It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2003, 12:33 PM   #1

lacyj HB User
Question Shoulder Joint Pain

I had an MRI on my shoulder after about 6 months of complaining of shoulder pain. The results showed an area of fluid probably being arthritis. I was told to take an antiflamitory pill - we have tried about 6 different ones and nothing seems to stop the pain completely. I also had a cortisone shot which lasted about 2 months with no pain - I also have the exercises to help loosen the joint. This pain wakes me up almost every night at about 4:00 a.m. with a sharp aching pain which eventually subsides. Does anyone have any other remedies that I can try - I'm going crazy..... Someone told me about white raisins soaked in gin - but I can't see any changes in the pain -

right now I'm taking Glusamite Sulfate (OTC) twice a day

anything appreciated thanks

Old 11-20-2003, 01:09 PM   #2

pooh52501 HB User
Re: Shoulder Joint Pain

Lacy

I like to use heat myself on my shoulder. You an make yourself a rice sock - and then you will be able to stick it into the nuke for a couple of minutes and that will then mold to your shoulder. At night I have an electric blanket that I use - with the heat up on high.

Have they taken x-rays lately?? they should be able to see sclerosis in the joint if the arthritis in increasing. That is another option or even another MRI - although most doctors don't like to do mri's to often.

I am actually no longer taking the anti-inflamitories - and am actually on ultram at this point. It does not take away all the pain - not sure anything does. Another thing with shoulder pain - is it can be referred pain from the spine c-4-c-7 I think. If those are pinched or anything like that - shoulders will have pain in them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #3

lacyj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh52501
Lacy

I like to use heat myself on my shoulder. You an make yourself a rice sock - and then you will be able to stick it into the nuke for a couple of minutes and that will then mold to your shoulder. At night I have an electric blanket that I use - with the heat up on high.

Have they taken x-rays lately?? they should be able to see sclerosis in the joint if the arthritis in increasing. That is another option or even another MRI - although most doctors don't like to do mri's to often.

I am actually no longer taking the anti-inflamitories - and am actually on ultram at this point. It does not take away all the pain - not sure anything does. Another thing with shoulder pain - is it can be referred pain from the spine c-4-c-7 I think. If those are pinched or anything like that - shoulders will have pain in them.

Thanks for the rice suggestion - I will give it a try - one doctor told me to ice it only.
I go back and forth between anti-inflamitories - I'm just scared that it might be something else in the bones - today my whole left arm is numbed - I haven't had x-rays for a year and I did have a disc in my spine that was compressed - but I thought that it was better because the pain moved to my shoulder....

Old 11-30-2003, 04:48 AM   #4

pooh52501 HB User

Lacy

if you had a disk that was compressed - you might want to get that checked out. You can get pain in your shoulder from your spine and if it is a nerve that pinched then you would also get the numbness. You might want to request that they do mri and/or xrays of the spine to make sure they rule out any problem with the spine - special the C4,c5,c6 I think are the ones that normally affect the shoulder.

heat works best - ice will help cause the blood flow to lessen to the area for a while - and that will cause a feeling of less pain - but once the shoulder warms back up to temp - it's back - with heat it seems to work it's way deeper into the musles. Just my experience on this.

Barb

Closed Thread