It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

jayson2007 HB User
Compound fracture in left arm, is it normal to loose muscle mass when not working out

Compound fracture in left arm, is it normal to loose muscle mass when not working out?
havent worked out for 6 months, left arm seems to be loosing muscle mass, bit thinner then right arm, but not noticeable, you could say i could be abit self consous, but i notice the difference, is it normal to loose muscle mass when not working out? also am getting abit of numbness where the plates are, arm goes numb sometimes, but not full on numb, just mild sensation of numbess, not loosing strength tho, more muscle mass + abit numb sometimes, could this be cuz of the plates inside my arm? pinching nerve? anyone out there with compoun fractures?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Compound fracture in left arm, is it normal to loose muscle mass when not working

Loss of muscle is normal when you are injured and can't use the arm. It should grow back quickly once you are healed enough to exercise.

Numbness is also common with serious bone injury or surgery. It may be that a nerve was slightly damaged or traumatized. Usually the numbness improves as you heal, although it can take time.

I've had three joint surgeries, and I had numbness after 2 of them. The first one the numbness went away after several months, the most recent was just over a month ago and the numbness is already fading.

Are you still in a cast? Have you gone to physical therapy, or will you go?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

jayson2007 HB User
Re: Compound fracture in left arm, is it normal to loose muscle mass when not working

hey jane thanks for the reply, i broke my arm 2 years ago tho lol this only just started happening when i stopped working out 6 months ago.. but iv been loosing weight, and left arm is loosing more weight, not sure whats causing it, but not sure either if its normal?

Have never done physio, i might tho, what do you recomend i should do?

Last edited by jayson2007; 09-24-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, you lose muscle when you don't exercise.

It may be that, whether you realize it or not, you are using the left arm less than the right for lifting and carrying things, which is why it's losing muscle faster.

Can you start exercising again? That would be the obvious solution for me.

Closed Thread