HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Arthritis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/)
-   -   synovitis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/126299-synovitis.html)

GEDEN13 11-14-2003 03:02 PM

synovitis

can someone here help me with some info on synoviyis? i had an open synovectomy in march.pain and swelling continue.ask if you need more details.....thanks....gary

Polly M 11-22-2004 02:17 PM

Re: synovitis

Hi Gary,

Having been treated for sero neg rheumatoid arthritis for the past 3 years and taking high doses of - among other drugs - methotrexate. 2 years ago, I developed severe swelling in my left knee. I had a arthroscopy at the beginning of this month and have been diagnosed with Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS). I have been told by my orthopediac that PVNS is very rare and I am also having real difficulty finding much information about it. I am sorry to hear that, despite having the synovectomy, you are still in pain.

Polly

fwa1981 04-02-2005 04:29 PM

[QUOTE=GEDEN13]can someone here help me with some info on synoviyis? i had an open synovectomy in march.pain and swelling continue.ask if you need more details.....thanks....gary[/QUOTE]

Geden13,

I also suffer from synovitis. But unfortunately have not been able to find much information on it. I just happened to come across your message and wondered that if you could depart some valuable information to me.

Thanks

GEDEN13 04-02-2005 10:38 PM

twa...i have found no more info on synovitis..i was just to another orthopedist,this past week.i had had another mri done on my right leg/knee.

bone doc seem
s to think it is(pain) something called" post sympathetic dystrophy"..has to do with not healing after surgery,and nerve's in the leg/knee.

i have started garthering info on this.(rsd) i had never heard of this.but seem's to fit my symtom's..if you would like the info,my email is [ [b] please read the posting rules - no emails[/b] ] this could be your problem..

please pardon my misspelling and grammar..this has been a very painful , sleepless day's..

mri does show this"rsd". sorta shaded,dark spot on the bone's..i am now getting an appiontment for a bone scan.hopefully this will have some answer's....

hope and pray ,for you to be pain free....gary

hop 04-06-2005 12:17 PM

I was diagnosed with synovitis too, during an arthroscopy I had in September 2004. I could not heal from it either. All synovitis means is inflammation of the joint lining. I think the goal now is to find out what caused the synovitis. (It is a first step diagnosis when they can't tell you what else it is.)

As far as the PVNS, your orthopedist could have tested the lining of the synovium if he took a biopsy during surgery. Mine did and I tested negative for PVNS. I don't know much more about PVNS except it can recur--not sure if it is an autoimmune disease or not.

If you have not been to a rheumatologist, I would certainly recommend it. They can do a lot of tests to try to find the cause of the synovitis. Keep in mind it can take months or years for blood work to show up any meaningful information, however. It is a slow and inexact science that can be frustrating, esp. to Type A's like myself. The real urgency is to get the swelling under control so you don't do damage to your knee joint.

I imagine there are orthopedists who specialize in arthritis, although probably OA vs autoimmune? That would be another resource to talk to.

Apparently more than 1cc of fluid on the knee can cause damage, so it's important to get that under control. I have had my knees drained also and in addition, cortisone shots, but you have to be careful not to do either too many times to not cause further damage.

Good luck!