It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 05:38 PM   #1

Tallon HB User
Arthritis in my spine, now what???

I injured my back in Feb, 2000, (they now believe that this is when I blew my disc). I went through all kinds of the misdiagnosing doctors, untill one finally sent me for an mri, thats where they found a center disc herniation at L5-S1. This was in july of 2001. I went through all of the conservative treatments, painkillers, therapy, injections and other hoops that they make you jump through, before finally having the surgery in febuary of 2002. I did get relief for a couple of months from the pain, but was constantly sick and in pain battling painkiller addiction. Once I finally kicked, I started to notice the pain in my back was getting stronger, and my skin on my outer right thigh would tingle. How weird.
So, ok now my skin on the outside of both legs goes totally numb when I stand or walk for a period of time and the pain in my back is as bad as it used to be and I have already been put back on the narcotic painkillers, and stopped taking them because I felt I was losing control.
I have had another mri and a million x-rays, one doc diagnosed me with scar tissue pulling on a nerve root. Now the spine clinic that he referred me to, said I have substantial arthritis in the facet joints at the injury location.
I am in worse shape now than i was before surgery and my question is.....Did walking around with a bad herniated disc for 2 years cause this arthritis??? Does anyone have the same problem or any input?

Thanks
Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 08:53 PM   #2
(female)

tertree HB User
Re: Arthritis in my spine, now what???

Your more likely to get it if you have had an injury. however if it runs in your family that also has a big factor in it.
I was diagnosed when i was 16 Im 40 now.
I have it really bad in my back. Its in my ankles,knees,neck,jaw, and just moving into my wrists. painful yes! I try not to take pills for it unless it gets too unbearable.
If you stay active it doesnt seem to progress as fast also.
If you have had a hysterectomy make sure you stay on your hormones.! I went off mine for about a year and it really progressed in that time!
Good luck. The celebrex works quite well on pain!

Old 12-04-2003, 09:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: Arthritis in my spine, now what???

I have facet joint arthritis in the neck and spine, was diagnosed at 42 now 55 and what my Dr said is an injury usually sets the ball rolling most of the time especiall before the age of 50, I've had several car accidents with neck and back injuries etc. I have moderate lumbar and cervical stenosis and get the skin numbing in the legs and arms. I also have carpal tunnel and arthritis in both hands just diagnosed this year. I swear it is a dominoe effect. I excersise at least 4 times a week on the treadmil and eliptical for my osteoporosis as well, but I think it keeps me more limber and I won't take any mobic unless it is a very bad day.

Closed Thread