It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2002, 11:03 AM   #1

LisaL HB User
Question Anyone here suffer from costochronditis?

I probably have the spelling wrong, but it is like a pulled muscle in the chest right above the breast and almost directly across from the armpit. I think another term for it is Tietze disease...
LisaL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2002, 09:42 AM   #2

claujuh HB User
YES!!!! and you are the first person i have ever found who has it too. it is a symptom of my inflammatory disease, spondyloarthropathy, which i was just diagnosed with last fall. before the diagnosis i went to the emergency room twice thinking i was having a heart attack. and yes, it is an inflammation of the cartilage around the rib cage, costochondritis. personally, i think it is horrid! what has your experience with it been like? it hits me at least three or four times a year, for no apparent reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2002, 10:16 AM   #3

LisaL HB User
I tend to get the heavy chest feeling very often, especially lately. I can just be asleep and wake up feeling as though I have just lifted something heavy and pulled the muscles all over again. Just when I think that it is gone, for some strange reason, it comes back again. When I breathe, I feel as though my lungs are going to burst or collapse.I went to the Dr. for it because I thought it was pneumonia. Now I wonder if I will know the difference betweeen the costachondritis and anything life threatening. My Dr. gave me bioxx for the pain, but I want it to be GONE! I read where it usually stays with a person for at least a year and I believe I have had it since Feb. I think it was caused by a certain job I was doing at work. How do you suspect you got it?

Thank you for your response. I was beginning to think I was the only one.
LIsaL

Old 05-26-2002, 11:30 AM   #4

claujuh HB User
I get it because of the inflammatory disease I have; it just comes with it, a package deal I guess!

Old 10-11-2002, 05:41 AM   #5

carol2000 HB User
Unhappy

Hi, I've just been diagnosed as having costochondritis and it kills! Please tell me am I the only one that thinks that their heart is just going to give up on them, that their chest is in a vice constantly and then the pain will peak and really really hurt. I was given tramadol by the Amubulance people and it worked wonders, but the doctors won't give it to me because it is a replacement for morphine. Can anyone help me I've had three lots of tablets and so far, none have helped!! I have to be careful what I take as I need to be fully aware as I have two young children.

Old 10-11-2002, 01:13 PM   #6
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi,
Yup I have it too just not as severe as most of you..I have to stretch,my rib cage feels cramped,I have a heavy feeling in my chest..I told my doctor about this and thats what he said..Ive never had any tests(dont know if there are any)and I dont take meds for it..

Old 10-11-2002, 06:32 PM   #7

LibraryLynn HB User
I have had great luck with chiropractic care. I have costocondritis (?)for 20 years; it began after a car accident. There have been times that the spasms have been so bad that they bring me right to my knees. The chiropractor has a little syringe-looking thing that he pops my rib heads with. It doesn't hurt while he's doing it, and afterwards, the pain and spasms subside slowly. Occasionally, before I found this treatment, I couldn't even take a small breath without pain. Now, when it begins, I see the chiro and the pain doesn't last nearly as long and is not nearly as severe.

Library Lynn

Old 10-15-2002, 03:55 PM   #8

carol2000 HB User
Smile

Hi Lynn,

This chiropractic care that you have, is it administered by a professional or by yourself? Sorry if I seem a little dumb but it is the first time that I have heard of it. If it is administered by somebody else, what happens when you get the pain in the middle of the night? How long does it take for the person to get to you and then for the thing to work? I believe I have got mine from a very bad fall when I was four months pregnant, I broke most of my right hand rib cage and apparantly that is what started it off, I had to have an x-ray on Monday, doctors say that you can see it on an x-ray, apparantly your bones are not as normal as the next persons! I won't get the results until next Tuesday/Wednesday. How can I go about getting Chiropractic Care? Thanks.

