HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Arthritis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/)
-   -   arthritis and general inflammation? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/126631-arthritis-general-inflammation.html)

area51 11-15-2003 10:38 PM

arthritis and general inflammation?

I've had bad knees for about 4 years. I've been diagnosed with sprains and patello-femoral syndrome and possible bursitis but aside from physical therapy I've had no treatment. Physical therapy was a bust. Painful and most of the exercises I was taught made things worse.

About 3 years ago after a "sprain" the doc did some x-rays. I got pushy at my last physical and at least got another set of x-rays done on that knee to see if there have been any changes. Yup. Narrowing of distance between the bones.

I've had a lot of other health issues to follow up on since that physical a month ago and haven't had a chance to go back to the doc. Before seeing the x-rays she guessed I probably have osteo arthritis.

I'm not so sure. My whole body is going to hell in a handbasket.

I have migraines. I have peripheral neuropathy. I have the knee problems. I may have fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. And about a week before my period my whole body flares up including rectal bleeding. But according to a sigmoidoscopy my colon and rectum are in fine shape.

I guess I'm wondering if there are other types of arthritis that could account for so many symptoms. I'm also wondering what other conditions could cause such a wide variety of symptoms.

Sorry I got a little graphic. I hope somebody has some ideas. After a couple more goose chases from the physical I want to sit down with my doc and talk about the big picture and make sure it's only osteo arthritis I'm dealing with.

I'm 45. I feel like 95. This just isn't right.

CLC 11-18-2003 09:00 PM

Hello Area. I am so sorry to hear of your problems. I am 36 and have had strange symptoms for the last 3 years including PN. So far PN is all they have tentatively dg me with. I am now in the process of going through some more goose chases. It is so frustrating especially when a doctor acts all arrogant like it must be in your head. I am seeing a ruemy at the present who isn't all that sure I should be seeing him. Lovely. He has run a bunch of tests and one came back positive for some type of arthritis. He doesn't think I have the symptoms of that but is doing more tests to rule it out or in. He said he didn't want to do the first tests for that reason, because if something came up he would have to pursue it. He said 5 to 7 percent of the population will carry a positve test(the first one) for it and not have it. So it is not sure that I have it or not. I'm not too sure I care for this doc but I haven't met a rhuemy yet that has a "good bed side manner". Anyway, I feel for you even if I don't have answers for you because I DO UNDERSTAND how frustrating and scary it can be. I wish you luck and will say a prayer for you. CLC

area51 11-24-2003 12:36 PM

Re: arthritis and general inflammation?

Thanks CLC. I think a rheumy is probably in my near future. I have just about got all the other goose chases taken care of now so I'm ready to go back to my PCP and talk some more about this arthritis thing. And try to get her to see the whole picture instead of just the knees. If nothing else I want to get a referral of some sort out of her.

I have a friend who is trying to talk me into seeing her Tibetan Medicine doctor. I figure I'll give western medicine one more old college try. Then maybe I will see what the alternative medicine world can offer.

I can't believe I wrote that. But I'm sick up to here with being shuffled around on these stupid goose chases.