It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2003, 10:23 AM   #1
(male)

Bob2 HB User
Turmeric Is a Very Good Anti-inflammatory

I responded to some of the posts here with the suggestion that Turmeric and a couple of other herbs are good anti-inflammatories. I decided that it is better to start a new topic on the subject. Two forms of arthritis that I know for sure respond well to Turmeric is ostioarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I have ostioarthritis in my knees. A little over 2 years ago I was limping from the pain in my left knee. I learned about turmeric from a book titled "Dr. Duke's Essential Herbs", written by Dr. James A. Duke. Dr. Duke wrote the book named "The Green Pharmacy". The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Dr. Duke recommends that you take a standardized turmeric so you can be sure how much curcumin you are getting. I take a turmeric standardized to 95% curcumin. He also recommends that you take at least 1200 milligrams of curcumin per day. I take 5 capsules per day, in divided doses to get the proper amount. The cheapest source I have found is Vitaminshoppes. It costs $33 for 300 capsules there, which works out to a little over $.60 per day. I do not have a relationship with Vitaminshoppes - I just buy herbs from there.

I have been taking the turmeric for over 2 years now and I walk normally.

The two other herbs were recommended by a herbalist from a web site named [removed] They are feverfew and devil's claw. I have not tried either of these since the turmeric does the job for me.

Turmeric should be taken very carefully by any one who has gall bladder or bile duc problems. These people should probably try one of the other 2 herbs.

I hope this helps some people to feel better with a herb that actually has many healthful actions. The normal NSAIDs are so dangerous to so many people and I have found turmeric to be very good for me. I have had absolutely no bad side affects from taking turmeric.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-23-2003 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Only product names are allowed here. Please carefully read and follow the board posting guidelines. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2003, 05:39 PM   #2

WarBonds HB User
Re: Turmeric Is a Very Good Anti-inflammatory

Bob,

Yes, you're right about turmeric. In fact, when the weather gets cold and damp, I go for the turmeric. After 1 or 2 days, I feel great again. It should be taken with meals; I have also osteoarthritis in both big toe joints and avoid NSAID's as much as possible.
Mine is also a standardized product: 95 % turmeric root extract, each capsule is 500 mg.....it is good stuff, and I haven't had any side effects from it.

WarBonds

Old 12-23-2003, 06:22 PM   #3
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User

I have had success with Turmeric and Bromelain for inflammation.......
and I am also a regular vitamin shoppe customer !!!

Old 12-26-2003, 10:06 AM   #4
(male)

Bob2 HB User

Fuchsia_Lay

You are correct. There are many other things besides NSAIDS to use that will help. Why I chose to go the herbal route is the problems my father had over the years with rheumatoid arthritis. From my first memories of him to his death he was taking some type of arthritis prescription medecine. He traveled the route many old sufferers must be entirely too familiar with. He went from one NSAID to another as his body got to used to the one he was taking at the time. He had bleeding ulcers several times in his life. Different joints throughout his body deteriorated more and more over the years of his life. I grew up on a farm and as my brother and sisters and I got old enough to do more of the work, he had to drop back and do as light a work as he could. He never gave up, through all of his suffering, but continued to work at what he could do.

In my opinion, the medical profession has a very sorry record, when it comes to arthritis. None of the medicines that are out are a cure for the disease. There is little or no knowledge about what causes arthritis. Doctors, who specialized in arthritis treatments, work through an entire career and do not cure a single person. The only sure thing is that the medicines used for treating arthritis get more expensive every year.

Last edited by Bob2; 12-26-2003 at 10:06 AM.

Closed Thread