It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #31
(female)

booboo31 HB Userbooboo31 HB Userbooboo31 HB User
Re: Ulnar shortening

Hi ya. How many stitches did you have. I had 12, the scar goes from just below the bone that sticks out to 3 fingers away from my elbow. I no when I put moisturising cream on my arm the nerve hurts.

I'm lookin forward to getting my cast off not bein able to use my arm is really starting to do my head in.

The following user gives a hug of support to booboo31:
MountainReader (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Sorry to hear about your nerve pain. The doc explained to me that there are some nerves close to where this area is and that he was being very specific on where he made the incision in order to avoid them.

I'm honestly not sure how many stitches there were. He cut the ends of the thread that were sticking out at my 2 week mark. All the rest of the stitches were under the skin with disolvable thread. I had tight steri-strips across the incision until yesterday. All I can see now is the thin line of the incision.

My incision only goes half-way from the boney wrist spot to my elbow. It sounds like your incision is probably longer than mine.

I totally understand having the cast drive you crazy. I didn't make it and had it switched out just past the 4 week mark. When I went in, my doc told me I "failed" the casting. I bet you are on the count-down until it comes off. I know I did.

Just a word of warning, you will still be using your other hand for many things after getting the cast off. I'm finding tons of things I can't do.

Also, some heads-up for when you get the cast off. Take some anti-inflammatories. I babied my hand yesterday and was still sore at the end of the day. This morning I woke up in intense pain. I should have been taking my anti-inflamatory and muscle relaxer before it got bad. I wore my splint again today for driving and typing at work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #33
(female)

I will get some anti inflammatory tablets for when then cast comes off. I accidently got abit of the top of my cast wet earlier wen I was washing my hands and the skin underneath it was like gettin rid of dried skin but wet it was horrible.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #34
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Do you have a vacuum with a hose attachment? If so, you can put it against the fiberglass cast. It pulls air from the ends of the cast through the cast creating a bit of airflow. It will help dry the cast. I bought a cast cooler that I used to hook the vacuum hose against and hold it in place. The plain hose works well enough though. I think it helped keep my rash from being too bad. It also helped keep me from itching and cooled things down when I got hot.

I understand about the dead skin. Mine was yucky. The yucky skin was better in a few days with use of gently washing and a good gentle lotion. The "new" skin is nice and smooth. Unfortunately for me, it looks like it also triggered my eczema which I've had under control for years.

For the cleaning, I used gentle baby wipes alot. It helped me get up into that area you are talking about.

Are you still in your sling?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #35
(female)

I've been using Vaseline moisturising cream with cotton pads as my fingers are really dry. And using to get rid of the pink stuff that was on it after the op. Haven't used sling since the other I have found out that my arm hurts if I put it above my head like wen I had a bath earlier I had a soak and put my arm above my head it hurt so had to put it down again.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #36
Facilitator
(female)

I hurt a lot for a while putting my arm above my head too. I had some horrible stabs of pain when I accidently put my arm over my head while sleeping. What a way to wake up!!!!! That is getting better.

I used a cast shield when showering. It stayed air tight so I didn't have to put my arm up when bathing.

I had orange stuff on my arm from surgery up until I had my steri-strips removed on Thursday. I was happy to finally be able to wash it off.

Vaseline is always a good thing. In the past, I've used it and put cotton gloves over it when sleeping to help with the eczema.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #37
(female)

Yeah my arm was swollen this morning for some strange reason and I felt dizzy when I woke up aswell and that's never happened before.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #38
Facilitator
(female)

I started therapy today. The OT seems to think I should be back to a normal range of motion within about 4 weeks. Good news if I can get there. I was anticipating it would take much longer based on the discussions I had with my doctor prior to surgery.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #39
(female)

That's fab news. I read some where that it takes 12 - 16 weeks to get back to normal so that is fab news.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #40
Facilitator
(female)

Hi booboo,

Just checking to see how you are doing. By my calculations, you are just over a week out from getting your cast off. My cast was driving me crazy at around the 4 week mark. (That was when my doc put me into a splint/cast.)

I had my 3rd OT session today. I was there for almost 1 1/2 hours and only did 2 exercises. They do alot of heat, ultrasound with hydrocortizone, massages/ scar therapy and icing. I've gained a lot of the up and down ROM, but the palms up is still a long way out. The side-to-side stuff is still painful on my ulnar side too. He doesn't want me overdoing things yet so he still won't prescribe me any exercises for home though. He said the day-to-day gentle use is plenty for now.

This last week, I started having more pain on the thumb side of my wrist. The OT said it looks like first dorsal compartment tendonitis. (dequervains tendonitis) He said the tendons on that side are trying to compensate for the other side's weaknesses. He thinks the ulnar sided therapy should help, but if it doesn't in the next couple weeks, he will start treating it also.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #41
(female)

Hi ya. Yeah your right 1 more week to go and I can't wait. I'm getting pain in my wrist every now and then so I take pain killers for it. Looks like the scar is healing well.

Was back at drs on Monday just gone as I've torn the muscles on the top of my right foot. So I'm strapped up for that.

Glad your physio is goin well. I'm looking forward to being able to have a shower after next week. Fed up with having baths as the water doesn't stay warm very long.

Keep up the good work.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #42
Facilitator
(female)

Sorry to hear about your foot. That is rough.

I couldn't stand not showering that long. I understand the bath thing. I started showering about 1 1/2 weeks after surgery. I found this awesome cast shield for showering. It works a lot like a condom as it goes on. It is a thick latex that I rolled over the cast and up my arm. The ring of latex at the top kept it snug against my bicep. Not a drop of water on my cast and I was able to use the hand a bit through the latex to help as I bathed. Wish I'd realized you were going through that sooner. I would have shared that info sooner.

Stay in touch and good luck.

MountainReader

Old 04-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #43
(female)

I got a cast cover thing for the shower/bath it's big with draw string at both ends. It's pretty cool but yours sounds way better then mine.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #44
(female)

Hi ya. Cast is off. Didn't get a splint but have got one at home. Got to go back in 6 weeks to see how I'm getting on.

Every time I use my arm tho I feel sick. But so glad it's off.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #45
Facilitator
(female)

I lost a post somewhere here.

Congratulations on getting your cast off.

Your arm and hand will hurt as you use it now. I've taken anti-inflammatories a couple times a day since cast-off day. I also ice at least once a day still. I iced pretty frequently when the cast came off.

Keep us posted on your healing progress.

MountainReader

Closed Thread