It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
(male)

bdub211 HB Userbdub211 HB User
Kienbock's Disease / Total Wrist Fusion

I was diagnosed with what the orthopedic Surgeon said was Kienbock's Disease. Essentially the disease is Avascular Necrosis, and what happens is the Lunate in the wrist loses blood supply due to having only one blood vessel and basically dies. My only option now is total wrist fusion. So, has anyone ever had a total wrist fusion and if so what is the recovery time? Even if you haven't had a wrist fusion all answers are appreciated and welcome. Thanks

Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
(female)

ADKLADY HB UserADKLADY HB User
Unhappy Re: Kienbock's Disease / Total Wrist Fusion

I too was just recently diagnosed with Keinbock's disease in my dominant wrist. I have to have a basal CMC joint arthroplasty soon in the same hand. The Dr. told me that he can't fix both problems at once. Has anyone else been in this situation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
(male)

mikeflyer HB User
Talking Re: Kienbock's Disease / Total Wrist Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub211 View Post
I was diagnosed with what the orthopedic Surgeon said was Kienbock's Disease. Essentially the disease is Avascular Necrosis, and what happens is the Lunate in the wrist loses blood supply due to having only one blood vessel and basically dies. My only option now is total wrist fusion. So, has anyone ever had a total wrist fusion and if so what is the recovery time? Even if you haven't had a wrist fusion all answers are appreciated and welcome. Thanks
Hi i have had Kienbocks Disease for over two years and i had total wrist fusion 5 weeks ago on my left hand the Surgeon ended up taking all the bone out of my hand as it was so bad i cannot tell you how long the recovery time will be as its only been 5 weeks but at the end of the day i should be out of pain well i hope so i will be in a cast for around 8 weeks i go back next week to see the Surgeon and i think he will take a x ray then and see how things are going if you like i will keep you posted or if you need to know anything just let me know Mike

Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
(male)

SS13 HB User
Re: Kienbock's Disease / Total Wrist Fusion

Hi,

I too have had the total wrist fusion due to Kienbock`s. I had surgery only on the 17th December 2011, three weeks ago, and so far so good. Basically, as you mentioned, there is very little the consultants will do fro KD in the late stages. I decided that due to the pain, and also that I just wanted to get on with my life, I am 42 by the way, That the total fusion was best for me. The operation took nearly three hours, taking bone graft from my side, and placing the bone into where the lunate had collapsed. My side hurt more than my wrist, but three weeks post op, I am feeling stronger each day, and I have also cut back on the painkillers.

I have asked about possible alternatives for fusion, however, it looks like any op apart from the full fusion would require another op somewhere further down the line, but everyone is slightly different I suppose. I was STAGE 4 so my wrist was like mush.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-06-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: please do not copy from another website

Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
(male)

bdub211 HB Userbdub211 HB User

I apologize for not getting back to all of you sooner, my comp died. I hope you all enjoyed the holidays. I too am stage 4 and am still considereing the surgery. I appreciate all of your responses and look forward to any updates going further. Thank You

Old 01-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
(male)

mikeflyer HB User
Cool Re: Kienbock's Disease / Total Wrist Fusion

Hi all just a quick update its 7 weeks after my total wrist fusion cast come off yesterday only having a bit of pain now it dose feel funny when you look at it and cannot move the wrist . have a bit of movment in my fingers but time will sort that out

Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
(male)

mizterz HB User

Just stumbled across this site. I was diagnosed with Kienbocks (left wrist) back in 1981. Had the Swanson procedure (silicone implant) to remedy the problem. I am thankful that I got 30 years out of it, but xrays show the implant has broken down, wrist is shot. Since the original procedure, I have catered to my right wrist over the years I know have ligament/tendon damage in my right wrist. Kind of at a loss right now. Need surgery on both wrists. They are saying they have to go in my left wrist to remove all of the bad bone and particles. Looking like wrist fusion at a minimum. Extremely nervous about the procedure or confused on what wrist to do first. I'm left handed and can't really afford to be out of work for any length of time. I don't really do physical work (work on computers). Any thoughts on how quick I could get back to work? Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
(male)

mikeflyer HB User
Smile Re: Kienbock's Disease / Total Wrist Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterz View Post
Just stumbled across this site. I was diagnosed with Kienbocks (left wrist) back in 1981. Had the Swanson procedure (silicone implant) to remedy the problem. I am thankful that I got 30 years out of it, but xrays show the implant has broken down, wrist is shot. Since the original procedure, I have catered to my right wrist over the years I know have ligament/tendon damage in my right wrist. Kind of at a loss right now. Need surgery on both wrists. They are saying they have to go in my left wrist to remove all of the bad bone and particles. Looking like wrist fusion at a minimum. Extremely nervous about the procedure or confused on what wrist to do first. I'm left handed and can't really afford to be out of work for any length of time. I don't really do physical work (work on computers). Any thoughts on how quick I could get back to work? Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.
Hi well its been 11 week post total wrist fusion still have a bit of pain but nothing like i had got some movment in my fingers but told it could take a year to get good movment i think you could get back on a computer after about 8 to 10 weeks if you have it done all i can say is as soon as you can start to move you fingers i know you will be in a cast for 8 weeks well i was anyway i hope things work out for you and try not to be nervous my friend it will be ok

Old 07-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
(male)

willb87 HB User

Hi there, how is your hand/wrist now? I had the same surgery for Kienbocks in my right hand and am about 3 weeks post surgery and can move my fingers fine but a bit sore.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
(female)

Xoxorice HB User
Lightbulb Re: Kienbock's Disease / Total Wrist Fusion

I was diagnosed with keinbocks over 10 years ago. I have had a partial wrist fusion. The took a tendon from my arm and anchovies it up in place of my luniate bone. About 5 years ago I had to have the orthopod go back in to remove scar tissue and bone spurs. I now have to go back in and fix my thumbside because my thumb is no longer in it's socket. So needless to say I've been dealing with all this for awhail. A couple things I've learned... Surgery will improve the pain, Do all the physcal therapy they offer. *You will heal soooo much faster and your range of motion will get better faster !!! Fell free to post if you have any questions !!
GOOD LUCK !!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-17-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
(male)

mikeflyer HB User

Hi all just a update its been 18 month now after total wrist fusion been having a bit of pain with it when I try and do thing with my left hand and a bit of swelling
The bad news is I have got Kienbock's Disease in my right wrist now and waiting to have a operation on it the surgeon is going to try a revascularization of the lunate. and radial shortening its going to be hard with my left hand the way it is so cannot do anything after the op I just don't know what to do have the op and hope it works or leave it ant thoughts out there and has anyone had this op ?

Closed Thread