It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 05:02 PM   #1

eddy g HB User
osteoarthritis

I have been dignosed with arthritis on my knee. the dr. said that someday i may need a knee replacement. He said as long as you can get by to wait until the knee gets worst. I am 60 yrs old and very active. I ski, play hockey, and golf. When I play 18 holes and walk my right knee gets so stiff that I have a hard time tieing my shoe. After i sit a while it frees up . hockey doesnt seem to bother me at all, and sking is ok as long as the snow is easy. any tips from the board will be appriecated

Old 12-11-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: osteoarthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy g
I have been dignosed with arthritis on my knee. the dr. said that someday i may need a knee replacement. He said as long as you can get by to wait until the knee gets worst. I am 60 yrs old and very active. I ski, play hockey, and golf. When I play 18 holes and walk my right knee gets so stiff that I have a hard time tieing my shoe. After i sit a while it frees up . hockey doesnt seem to bother me at all, and sking is ok as long as the snow is easy. any tips from the board will be appriecated
But that is osteo for you. Golf probably bothers it more because you do stand around a bit from one hole to the next right?, It is harder on the knee because walking is more forceful on the knee. With skiing or hockey the hips and ankles are doing the most work provided the slopes are easy runs. I have knee osteo and I can use the eliptical machines at the gymn all day but when I use the treadmil my knees can't take it as much. Sitting is worse cuz trying to get up from a standing position puts alot of pressure on the knee. Being active is the best but you need to find out what activities cause the less pain and then stick to these and avoid the ones that cause more pain. that's what my rheumy told me anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
(male)

Bob2 HB User
Re: osteoarthritis

I have ostioarthritis in my knees. Alittle over 2 years ago, I was limping because of the pain. I am interested in herbs, so I looked for a herb I could take that would help me. The one I settled on is Turmeric standardized to 95% curcumin. I have not limped in 2 years. The turmeric worked for my and there are no side affect as with all arthritis drugs. If you have any gall bladder trouble, you should not use it. The dosage is at least 1200 milligrams of curcumin, the active ingredient, per day. Vitaminshoppes is the cheapest place I found to buy it. I have no relationship with them. I buy my own turmeric there. Alternative herbs are devil's claw or feverfew. I haven't tried them but they are recommended by a herbalist I trust.

Closed Thread