Old 02-20-2003, 06:50 PM   #9

sheilaboerger HB User
Cool

Does anyone have a child with costochondritis? My 10 year old daughter was just diagnosed. She is in extreme pain. The doctor told me it was probably a virus that has settled into her ribs. We've tried every over the counter drug and are currently on Aleve. Any helpful suggestions out there? This is a very active little girl who has been significantly sidelined by this. Anybody have nausea or vomiting with this?
Thanks,
Sheila

Old 03-05-2003, 11:03 PM   #10

opheliamac HB User
I was recently diagnosed with Costochronditis. I suppose it stems from a car accident on 12/23/02. Mine began with neck stiffness and shoulder muscle swelling. After 7 weeks of physcial therapy (Mckenzie method), I developed the pain in my chest. I have been to the ER twice with chest pains and was diagnosed with GERD. I have had numerous chest x-rays, an MRI, Upper Barium Swallow, and 3/3 an Endoscopy. My Gynecologist diagnosed me with having the Costo. He suggested that I try wrapping my chest tightly (not too tight) with an Ace bandage. It provides some relief but then it flares up again. I have damaged my stomach with the overuse of ketaprofren, ibu, and Arthrotec before this diagnoses. I have also been to the Chiropractor twice and seems to bring relief. I am very concerned about the pain ending. Anyone have any "survival" treatments for stories to bring my spirits up.

Old 03-20-2003, 06:51 AM   #11

greenlillies HB User
Question

hi to all
I am glad I have found this message board, I thought i was the only one with costro, never heard of it before I have never had an accident or damaged my bones it just happened 3 years ago I have all the symtoms you have all been discribing plus nuasea and fainting have tried all medication including steriod injections I would be very grateful for any advice from anyone as some days I can not even move
thankyou

Old 04-13-2003, 03:00 AM   #12

Sihaya HB User
Lightbulb

I was diagnosed with costochondritis in December, although I had the symptoms for almost 3 years. It all started one night with cramps and chest pain, and I ended up at ER. They found a kidney stone and blamed it for the pain! 2 months later, they figured I have pleurosy, i've been treated for that but there was no word of costochondritis. I kind of got used to taking small breaths since then, until last december when i saw a new rheumotologist. She diagnosed me with costo. and put me on Celebrex. I take one everyday and it helps if I take it regularly. My dr. says there's no cure for costo. but with Celebrex I have a quality of life and never any terrible cramps as I used to have. Hot water seems to help only temporarily, so I really recommend everybody to ask for Celebrex from your doctors. All the best...

Old 04-13-2003, 11:17 AM   #13

Oklahoma_Angel HB User
I have Tietz.. I had just posted something about it on one of the boards here . In Feb Dr gave me a cortisone shot for shoulder pain - that came from inflamation of the chest wall tendons - best month I have had in a long long time. Last dr visit he wouldn't do another and the attacks are back.Now its back to Aleve and Advil and it really just doesn't work, heat works so so .

I have it along with panic/anxiety disorder. So between the two I've been in ER 2x last year and 1 of those trips I was kept for 24 hrs ..and they learned it wasn't a heart attack .

Okl angel

Old 04-13-2003, 03:25 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Hi-
Looks like many people experience this so differently, with the exception that it's painful to say the least.
Anti-inflammatory meds are usually the treatment of choice, and certain meds work better than others. Work with your doctor closely on this. There are many different meds to try.
Apart from that, here are other things that seem to help a lot of people, as mentioned in other posts:

* Local heat

* Local infiltration of local anesthetic, steroid, or intercostal nerve block (reserved for refractory cases)

* Biofeedback

* Gentle stretching of the pectoralis muscles 2-3 times a day (a good chiropractor can help as well, and also give you homework to do on your own)

* Avoid repetitive misuse of muscles.

Watch yourself carefully for improper posture at home or work place.

They say the outlook for most patients with costochondritis is EXCELLENT, although after 1 year, you may still have discomfort, and sometimes up to 1/3 of people still have tenderness when they press or "palpate" the area.
It's important to work with your doctor on pain control because overuse of Advil and other over-the-counter meds can be very harmful in the long-run, as you know.
Sometimes, inadequate pain control causes more muscle tension, and therefore you have muscle tension pain on top of the original cartilage pain, and it becomes a vicious circle.

Old 04-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #15

jpurc33143 HB User
Question

has anyone used oral steroids for the treatment of
costochondritis? I'm taking vioxx, however the pain is quite intense. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by jpurc33143 (edited 04-17-2003).]

Closed Thread