It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #61
(female)

shelleydf73 HB User
Re: ulnar shortening osteotomy complication

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lee View Post
No, I still have a lump that is tender to touch and my rom is still reduced and painful if I push it. My pc doc. took x-ray last week and it looked fine to him. I have an appointment to see my surgeon on Wed. I think it is maybe tendon irritation. Heat feels good - just comforting I think. And I'm wearing my splint all day, everyday right now so it can rest. I went from being thrilled at how well I was healing to being bummed out.
How long ago was your surgery? Mine was at the beginning of June. The problem with mine now though is that the ulna is too short because the surgery in June was to graft the site that was a nonunion, but there was too much dead bone. So next I have to shorten the radius so that the bones will be even. I have NO ROM for pronation in the right hand now. Bummer!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #62
(female)

D Lee HB User

It's only been 2 months for me. My radius was already short because of a fracture I had many years ago. So shortening my ulna was to make them more even. You can use my joke now...I tell people I'm a little short handed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #63
(female)

D Lee HB User

I'm feeling better! Saw my surgeon today and everything looks good. My problem is with soft tissue irritation. He said it is not uncommon...the plate irritates the soft tissue and then it can get flared up from time to time. He said to ice it when it does. Also, I need to keep my splint on when I'm out and about. I had been feeling so good, I started forgetting to wear it. That lead to me overusing it, adding to the inflammation. I go back in 3 weeks for a recheck.

Last edited by D Lee; 01-06-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #64
(female)

kymmieb112 HB User

Hi All,
I went to see the surgeon and he did not recommend surgery nor did he say not to have surgery. That it was up to me and my quality of life at the moment. It is terrible so I agreed to the surgery on Feb.8, 2010. He explained that he will take out a piece of bone and attach the bone back together with a plate. But the plate may have to be taken out within a year depending on how well I tolerate it. He will also due arthroscopic surgery because my TFCC is torn and some other ligament(can't remember the name) between the small bones in my hand. He also said I would be in a cast for 4-6 weeks but could go back to work in two. I would be on light duty and not be able to use this arm until the cast is off and then only lift nothing over a 1lb., PT would start and a full recovery would be about five months. This seems like a big surgery to do as an outpatient. Has everyone else had this surgery as an outpatient?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #65
(female)

D Lee HB User

Yes! It was done as outpatient on me. Not a problem...I would rather go home then stay in the hospital. I also had my radial styloid removed at the same time. I didn't have a cast. Just a partial cast for 8 days, and then my stitches were removed and I got a removable splint to wear. I'm still wearing the splint during the day. It's been 9 weeks now for me. 2 days ago, I had exrays and you can just bearly see the bone trying to heal. My surgeon says it takes 3 to 4 months for the bone to heal. I'll see him again in 3 weeks. Just don't over do it when your arm starts feeling better. Good luck to you!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #66
(female)

shelleydf73 HB User

I think all of the osteotomy surgeries are done outpatient. My last 3 were. I was leaving the surgical facility an hour after I woke up. Trust me, you'd much rather be at home! Good luck with the upcoming surgery! Mostly, elevate your arm after you're home!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #67
(female)

kymmieb112 HB User
Smile Re: ulnar shortening osteotomy complication

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleydf73 View Post
I think all of the osteotomy surgeries are done outpatient. My last 3 were. I was leaving the surgical facility an hour after I woke up. Trust me, you'd much rather be at home! Good luck with the upcoming surgery! Mostly, elevate your arm after you're home!!!
Thanks for the info and I will elevate it - I am just nervous - hate to see me on the day of surgery. I am fortunate though, my son(Aaron) and daughter-in-law(Nikki) live with me so I will be well taken care of and Nikki is home all day.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #68
(female)

lsker HB User

Hi Kymmie,

I have a couple of questions for you...

When did your wrists start hurting? Does one hurt more than the other?
Can I ask how old you are? Just curious...were you ever a gymnast?

