It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
(male)

dfewin HB User
Question Broken wrist healed with a bump question

My 10 year old son broke his arm about 3 inches above the wrist. It was the larger bone (radius) was completely broken and no longer attached. The smaller bone was cracked but still attached and didn't appear to be the problem. The way the bone split, the doctor could not set it in the ER. They set him in a sugar tong cast (sp?) and scheduled him for surgery 5 days later. The doctor told us he suspected that the muscles are preventing him from setting it correctly and the plan was to try to use a small pin and crowbar the two bones so they could be lined up. After surgery, the doctor told us that the crowbar method did not work. The bone split oddly and some piece of the bone was preventing it from staying in place. He had to cut open the wrist to line it up and inserted a pin that protruded through the skin. This pin would be removed after it was healed. They put a long arm cast and mentioned that they put his wrist in a natural position which had his hand curving in towards his body.

Two weeks later, the long arm cast was removed in an appointment with the doctor's assitant. With the cast off, my son and I noticed that the area where the break occured had a bump. It concerned me, but did not want to make out like it was a big deal in front of my son. I asked the assistant why this was there and he concluded it was because of the muscles and how they formed to the cast and not to worry about it. They took the stiches out and put a short arm cast on.

Five weeks later, the short arm cast was removed in an appointment with the doctor's assitant. The bump was still there and once again I showed my concern. He took some x-rays and still insisted that with some physical therapy it would reduce. He claims that sometimes the bump is present and over the years it would eventually be not as noticable.

The physical therapist said he has seen this kind of bump before and it was due to how the muscles are in the cast. He tried to re-assure us that the bump would reduce. After around 2.5 weeks of physical therapy, my son was starting to get some strength back. By 4 weeks, he could do push-ups but the bump was not going away. The physical therapist sent a Fax to the doctor's office indicating his progress and our concerns.

Another follow-up appointment was had with the doctor's assitant (4 weeks from the last appointment). The assistant took some additional x-rays and now says the bump is not muscle but the radius bone. It is not straight but the x-ray looks like to be about 35 degrees deflected from where the break occured. He claims that the doctor has told him before that it should straighten in time. I was not to confident of his answer and it has been on my mind a lot. My son feels no pain when he moves it. He has most of his motion. If his bump does get hit, he flinches and says it hurts. I guess it still could be just Sensistive?

My family thinks it looks odd and says I should ask more questions. I am concerned because the assistant says "I think the doctor says it should in so many years". I was planning on calling the actual doctor to discuss my concerns with him. We received a phone call yesterday, and the actual doctor wants to see my son in 3 weeks.

Anyone have any experience to tell me if this is normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
(male)

darksilver84 HB User
Re: Broken wrist healed with a bump question

Well, personally, ive broken alot of bones in my body.
I also happen to be a nurse, and i work n trauma-orthopedics in my hospital, so i know quite a bit about bones

While i cant tell you anything for sure concerning your son'S arm. i can tell you that a residual bump can take years to disapear.
When the bone heals, at the site of the break, it created some new fibers, wich in time harden, and become new bone.
But it always created these fibers AROUND the break, making, as you could say, a *ball* of bone around the break.
With time, this *ball* of bone, will gradually disolve any unecessairy parts, to finish closely to what the original bone looked llike.

I broke my right collarbone like 3 years ago, and theres still a bump on it, though its less that wha it was before.
I broke my left fibula in august, and theres also a bump i can feel where the break healed... and mine is still a bit sensitve when i hit right on the bump. i guess that takes time too, and its different for everyone..

i hope this helps!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
(male)

dfewin HB User

I think this is not a bump of fibers but the actual bone misplacement.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-19-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures - as per the posting policy

Old 01-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
(female)

CaydenJ HB User

You should get some x-rays taken asap if you feel that something is not right.

Closed Thread