It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2003, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Question Starting Methotrexate, any advice please !?!

Hi everyone, I hope all of you are doing well this evening.

My questions is this: have any of you ever been on Methotrexate injections? I have been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome and my Rheumatologist started me on the Plaquenil but I started having some side effects that I didn't feel I could live with and he asked me to stop taking it and suggested this route. He sent me some literature in the mail and asked me to read about it, think about it and get back with him. He said the shots work faster than the Plaquenil and there are side effects but just like any other medication, it may or may not effect me like other people, because we are all so different.

I just want to feel better so badly. One of my biggest fears with this drug is the hair loss. I have already lost alot of my hair and this is about as thin as I can stand it. The doctor said that the Folic Acid supplement helps to counteract the side effects and does a really good job of it. I'm going to try it because I can't stand not being able to go and do what I want to do anymore.

I am 34 years old and my muscles and joints are so sore and achy and swollen, especially in the am that I can hardly move about for two or three hours. This has been going on since the birth of my son almost two years ago and I'm completely over it! I'd love to know if any of you have ever been down this road with the Methotrexate or if you know of anyone who has please let me know.

Take care
Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 04:44 AM   #2

jdeiter HB User
Thumbs up

I have been taking injectable methotrexate after the oral doses lost thier effectiveness. It is a small price to pay for the relief I receive for my psoratic arthritits. There are side effects, but the most bothersome such as dizziness and nausia subsided within 6 weeks. You have to stick it out over the long run to see how good you are going to feel and how much side effects you will have. I still get mout ulcers consistnently, but suppliments such as folci acid and lysine (OTC) help allot!

Just know as with any drug there are risks, know what side effects you need to report and which ones you need to try to ride out. It does get better with time, but you need to invest at least 6 weeks of endurance to reap the real benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypugs

My questions is this: have any of you ever been on Methotrexate injections? I have been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome and my Rheumatologist started me on the Plaquenil but I started having some side effects that I didn't feel I could live with and he asked me to stop taking it and suggested this route. He sent me some literature in the mail and asked me to read about it, think about it and get back with him. He said the shots work faster than the Plaquenil and there are side effects but just like any other medication, it may or may not effect me like other people, because we are all so different.

I just want to feel better so badly. One of my biggest fears with this drug is the hair loss. I have already lost alot of my hair and this is about as thin as I can stand it. The doctor said that the Folic Acid supplement helps to counteract the side effects and does a really good job of it. I'm going to try it because I can't stand not being able to go and do what I want to do anymore.

I am 34 years old and my muscles and joints are so sore and achy and swollen, especially in the am that I can hardly move about for two or three hours. This has been going on since the birth of my son almost two years ago and I'm completely over it! I'd love to know if any of you have ever been down this road with the Methotrexate or if you know of anyone who has please let me know.

Take care
Melissa

Old 11-17-2003, 03:48 AM   #3

AussieChick HB User
Hi there i've been on mtx for 7 weeks and feeling ok...maybe even a little better although its hard to tell cause i'm still on low dose prednisolone as well and vioxx till the miracle kicks in and i forget i have RA. I felt really sick after the first 3 doses but am pretty used to it now. Its scary taking it and i wonder if my fear causes my body to instantly revolt. Apparently the hair loss is very rare as even though its a chemo drug its given in much much lower doses than for cancer. I'm 35, diagnosed less than a year ago, and prepared to give anything a go if it helps. Its such a big experimental process. Also reacted badly to plaquenil and sulphasalazine so few choices left here in Aust and i'm hopeful this is it. All the best!!

Old 11-26-2003, 11:26 AM   #4

turttle HB User
Talking Re: Starting Methotrexate, any advice please !?!

Hello, I was put on methotrexate when i was adout ten years old. I personally did not like the drug because I would take it and do nothing but sleep till it was time to take another shot. For me the the drug that I tried and really liked was embrol. It is also a shot and does not have that many side effects, you should look into it. But if you have any information on hip replacements please let me know.

Old 11-28-2003, 03:23 PM   #5

lizmontes HB User
Re: Starting Methotrexate, any advice please !?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypugs

Take care
Melissa
If you read the arthritis section, quite a few have tried this road. There is a new drug out called HUMIRA with hardly any side effects. check it out with your doctor. It is a self injecting drug administed once every 2 weeks. You can also look it up on the website.

I hope you find the best treatment for your arthritis.
LIZMONTES

Closed Thread