I'm 41 and never had wrist problems until this past sept. Right now my pain is mild and controllable with splinting and daily use of anti-inflammatories...however, unfortunately, i already have the diagnosis of bi-lateral ulnar impaction syndrome (my ulna bones are 6 mm too long) ...and am very aware of the fix for this condition...surgery on both arms. I also have carpal tunnel symptoms in my left wrist...needless to say, i'm totally bummed out and anxious over all of this...i have two little boys (6 and 3) to care for...

I almost wish I would have been told it was arthritis...until the pain was unbearable...doc says my wrists aren't bad enough for surgery yet and told me to wait until the pain is unbearable. So now I sit and wait for pain and worry about surgery in the future...

Somebody said on another website that an ice water machine can be put under your dressing after surgery which circulates ice water around your arm to control the pain and swelling...she said it was incredible...maybe you could ask about it....haven't asked my doc about this yet though...

Take care!!

lynne

Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #69
(female)

D Lee HB User

Apparently this plate irritation is going to be a recurring thing for me. It just flared up again yersterday. I'm really having a hard time remembering to take it easy. Some days my arm feels so good I forget and then find myself lifting and pulling and pushing things with it. At least I know what it is now. I'll ice it and rest it and it should improve. I see the doc again in two weeks.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #70
(female)

eck HB User

Sorry to hear that you're still having probs with plate irritation. I haven't yet experienced that problem but still have pain in my left wrist (the one that's had the surgery). I completely understand your frustration at always having to remember to take it easy and have to ice several times a day. I'm now 7 months post-op and still having to do those things. I haven't put any posts up for a while because I fear that I will scare the people who have not yet had the procedure. This post has made me realize that my results are not typical and that my left wrist will likely never be the same. It sounds like everyone else has had better results than me so try to be grateful for that. I know it can be very hard. I try to take each day as it comes and just hope that strengthening my left wrist will help with the pain and "tweaking."

Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #71
(female)

D Lee HB User

Sorry to hear that eck. Is your pain better, worse, or the same as before the osteotomy? Did you have any surgery done to the wrist joint itself to "clean" the joint up? I had debridment done last spring and there is a hole in my tfcc that can't be fixed. I still have pain in the same area as you describe, on the pinky side, right where the wrist joint is. My doc says it will take a full year before I will know the full benefit of the surgery. Prior to my osteotomy, the doc was also suggesting partial fusion. I refused fusion at this point. I wanted to preserve as much movement for as long as possible. My ROM has been significantly impaired for 12 years (following a bad fracture to my distal radius). I now see improvement in my ROM so I'm already happy with my results. I too think that maybe I never will be free of the ulnar sided wrist pain, but I know my wrist is better off now that the impaction is corrected. And the degree of pain, for me, is similar to how it was a couple years ago, which is a great improvement over how bad it had gotten prior to the osteotomy. I know my situation is alot different than yours; I can't immagine needing both arms done! You are about 4 months ahead of me down the recovery road. And I'm already thinking, "C'mon it's been 3 months, shouldn't I be all healed by now." So I can only immagine your frustration. Please keep me posted on how you are doing? I wish the best for you!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #72
(female)

eck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lee View Post
Sorry to hear that eck. Is your pain better, worse, or the same as before the osteotomy? Did you have any surgery done to the wrist joint itself to "clean" the joint up? I had debridment done last spring and there is a hole in my tfcc that can't be fixed. I still have pain in the same area as you describe, on the pinky side, right where the wrist joint is. My doc says it will take a full year before I will know the full benefit of the surgery. Prior to my osteotomy, the doc was also suggesting partial fusion. I refused fusion at this point. I wanted to preserve as much movement for as long as possible. My ROM has been significantly impaired for 12 years (following a bad fracture to my distal radius). I now see improvement in my ROM so I'm already happy with my results. I too think that maybe I never will be free of the ulnar sided wrist pain, but I know my wrist is better off now that the impaction is corrected. And the degree of pain, for me, is similar to how it was a couple years ago, which is a great improvement over how bad it had gotten prior to the osteotomy. I know my situation is alot different than yours; I can't immagine needing both arms done! You are about 4 months ahead of me down the recovery road. And I'm already thinking, "C'mon it's been 3 months, shouldn't I be all healed by now." So I can only immagine your frustration. Please keep me posted on how you are doing? I wish the best for you!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #73
(female)

