It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #106
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Ulnar shortening

booboo,

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. I hope all goes well.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #107
(female)

booboo31 HB Userbooboo31 HB Userbooboo31 HB User

Hi ya. Well I saw my consultant and told him what was goin on to my hand and wrist. And he had a look and said it cud be the metal that's causing the pain and numbness.

He said he cud send me or nerve testing but he doesn't want the op to be delayed so were goin ahead with the op as planned for next month and if my hand and wrist are still playing up then hell send me for them.

He's told me basically to grin and bare it and wear my bandage or wrist brace for comfort til next month.

So yeah just got to wait for the op now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #108
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

A whole month is such a long time to wait. It is so much easier to just get it over with. I hope the surgery goes well for you though. Let me know when you have a date set.

I go in Monday to see my new Orthopedic surgeon. I've develope a knot at the base of my scar. I don't know if it is scar tissue or something else. I want it checked before I go in for the other surgery on my wrist. My surgery is just 18 days away. I'm looking forward to getting the elusive tear fixed, but NOT to another 6 weeks in a cast. The first 6 weeks were hard enough. By the end I was getting a bit claustrophobic.

Do bandages or splints help you at all right now or are they just for a bit of protection?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #109
(female)

My operation date is the 5th December.

The wrist brace I've got has got a metal bar in it which can be removed and it stops you from bending your wrist, the other one ive got is called a Tubegrip. Is basically is elasticated all over and allows the wrist to move so it gives support.

Both of them do offer support as well as protection.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #110
Facilitator
(female)

Sounds like we will be healing at the same time again.

Will you be in a cast again?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #111
(female)

I forgot to ask him yesterday but I assume I wud be as the bone will have holes in. Will find out when i wake up.

Yep does look like well be goin through it at the same time again. Just hope were both better this time round then the 1st time.

I'm not staying in over night this time ill be goin home in the afternoon. I just hope he don't break the bond while takin the metal work out.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #112
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Booboo,

I went to see my surgeon again today. I've developed a squishy bump at the end of my osteotomy scar, towards the elbow, that got bigger over the last few weeks. I thought it was probably scar tissue or some kind of adhesions that had formed, but I wanted to check it out before my surgery in a couple weeks. Turns out it is a cyst that has developed because the plate on that end has loosened some and caused irritation. When I have my arthroscopic surgery on my TFCC area, he is also going to remove my plate and the cyst.

In talking to him about the healing afterwards, he said that if it was only plate removal I wouldn't be casted at all, just a splint. If he finds the tear, which he suspects I have, and fixes it then I will need the cast.

Sounds like we really will be healing up together again since we will both be having plate removal.

On the up side, he said the plate has done its job and the bone has healed well which is good. He also "reassured" me that I very well could have needed the ulnar osteotomy that the other surgeon did. Really makes me wonder if I really needed it now though. It really does depend on the education of the individual surgeons doesn't it?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #113
(female)

Yeah it does. I'm staying at my parents for a week after my op. I still don't know wether ill be in a cast or a splint ill find out before my op. We definately will be recoverying together again. Goin to feel like déjà vue lol.

Glad your gettin sorted at last after what the last drs have said.

When's your operation?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #114
(female)

I found out today that I'm not having a cast just a dressing and maybe a bandage.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #115
Facilitator
(female)

Good news on not needing a cast.

My surgery is on Tuesday, November 20th. It is 2 days before Thanksgiving (a national holiday here). I'm actually scheduled to travel the day after surgery and I'll stay with family for a week or so. The doc is making me take 2 weeks off of work though. The rest of my recovery time will depend on what he ends up doing when he gets a look at my ligaments.

You are right about the deja vou....

Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #116
(female)

Lol. Well definately have to talk about it like we did last time

Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #117
(female)

Hospital letters arrived turned up this morning. 3 weeks to go and hopefully the pain will be over.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #118
Facilitator
(female)

Good to hear. You are finally on the final countdown! Isn't it crazy that we look forward to surgery? I really hope that this surgery is your answer.

I ended up having to go in for some pre-op testing as a requirement for the different surgical center I'm going to. My EKG came back with a problem and now I have to see a Cardiologist first. The person from the surgical center told me that they get false readings all the time and that it is often the maching. My Cardiologist appointment isn't until Monday and my surgery is on Tuesday. I really hope they can process things quickly enough that I can still have the surgery.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #119
(female)

Yeah let's hope so. Will be thinking about you on tuesday. Hope your surgery does go ahead. Wud be a bummer if there was a set back.

I am lookin forward to my surgery, im not staying in this time ill be out by lunchtime. Ill just be glad to get the metal work out and try and get back to normal. I've had enough of it now. I'm just hopin i don't have a nerve block like i did last time. It hurt when the bloke was doin it and my fingers were numb til the following day.

I might ask the bloke whose doin it to do it when I'm under that way I can't feel it. The side of my arm near my wrist still goes numb sometimes so I hope that stops. I no it's the nerve cos it feels weird but it does my head in.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #120
(female)

Good luck for tomoro will be thinkin about you. Hope they get it sorted.

Have a good Thanks giving.

Closed Thread