It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
(female)

sancinchris HB User
Smile screw/plate for broken arm problems

My 41 year old daughter was in a car accident where the air bag fractured her lower arm 4 years ago. They opted to use a plate and screws to secure the arm back into place since the bone was missing pieces. We were told this could be left in permanently. In the last 2 years whenever she lifts anything heavy (helping me with grocery's) almost immediately there is swelling in the area of the plate and she says it pains her to the point that she can't use it for a while. She went to an orthopaedic surgen who told her nothing was wrong and basically that she has to live with it. I have suggested she return (2nd visit) to the original Dr. for more options. She exercises, is a health conscience young lady. She unfortunately has moderate asthma and allergies that requires occasional use of prednisone, albuteral and advair. An odd cluster of skin bumps on that elbow appear when her arm hurts. She went to an allergist and he said they were from stress and they would only occur for a short time (a few years) but I think they are related to the plate.
I hope someone has a suggestion as to how we can help her because I'm her mom and I am out of ideas.
Thank you very much for having this forum!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
(male)

kolby1988 HB User
Re: screw/plate for broken arm problems

hey i broke my arm 8 years ago and had 2 plates and 4 screws put in...i have the same problem with my arm...if i lift too much weight it hurts...i hurt it again and my arm is swelled and is very sore and cant even hold a glass of water it hurts soo bad...its been a week and it has gotten worse...i am going to get the plates removed...my arm is pretty well useless right now...its worth a shot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
(female)

tulefogg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancinchris View Post
My 41 year old daughter was in a car accident where the air bag fractured her lower arm 4 years ago. They opted to use a plate and screws to secure the arm back into place since the bone was missing pieces. We were told this could be left in permanently. In the last 2 years whenever she lifts anything heavy (helping me with grocery's) almost immediately there is swelling in the area of the plate and she says it pains her to the point that she can't use it for a while. She went to an orthopaedic surgen who told her nothing was wrong and basically that she has to live with it. I have suggested she return (2nd visit) to the original Dr. for more options. She exercises, is a health conscience young lady. She unfortunately has moderate asthma and allergies that requires occasional use of prednisone, albuteral and advair. An odd cluster of skin bumps on that elbow appear when her arm hurts. She went to an allergist and he said they were from stress and they would only occur for a short time (a few years) but I think they are related to the plate.
I hope someone has a suggestion as to how we can help her because I'm her mom and I am out of ideas.
Thank you very much for having this forum!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 04-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
(female)

tulefogg HB User

I broke my arm around 5 years ago, they did surgery and put in a plate with a number of screws. Just recently I started having some pain in the arm where the plate is. I went to a surgeon and he took some really fancy x-rays and there it was one screw was longer than the other. His suggestion was that I could have the plate surgically removed or just live with it. It doesn't happen all the time, but occasionally I extend my arm and the pain is just terrible. Thank goodness it is just occasionally. I'm hoping that I can tolerate it because I certainly do not want additional surgery.

Closed Thread