It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

shelleydf73 HB User
ulnar shortening osteotomy

My Ortho Summary: since it has been a while since I posted an update.

2/08 Fell over dog, landed on palms.
3/08 Dr. Mike Robichaux ortho eval. Left TFC tear w pos. variant of ulna, 90* full arm splint.
4/08 D/C splint. Mobic. MRI & arthrogram.
05/06/08 Sx - left wrist scope, repair TFC, ulna shortening osteotomy.
10/24/08 Fell in kitchen, landed on right palm. Ortho - x-ray pos. variance of ulna. Inj. Depo-medrol. 90* full arm splint.
02/05/09 Sx - Right TFC repair, ulna shortening osteotomy.
04/01/09 Delayed union right ulna, bone stimulator.
05/26/09 Sx - removal left ulna hardware. Right ulna hardware removed, graft from right radius for 6-7mm neg. var., new hardware applied, left with 4mm neg. var.
07/29/09 Dynasplint for right arm. Right EPL tendonitis. Celebrex.
08/24/09 Carpal tunnel & tendonitis right wrist. Celestone inj. right wrist. Celebrex. Graft sites healed on both radius and ulna.
10/29/09 DRUJ incongruity. 30-40* pronation.
01/15/2010 No chg.
03/25/2010 Sx - Right distal radius osteotomy, removal of ulna hardware, right carpal tunnel release, right 3rd dorsal compartment release w/ EPL transposition, 6-7mm negative variance of ulna improved to 3-4mm now.
06/02/2010 Right DRUJ instability & osteoarthritis. Naprosyn. Rec. Darrach procedure over wrist replacement w/ removal of radius plate.
08/17/2010 Sx per Dr. Eric George - hardware removal from radius, lat forearm hernia repair due to unclosed fascia, uhead ulnar head replacement.

I am 2 weeks postop and still have considerable pain at times and some nights where I feel as if I haven't slept at all. Anyone ever hear of someone having an ulnar head replacement? My doctor called it a total ulna replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg day 14 postop 002.jpg (85.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg day 14 postop 003.jpg (95.6 KB, 7 views)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
(female)

shelleydf73 HB User
ulnar shortening osteotomy

I am 10 weeks postop now and am still having a good deal of pain. Still limited motion, mostly trouble with pronation. Now have osteoarthritis too. Ugh. Hoping that in time I will have full range of motion back, as well as strength. Incisions don't look so great but I'm not concerned with that as much as I am with motion and pain. I'm the 3rd person in the state of Louisiana with the U-Head implant so it is fairly new. It is settled well in the ulna and looks to be healing well inside.

My ortho surgeon considers a nonunion if there is abslutely no sign of regrowth at 6 months. My nonunion looked like it was just set too far apart and was getting more of a gap as time went on.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
(female)

D Lee HB User
Re: ulnar shortening osteotomy complication

Sorry you're still in considerable pain Shelley. I have osteoarthritis too. My surgeon did a radial styloidectomy to remove some of it. Does your surgeon expect you to regain full ROM? I have regained some, but not all. And my pain is reduce a lot, but not completely gone. Nor do I expect to ever be pain free. But it is soooooo much better now. After my surgeon discovered the arthritis, he discussed a wrist fusion or possibly a ulnar head replacement. But after my ct scan he decided he was willing to do the ulnar osteotomy. Now, it's been one year, and although the plate is quite bothersome, removal is not an option at this point because the bone isn't fully healed. But I can put up with the plate irritation, it's nothing compared to what I was dealing with before the osteotomy.

Good luck and keep me posted about your progress.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
(female)

eck HB User

Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well as we approach the holiday season. I haven't posted for a while because I've been doing well. I'm able to work and do a lot more than I could before. My wrists are still very weak and I have to wear either braces or wrist widgets but I think I'm making very slow progress, which is better than no progress at all.

I just had a new problem crop up a few days ago. I was at work and noticed that my right wrist was tender at the incision site and that I had a noticeable lump there. I feared that my bone was still not healed and became separated so I went to the ER for an x-ray. It showed that the bone was fine but I'm concerned that I may be having plate irritation. I recalled seeing posts about it and went back and read them. It seems that most others that had it were more recently post-op. I had my right wrist osteotomy 9 months ago. Over the last few days, the lump has gotten smaller, less red, swollen and tender. My concern is that I really don't want to need plate removal surgery since that will interfere with my job.

Does anyone have a similar story they can share? Has anyone had plate removal surgery? If so, what is the recovery time?

Thanks!
ECK

Old 11-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
(female)

shelleydf73 HB User

Hi, Eck. I had bilateral plate removal for the same reason. Kept having big goose-egg looking swelling over the plate / incision lines come up here & there. Removal was about the same as the initial surgery, same postop pain but ONLY for a few days of bad pain, much less than when it was put in, that's for sure! No PT afterwards either for me, just basic stretching at home and gradual daily use. You'll have the big bulky dressing for the first few days afterwards due to drainage and swelling. I'm soooo glad I had mine out! Good luck and keep us posted.

Shelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck View Post
Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well as we approach the holiday season. I haven't posted for a while because I've been doing well. I'm able to work and do a lot more than I could before. My wrists are still very weak and I have to wear either braces or wrist widgets but I think I'm making very slow progress, which is better than no progress at all.

I just had a new problem crop up a few days ago. I was at work and noticed that my right wrist was tender at the incision site and that I had a noticeable lump there. I feared that my bone was still not healed and became separated so I went to the ER for an x-ray. It showed that the bone was fine but I'm concerned that I may be having plate irritation. I recalled seeing posts about it and went back and read them. It seems that most others that had it were more recently post-op. I had my right wrist osteotomy 9 months ago. Over the last few days, the lump has gotten smaller, less red, swollen and tender. My concern is that I really don't want to need plate removal surgery since that will interfere with my job.

Does anyone have a similar story they can share? Has anyone had plate removal surgery? If so, what is the recovery time?

Thanks!
ECK

Old 12-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
(female)

shelleydf73 HB User
Re: ulnar shortening osteotomy

I tried Nucynta 100mg after Lortab 10 was failing to control my pain from an ulnar implant, U-Head by SBI. This was the worst experience I have ever had with a pain medication! For starters, it didn't control the pain at all, gave me a slight headache, but the biggie.... hallucinations! I took 1 pill then threw the rest out. Yes, a waste of a LOT of money for no relief and the feeling that I was going crazy. Now im back to the Lortab 10 with a muscle relaxer, Naproxen 500 and a Lidocaine patch. I called my doctor's office 3 times this week and finally got a call back saying that there is no med in between the Lortab and Nucynta. As a nurse, I know for a fact that there are numerous meds in between but the nurse irritated me so badly that I just accepted her quick response and will wait to see the dr on the 27th. Ugh!!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
(female)

shelleydf73 HB User
Darrach's procedure

Anyone know the outcome of the Darrach's procedure? I am having some migration of the ulna implant so it has to come out and I am really nervous about more loss of funtion in the right (my dominant) hand. This will be surgery #6 and I am completely frustrated at this point. I want to know how long the recovery will be, what restrictions I will have once the Darrach's procedure has healed, and such.... The lateral ulna side hernia repair is having to be redone as well since it is starting to reopen. Lord, give me strength!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
(male)

jimbob1902 HB User
Re: ulnar shortening osteotomy

Hi, June 2010 I had a DRUJ prosthesis put in

Wrist is so so, 2/3 on pain. One down fall is 10-15 lb permanant weight restriction.
My surgeon told me they have no clue how long this implant will last, but it is the best option. hope this helps

Last edited by Administrator; 02-24-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Reply Reply