eck HB User

Hi D. Lee,

Thanks for responding. I think right now my pain is about the same or maybe slightly better than it was before the ulna-shortening surgery. My doc also cleaned up the beat up TFCC. He said that my TFCC didn't have a hole and wasn't torn but that most of the cartilage around that one bone and joint is gone. It does seem to be getting better as I get stronger so maybe after a year, I'll be more "normal." I guess we just have to be patient - something that has always been a struggle for me.

So far I haven't really had any ROM issues so maybe I take that for granted. I try to focus on the positives but it's hard sometimes. Right now, I have to balance driving, showering, being on the computer and really can't do much cooking or cleaning if I do anything else. It's very frustrating but I'm glad that I can now drive short distances, walk my dog using a waist leash and go to the gym to work my lower body.

It is very discouraging to think about going through all this again with my dominant hand. But I know I need to do it. That's kind-of why I want to get it over with before I get too used to the independence I've had over the last few months. I know I'll be going back to being completely dependent on my boyfriend for my meals, driving me around, etc. Lucky for me, he's very supportive and understanding. I go back to the doc on Monday so I'll find out then if he's willing to schedule the right wrist surgery. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #74
(female)

kymmieb112 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsker View Post
Hi Kymmie,

I have a couple of questions for you...

When did your wrists start hurting? Does one hurt more than the other?
Can I ask how old you are? Just curious...were you ever a gymnast?

I'm 41 and never had wrist problems until this past sept. Right now my pain is mild and controllable with splinting and daily use of anti-inflammatories...however, unfortunately, i already have the diagnosis of bi-lateral ulnar impaction syndrome (my ulna bones are 6 mm too long) ...and am very aware of the fix for this condition...surgery on both arms. I also have carpal tunnel symptoms in my left wrist...needless to say, i'm totally bummed out and anxious over all of this...i have two little boys (6 and 3) to care for...

I almost wish I would have been told it was arthritis...until the pain was unbearable...doc says my wrists aren't bad enough for surgery yet and told me to wait until the pain is unbearable. So now I sit and wait for pain and worry about surgery in the future...

Somebody said on another website that an ice water machine can be put under your dressing after surgery which circulates ice water around your arm to control the pain and swelling...she said it was incredible...maybe you could ask about it....haven't asked my doc about this yet though...

Take care!!

lynne

Old 01-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #75
(female)

kymmieb112 HB User

Hi Isker,
I am 46 and had pain for many years and I've never practiced gymnastics. I agree with the doctors wait until is unbearable because I understand having small children, my son is 23 now. I only had to take care of one rambunctious kid, let alone two. From what I understand from the doctor this surgery will not heal fully or rather I will not be back to full use for at least 5 months to a year.
I have always worked in factories, so I thought it was just from overuse. The doctors kept telling me it was arthritis. I splinted, iced, ran warm water on my wrists and took pain relievers out the ying-yang at times. The pain would relieve itself for awhile but always came back. The past year the pain has become unbearable at times. I recently changed primary care doctors and I went in telling him about my symptoms and he thought it was because my wrists are so little, but he ordered an x-ray just in case. They diagnosed me with ulnar impaction syndrome and then I went to a orthopedist specializing in wrists. That is when I found out that my bone is about 3 mm too long and it is probably a congenintal thing. I told him I have pain in my right and but is not as bad as the left one. I did not ask if I would need surgery on that one. I am waiting to see how this goes. Unsure about the ice thing. I go to college part-time but have to take the spring semester off because of the surgery. Our administator had the same surgery and she said to make sure I elevate, take the pain med a liitle before the next dose is due and not to try and be a hero or heroine in our case. And to make sure I go to PT, she is very happy with her surgery and the pain relief it has given her. I wish you much luck!!!

Closed Thread