It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
(female)

DC4ever HB User
Unhappy Broken Arm pain

I broke my humerus at the top about 4 weeks ago. The doctor said it would take 3-4 weeks to heal. My problem is not where the break is - that doesn't hurt unless I lift my arm too high. What hurts is the lower part of my upper arm. It feels like someone has punched me there really hard with their knuckle. The bruising finally went away but the doctor says its just part of healing. Does anyone know what this pain is and how long it will last? Also, is there anything I can do to help it? The doctors are not much help - let it rest and wear the sling but I have to go back to work. I am a secretary.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Broken Arm pain

justwhat was the exact mechanism of your injury? how did you actually break that arm and what was involved? was there ANY lower arm type of trauma done there? this could just be a nerve muscle thing you have going on or it could be something more. when do you get the cast off? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

DC4ever HB User

I got my foot tangled in blanket and I fell - all my weight landing on my arm. I have a proximal (sp) humerus fracture so they can't put it in a cast, at least that's what I'm told. It has been a little over 4 weeks so I'm not sure why it is still hurting. It seems like if I find a way to stop the break from hurting, the muscle or tendon in the lower part of my arm hurts and vis a versa. At any rate, I am in constant pain. Doctors will not listen to me so I have nothing to help the pain except Advil and the pain is wearing on me. I can't figure out what the pain is in the lower part of my arm. I had another x-ray done and they don't see anything broken. They tell me it is tendonitis and everything is inflamed from the break. When I first broke it they said 3-4 weeks. It is well past that now and it still hurts a lot. Any advice or like experience would be appreciated.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would speak to them about at least trying some form of actual muscle relaxer just to see if this doesn't make a difference in you. it could be that simple. was this a complete break where the bones overrode each other or just a simple fracture that was picked up on x ray? it would make a huge difference in how your muscle/tendon/ligaments would react,thats why i am asking. so this is just wrapped and splinted then?

what still actually hurts,the actual break or that spot? or both? one BIG thing they should have known is that advil or any real NSAID can inhibit bone fusion. it is not usually recommended when trying to reattach any type of bone to bone. i would seriously speak with whoever is in charge here about better pain management. i really do think,just based upon my own experience and how muslce will react to trauma(then being immobilized) and ongoing inflammation,that a good muscle relaxer would benefit you the most right now.either way,i would seriously speak wioth your doc about whats going on and how to best manage it. you DO deserve better treatment,espescially after a break. this just really sounds like alot of excess muscle issues for various reasons. the break area is understanable but the muscles also take a good hit/trauma too. and they do not take well to being forced into being immobile either. but definitely speak up about the advil or any NSAID thing and trying to fuse bone. its just not usually recommended at all in these types of cases. i wish you luck and hope this feels better soon for you. please keep me posted,Marcia

Old 05-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
(female)

DC4ever HB User
Angry Re: Broken Arm pain

Thanks so much. I live in Maryland and there just are not any doctors (and I've been to over 100) that care at all. They are like cattle rustlers here - they run as many patients as they can in and out in an hour. I haven't spent more than 10 minutes with a doctor in 3 years and I've had 3 surgeries in that period of time. It is just a fracture, not a complete break but the pain is really wearing on me. So I shouldn't be taking Advil? Great - I've been eating them like candy trying to keep the pain down. That's what the doctors told me to take. Is Aleve or Tylenol an NSAID? I called the doctor a couple days ago but they haven't called me back yet. That's typical for around here. In answer to your question about where it hurts, it alternates. If I take it out of the sling, it hurts where I broke it and if I put it in the sling, the muscles/tendons hurt. I can't win. Thanks so much for listening. My family is really tired of hearing me complain so I'm trying my best to ignore it but it isn't easy.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

i would really try if possible to stick to the tylenol. the NSAID thing is very real and they should have at least mentioned this to you. some docs/nurses are just too stupid for words sometimes,believe me, despite my own NS telling me not to take any NSAIDS after my c spine fusion surgery was done just becasue it can hinder bone fusion,his stupid nurse kept telling me to take the crap. it was nuts really. but NSAIDS are a no no when it comes to bone fusion or attachment. like i mentioned above,in your situation,i really would try and obtain an Rx for some form of muscle relaxer,it really would help with the pain. tylenol may be the only thing you really should be taking right now. i am just really shocked that any doc who sets broken bones would tell you to actually take something that would possibly cause a non attachment or incomplete one. you would think?? he would just know this. icing could also help too.

believe me, i just spent five weeks in a sling for my shoulder surgery and the muscles went insane on me. it was only the valium i had that really seemed to help the most. the percocet didn;t seem to do anything compared to the valium. your muscles just suffer alot from just having that sling on in and of itself(everything gets just really scrunched up into the neck area and tight). that i found out the hard way. i really would try and get ahold of someone in that docs office about at least trying a muscle relaxer. it would help some.hang in there. FB

Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
(female)

daltrog HB User

DC4ever-

Are you still out there? I am where you were in 2008. I have the same type of fracture (no displacement) and the same type of pain from an injury pulling a dock rope that dislocated my shoulder. Can't take NSAIDS...Tylenol doesn't cut it. Darvocet or Percocet make me sicker than a dog. I'm using Salonpas OTC pain patches (like Icy Hot) now, but getting frantic as I lose mobility and am told that my bones must be very weak and porous to break. As an active, health-minded 56 year old, I am in shock and having complicatons of other inherited conditions that are usually easily managed. What was your outcome...or is there anyone else out there who can give me some hope?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
(female)

daltrog HB User

P.S. I fractured the (large) head of the humerus and have labral and rotator cuff tears. I would love to hear from anybody that has had experience with this type of injury. At 10 weeks out my pain is still bad and my mobility worsened. I'm hoping and praying that I don't need surgery...

Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

Bones can take longer to heal and then there is the fact that your muscles have been imobille. you will need to take it slow and easy. not back to normal asap.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
(female)

daltrog HB User

Thank you. I know that's true. I am waiting on an appointment for a second opinion. Because of the delay in X-ray and MRI, it would appear that the treatment for my problem has been done backwards. I was given PT and exercises and doing them (with no progress), and then the tears and fracture were seen on the tests. Now I am encouraged to do less (only passive ROM). For me this is frustrating because I am having even more pain with less activity, and obviously, my range of motion is going down (significantly). Also, I cannot take NSAIDS or pain medication. I am kind of at my wit's end on this one (night and day).

Old 08-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

Ice is a good pain alternative and aspirin.
you can still move your fingers lighlty but if the tears are in the muscle that can take more time. tore some leg tendons and i was great shape before. that took a while. i have a bad arm that keeps dislocating. it is not fun. but the less you move now the less damage long term ie nerves muscles etc. try to learn deep breathng relaxtion and the ice. it can help. the more one worries the more tense your muscles can become and that can delay healing.

Closed Thread