It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 07:18 AM   #1
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Question New here and need your help!!

Hi all!! I'm new here, but not to pain!! I was in an accident in '98 which injured my spine!! I have bulging discs in the cervical and lumbar areas! I've had many CTs and MRIs that all say something worse each time!! The second to last says that there's osteophytes beginning to form!! Does this mean osteoarthritis is setting in?? Also was this caused by the injuries to my spine?? I'm asking 'cause none of my drs want to answer my questions and they're all treating this like it's nothing!! I'm only 35yrs old (28 when this all happened), which to me is too young for all these permanent problems!
ps..these drs tell me surgery's not an option for me either, and that I just have to take meds and learn to live with it!! This all doesn't sit well with me 'cause I was always a very active mother of 3 and now this!! Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User
Re: New here and need your help!!

I read your post.
What meds are you taking and why?
What injuries happened to your spine in '98 is unclear per the post so maybe you forgot to type that.

Osteophytes: Thats probably why you have pain. Looks to me like they do mean arthritis is on it's way, if it hasn't already arrived. I just looked up the defiantion today for myself since I picked up my spine reports today. My X-ray report lists that I have these too, among other things but I have not yet asked my Dr about them. You can read about them here.
[url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=B153EB20-02EF-4D54-A1B1FC6DB1C67499[/url]

I am under the impression that it's fairly normal for middle age people to have a disc bulge or two show up. Nothing to do about it.

hope you feel better soon

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-08-2003 at 03:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Snowmelts, thank you for your reply! I can't seem to get that link to work, but it's probably my comp 'cause I've been having trouble with it lately! I'm going to have to reboot and then try the link again, but thank you!!
As for my injuries, I'd said that I had bulging discs both in the cervical and lumbar areas! I also have been diagnosed with cervicogenic headaches, cervical & lumbar facet joint dysfunction, DDD, DJD, whiplash grade 2 disorder, bulging discs at C5/6, L4/5 and L5S1, and sciatica!!
Right after the accident the x-rays and CTs stated bone spurs and bulging discs, then the rest came after a few MRIs! That's why it says osteophytes were beginning to form!
I'd even had one dr tell me that I had bursitis in the hips and capsilitus in the shoulders/neck!! He also told me that I'd been undertreated up until that appt with him! I can barely turn my head to the left, and on bad neck pain days I can't turn it at all!! But after he tried his meds and injections to no avail, he gave up on me and sent me on my way! I've had many drs do this to me over these 7yrs! Noone else has brought up the bursitis or capsilitus, but they all agree that I have sciatica, that all these things were caused by the accident (being that I was only 28 when this happened), yet they won't anything other then meds to help me! My pm dr even told me that surgery would only make me worse, therefore it's not an option for me! Surgeons have also told me that it wasn't an option a few yrs ago!
I've asked my family dr about the osteophytes, if it meant arthritis and what can I do to slow it down, and he had no answers for me! I'm also very concerned about permanent nerve damage, but noone wants to do anything about that either or to answer my question as to whether it would already be permanent considering that I've had sciatica for 7yrs!!
I haven't even been told that the osteophytes would cause pain!! I'm so frustrated and don't know where to turn anymore!! I'm not satisfied with just popping meds for the rest of my life, there has to be something else!!
As for my meds, up until about a month ago I was on 120mg oxycontin with 6-8 percocet for breakthrough/day, but now the oxy's been changed to 96mg hydromorph contin, and I'm still taking 4-6 percocets/day! They both seem to help just as well as the other...I'm still taking something every 4hrs pretty well!!
Anyway, sorry this sort of turned into a vent!! Sometimes I just can't help it!! You figure, 7yrs of no straight answers from drs, taking meds all the time when you never took as much as an asprin before the accident, and living the 24/7 pain! Who wouldn't get frustrated LOL!
Well I've made this long enough LOL! Thanks again for replying! Bye for now, take care!!

Old 12-08-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

WOW {{{hugs}}} to me that sounds like alot of pain over the years.
Anyway osteophytes is simply a more technical name for bone spurs.
The link did work for me and it expalins nicely.
I do hope you pain gets lessened somehow.

Closed Thread