It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Question OA of the spine

Does anyone have info on OA of the spine? Does the pain ever go away...it seems to be constant with me. I am newly dx. with this and don't know much re. arthritis. I always thought it was something that comes and goes. I think I was prabably wrong with that thought. Help, please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 06:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User
Re: OA of the spine

Sorry to hear you have OA.

a fewyears ago when I JUST had a bit of pelvic arthritis (OA) I had days when it didn't hurt but NOW that the rest of my spine is involved..it's a constant..an esculateing constant. I'm takeing it for granted it's the desentagrateing facet joints and spurs shown in the X-ray that are causeing me the pain.

I am allergic to aspirin and all sysalates (sp). Which I am told is very helpful for the pain..but I can't have aspirin. At this time most arthritis meds contain aspirin or sylsalates (sp).. so no pain med has been offered. Instead my Dr ordered 6 weeks physical therapy.
I am in my second week of PT now and my lower back does feel a bit better.. I am moving around better. The therapist says the excercises are to make the muscles stronger and that will help cut pain as well as try to unbend my 10% scolosis or at least slow down the rate of bend..
The more you "impact' you put on the OA joint, the more it hurts. Non-impact excercise is supposed to make it more easily movable and therefore less painful.

The OA in my knees is OK or bad, depending on what I did with the knees that day. I've had it bad in my knees for years now. For me wearing athelethic knee supports helps sometimes. An electric heating pad also helps. Aspercream helps.
Those Thermacare heating pads that you can use overnight are truely great for OA in the spine. I love them but they are expensive if used regularly. I keep a pack of those in the cabinet at all times and only use them "in emergency of too much pain". For me days without OA pain of some sort were a L-O-N-G time ago.

Weather has no real effect on mine. I think maybe chilly rain "approaching" makes them burn a bit more though. Bones gringing againest bone because of desinagrated cartilidge is the same no matter what the weather is.

I DO tke Glucosamine and Cholondrotin (sp) which does help the knee pain a LOT but I sure can say my back hurts whole bunches anyway.
I also take the calcium, D and magnesium like a good little girl.

(SORRY about the bad spelling.. it was along day and my brain is not in gear )

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-30-2003 at 06:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 09:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Re: OA of the spine

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmelts
Sorry to hear you have OA.

a fewyears ago when I JUST had a bit of pelvic arthritis (OA) I had days when it didn't hurt but NOW that the rest of my spine is involved..it's a constant..an esculateing constant. I'm takeing it for granted it's the desentagrateing facet joints and spurs shown in the X-ray that are causeing me the pain.

I am allergic to aspirin and all sysalates (sp). Which I am told is very helpful for the pain..but I can't have aspirin. At this time most arthritis meds contain aspirin or sylsalates (sp).. so no pain med has been offered. Instead my Dr ordered 6 weeks physical therapy.
I am in my second week of PT now and my lower back does feel a bit better.. I am moving around better. The therapist says the excercises are to make the muscles stronger and that will help cut pain as well as try to unbend my 10% scolosis or at least slow down the rate of bend..
The more you "impact' you put on the OA joint, the more it hurts. Non-impact excercise is supposed to make it more easily movable and therefore less painful.

The OA in my knees is OK or bad, depending on what I did with the knees that day. I've had it bad in my knees for years now. For me wearing athelethic knee supports helps sometimes. An electric heating pad also helps. Aspercream helps.
Those Thermacare heating pads that you can use overnight are truely great for OA in the spine. I love them but they are expensive if used regularly. I keep a pack of those in the cabinet at all times and only use them "in emergency of too much pain". For me days without OA pain of some sort were a L-O-N-G time ago.

Weather has no real effect on mine. I think maybe chilly rain "approaching" makes them burn a bit more though. Bones gringing againest bone because of desinagrated cartilidge is the same no matter what the weather is.

I DO tke Glucosamine and Cholondrotin (sp) which does help the knee pain a LOT but I sure can say my back hurts whole bunches anyway.
I also take the calcium, D and magnesium like a good little girl.

(SORRY about the bad spelling.. it was along day and my brain is not in gear )
Thank you so much for all your info. I am learning so much about my condition through this board. I really appreciate it. I am also using P/T and at first it seemed to be getting worse, but I think this week I actually started feeling some releif. I hope you are feeling well today...keep me posted.

Lorie

Closed Thread