It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

Chronic Wrist Pain Help

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
tdog2
(male)

tdog2 HB User
Chronic Wrist Pain Help

Hello everyone, I've been having chronic problems with my wrist for about 4 years. I will list all the relevant information and I'm hoping someone might have some helpful insight to my problem.

It all started about 4 years ago. I was a full time carpenter with 5 years experience at 30 y.o. I was doing a lot of wrist intensive work with nail guns and hammering as well as weightlifting and drawing every night after work for around 5 hours. I did fall at work as well around the time that my pain began. It started out as discomfort and ache and steadily progressed to where I could no longer use a nail gun repeatedly within a few months after the pain began. The problem is that I also started to draw every night after work around the same time that my wrist started hurting. But, now that I think about it I had already been drawing regularly for a few years before the pain began so maybe that was not the deciding factor, but maybe the fall was. I tried everything from rest to icing and heat baths as well as wrist exercises to even out any imbalances. So flexor and extensor work in every direction possible. Fast forward a bit and I have struggled on and off with drawing and construction work on the side as much as I can handle with each until my wrist gives in and I have to stop everything completely for a 3 month period with icing until it calms down to normal. I went to a few doctors and tendonitis diagnosis as well as a referral to a more agressive wrist doctor which means surgery, regretfully. Tendinitis is a generic term when there is no clear cause of the problem. I have never felt like I had tendon pain or nerve pain 100% sure!!!! I always felt from the beginning it was some kind of scaphoid tear or something in that vicinity. After 3 years of this crap my wrist started popping painfully with a ulnar deviation, so s side to side movement of my wrist toward the pinky side. Basically every morning it feels as if I have wrist arthiritis and have to pop my wrist even after 1 hour of drawing. The doctor I went to talked me into thinking it was cmc arthritis of the thumb joint which technically is part of the wrist and they did a lrti of my hand and wrist so they took out the wrist bone it sits on and suspended my thumb with a borrowed tendon. I still have the same problem of before but now I am recovering from that. It's been about 4 months and I'm doing ok but I still have a jacked up wrist. MRI arthrogram shows nothing as well as xrays showing what looks like an awesome wrist joint!! Trying to talk the doctor into an arthroscopy to finally see whats really going on. He wanted to wait as I think he knows we didn't do the right surgery. I go back in 1 month and hopefully he'll agree. 4 years of this crap is too much at 34 and trying to be a man and do construction and hard work as well as working out and art. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with this.

Last edited by tdog2; 08-13-2017 at 12:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
Amrama
(female)

Amrama HB User
Re: Chronic Wrist Pain Help

Just a quick question, has anyone or have you considered a cortisone injection? I have carpel tunnel in both wrists and trying to avoid surgery and just had one injection on the most painful one as a "trial". It has amazingly helped the pain, but I personally won't continue with steroids for the rest of my life as I don't like my side effects, the swelling face and butterfly red, but not everyone gets that.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
tdog2
(male)

tdog2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrama View Post
Just a quick question, has anyone or have you considered a cortisone injection? I have carpel tunnel in both wrists and trying to avoid surgery and just had one injection on the most painful one as a "trial". It has amazingly helped the pain, but I personally won't continue with steroids for the rest of my life as I don't like my side effects, the swelling face and butterfly red, but not everyone gets that.
Yes I have had two injections. First one worked pretty well and it was injected in my wrist by my scaphoid. The second one was injected into the cmc joint of the thumb. Should have known in hindsight that it was an improper diagnosis when it didn't work at all. First one lasted about a month.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Queenie99
(female)

Queenie99 HB User

I've had several injections in my left wrist. I got relief for a couple of years before I decided to proceed with surgery to correct the issue.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
curiouscastanza
(male)

curiouscastanza HB User

There are more than just steroid based treatment. If the steroids worked it means the tissue is still uncalcified. Look into braces etc to ease the stress on the wrist also.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
tdog2
(male)

tdog2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscastanza View Post
There are more than just steroid based treatment. If the steroids worked it means the tissue is still uncalcified. Look into braces etc to ease the stress on the wrist also.
Thanks, I've used braces for years as well as wrap and non use to combat my wrist pain. It all works until you need to use your wrist again. Is there no solutions? Imaging shows a very healthy wrist. My symptoms are popping pain every morning and constant clicking with ulnar deviation. Could it be something a simple arthroscopy could see and then fix? Maybe something similar to a meniscus tear in a knee?

Reply Reply

Tags
wrist, wrist cracking popping arthritis, wrist injury, wrist pain