It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

StaceyW HB User
Osteotomy for Positive Ulnar Variance

I'm having an osteotomy for positive ulnar variance in a couple of weeks, and would like to know what the recovery is like. Has anyone out there been through this, and if so, how long was it before you went back to work, were able to drive, etc. I work in an office setting, but my commute is close to an hour each way. Right now my concern is more about getting to work rather than handling things once I am there. I'll have family here helping me around the house for the first week following surgery, but will that be sufficient? Thanks for any and all advice/insight you can give!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Osteotomy for Positive Ulnar Variance

I had mine in February. It was on my dominant hand. I had family help for the first week and went back to work after 10 days. I drove with my cast on. I just had to figure out a way to start the ignition and shift into gear when I got in the car.

I had to figure out positioning of my arm for the keyboard and mouse which was a bit ackward, but I figured things out.

My bone healed well. I'm having a bit of trouble getting that last bit of ROM back. I still can't fully pronate or supinate. My doctor expected it before now.

I'm still having some pain, but not from the surgical area. My pain is related to my original TFCC injury which doesn't appeared to have healed yet, despite the osteotomy.

My story is up on the bone board if you are interested.

I wish you well for your surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
younggramma (08-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
(female)

StaceyW HB User

Thanks! I'm expecting a long recovery time before I can get full ROM back, but I guess as long as I'm willing to put in the work it will return at some point.
It makes me feel alot better regarding the day to day activities. After reading so many different blogs it was hard to tell what the average is for this.
Good luck to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to StaceyW:
younggramma (08-02-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I'm still not sure what "average" is myself, even after the surgery.

For me, the biggest challenge was figuring out ways to do things with the cast. In some cases, I was able to adapt. For other things, I found people to help, changed what I was doing or just didn't do something until I got the cast off. It all depended on what it was.

If you are only having the ulnar osteotomy, I think it is basically the same as anyone else healing up from a plated broken bone.

I got tired of explaining to people what happened though. They just don't understand why I chose to let a doctor do that to me. I figured it was my business.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'll try to share what I've learned from my experiences.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
(female)

younggramma HB User

I am opting to NOT have the surgery to shorten my ulna, are you aware of any recommended exercises that may help me?

Reply Reply