It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

TxPoppy HB User
Weird "Hot Spot" on arm

I could use some detective work; would like to know if someone else has ever experienced For quite some time now I have experienced a place on the outside of my right arm, from silver dollar to a diameter of approx 4-5 inches which gets hot from the inside out, like one place has a fever. It comes without warning, establishes different sizes, stays hot for anywhere from an hour to more typically several hours then for up to a couple of days. I haven't been able to associate it with any medications. I know it's coming only by the 'fever' that starts there. There is no pain, itching, redness or other symptom that is visible or can be determined when this occurs. It started when my thyroid started to produce less. (I went 2+ years with low thyroid and couldn't get it diagnosed but am seeing an endrocrinologist regularly now)

This symptom of that one area of muscle, not bone, only on the outside of right upper arm doesn't seem to affect my ability to do things. But it is very annoying since it feels at least two (2) degrees hotter than the surrounding area. So, just like anyone who has a fever where you're flushed, your eyes are hot and so on, it is quite uncomfortable, distracting and worrisome. I feel like I need to know what the cause is, like my body is trying to tell me something. It's just so odd that it's only that spot.

I guess it could be a nerve ending there since it started happening, not immediately, after my spine in my neck was damaged after a servere whiplash incident. Or, it could be metabolic since I have problems with managing my whole body temp, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. Or, it may be tied to my hormones, since it started after I began to have probs with that. Keep in mind, my docs tried to say I was menopausal way before I was because I wasn't getting enough thyroid. (yes, a little resentment there) I don't think it's an outreach of my fibromyalgia even though I have typical trigger points at the elbow and just at the lower end of my deltoid (larger top-of-the-arm) muscle. The heat never goes as far as my elbow or that upper muscle.

I am interested in a lead here. I am concerned that it is a symptom of something more important which requires attention.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Weird "Hot Spot" on arm

Sounds like we could be twin sisters!!

I have the same problem from time to time and have had this for many years. The spots can get very "hot" feeling and sensitive to touch.

Doctors have no clue what it is. I finally found on the internet information regarding "nerve hyper-sensitivity" and have decided this is most likely the cause. You are getting close with your detective work, nerve endings are root of the problem.

I too am hypothyroid, past menopause, and have Fibromyalgia. As you have guessed by now "Fibromyalgia" is the dumping grounds for all misery doctors have no clue what it is or what to do for it. It is a label they give patients and give antidepressants to pacify them . People I know that take antidepressants for Fibromyalgia still hurt. I chose to stay off of drugs, no need to take pills and still hurt. A positive attitude and acceptance of a misery makes it less miserable.

Don't be surprised if you get more spots first one place and then another. I have had these spots many years and still have no answer as to the real cause or cure.

Closed Thread