07-14-2013, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=MountainReader;5199422]With acid reflux, the coughing could be coming from your lungs or your throat or both. Have you had a scope of your throat yet? It can show the inflammation of your vocal cords. Mine can get pretty bad from the acid at times. When the lungs get irritated, you usually get asthma like symptoms. My ENT has spent years monitoring and treating my throat/acid issues as well as my allergies and sinus problems.

I found that for the most part, my chronic coughing was a dry cough.

I was at my GI doc this week because I've had a bit of break-through acid reflux and I don't want to cycle again. I've also had some bloating the last couple weeks. My GI doc told me my bloating could absolutely be because of the acid. I also developed some IBS when my acid reflux hit its worst years ago and it flares sometimes. I usually need to work closely with my GI doc to get my balance back.

My Pulmonary lung function tests came back 'normal' even when I was having severe breathing problems at times from the acid. It really depends on the day you go in. My Pulmonologist had me do an Esophagram and Modified Barium Swallow to confirm the acid hitting my lungs.

Have you seen an ENT or Audiologist for your ear issues? The ENT can take a look at your eustacisan tubes. I also found out that I had TMJD issues contributing to my ear issues when I'd put it off as sinus problems in the beginning.

It takes very very little acid to irritate the throat since it isn't designed to handle the acid like the esophagus is. It is frustrating and can take much longer to heal even when it is treated.[/eQUOTE]
What I ment was I can't cough it feels like some one is sitting on my stomach not able to get enough air to cough. I had an inguinal hernia surgery 2 years ago and developed a bowel problem after the surgery and had this problem of breathing soon after. Just recently had endoscopy and was dx with the Hutus and gerd. Now I'm wondering if that was my problem breathing and bloating all all along causing my bloating. Its so bad its harder to breath when sitting.also when I drink I feel like I'm swallowing air , is thats we're my presure in abdomin coming from? The hiatus or the les?