It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2003, 08:13 PM   #1

Mandy904 HB User
arthritis in the neck?

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with possible severe arthritis in the neck.. symptoms being dizziness, some neck pain, terrible headches in the back of my head, tense muscles in the back of the neck. My dr sent me for x-rays, anyone else have these symptoms with neck arthritis??? Would greatly appricate some feedback this is driving my anxiety through the roof.

Mandy

Old 12-24-2003, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
Re: arthritis in the neck?

I have slight arthritis in my neck. I haven't had any problems with it for a couple years now but when I did it would be stiff for a month or a two and then finally it would clear up. This would happen about 2x a year. There was nothing I could do to ease up the pain. I just had to let it take its course. I'm just thankful I haven't had to deal with it for awhile. I didn't have any dizziness with it. I know this is isn't much help to you but that's my experience with it.

Last edited by Dawnrise; 12-24-2003 at 03:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
(female)

Mary.T HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy79
Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with possible severe arthritis in the neck.. symptoms being dizziness, some neck pain, terrible headches in the back of my head, tense muscles in the back of the neck. My dr sent me for x-rays, anyone else have these symptoms with neck arthritis??? Would greatly appricate some feedback this is driving my anxiety through the roof.

Mandy
Hello Mandy
I also have arthritis in the neck with problems at C5/C6/C7. I started out with x-rays about 4 years ago, since then have had 2 MRI scans the result for the second I will be getting from my neurosurgeon on Jan 13th. I have some stenosis. I also get bouts of dizziness, and really bad headaches at times, which usually come from the nerve in the left shoulder and side of the neck, into the base of the skull and over my right eye, these are horrible. Other symptoms that have gotten worse in the last two years include pain in left arm, numbness, tingling. I have many types of medication to try, but haven't found that magic pill yet. Here in the UK you wait a really long time to see consultants. I started off with a Rheumatologist who then passed me on to the neurosurgeon, my first appointment with him, I had to wait 19 months for. It certainly doesn't help for anxiety though does it. Maybe your doctor could refer you for an MRI scan, to get a better look at what is going on in there. I wish you well. Hang in there.
Regards, Mary.T

Last edited by Mary.T; 01-07-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I was diagnosed with arthritis in the neck in my 30's, now in my 50's and it flares up more often and more severe than when I was younger. C2 through C7 are all arthritic and the worse part is those nasty back of the head headaches. I wake up with a headach most days it seems. Never found any pillow that felt comfortable to me. It has spread to my left shoulder in the last few months and I also have osteoarthritis in both hands. I've seldom have any dizziness, mostly headaches and neck and muscle pain.

Last edited by NancyH; 01-09-2004 at 07:52 PM.

Old 01-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #5
(female)

Mary.T HB User

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
Hello Nancy
I feel for you. I am approaching 50 this summer, and would like to think that somehow, something can be done to try to ease all these aches and pains. I shall not be leaving the Neurosurgeons office on Tuesday(13th Jan) until I have all my questions answered, I have been making a list!!!!. I know I wont get back to see him for at least a year. I ordered some pillows from QVC some time back, which help me some. They are called Dream Wizard, are shaped very similar to an ordinary pillow, but you open the ends with little buttons, and inside there is an inflateable airbag, and you inflate to whatever is comfortable to you and then put back inside the polyester pillow. It may take a few times blowing it up and letting it down until you find the right setting for you. I would imagine if I got it through QVC -UK that you should be able to get it there. I use Imigran for severe headaches, because I also suffer with migraines, and have done for many years. I think it is called Imitrex in the US. I use the injector pen.
Hope you feel better soon.
Regards, Mary

Old 01-16-2004, 08:21 AM   #6

Ravin01 HB User

Hi All,

I've been reading these posts trying for the life of me to find out whats going on with me. Been to the doctor so many times as I have been feeling dizzy with these contstant aches up my back under the left shoulder blade and into my the back of my neck (seems always a little swollen). Any way to cut a long story short, i've had ecg's, x-rays and a lot of blood work - I finally got referred to a Reumatologist. I'm going in for a bone scan on monday (I think they inject you with a mild radiactive substance first so it shows up on the scan better) 19th to see if this brings up any clues - they're all baffled. Being only 35, and been stuck with this for over 8 months really has taken it's toll on me and my family. I Sympathise with you Mary.T appointments in the UK take sooo long, but the worst of it is not getting a diagnosis.

I'll let you know how I get on - seems we have similar symptoms.

Best of luck

Ravin

Old 01-16-2004, 02:06 PM   #7
(female)

Mary.T HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin01
Hi All,

I've been reading these posts trying for the life of me to find out whats going on with me. Been to the doctor so many times as I have been feeling dizzy with these contstant aches up my back under the left shoulder blade and into my the back of my neck (seems always a little swollen). Any way to cut a long story short, i've had ecg's, x-rays and a lot of blood work - I finally got referred to a Reumatologist. I'm going in for a bone scan on monday (I think they inject you with a mild radiactive substance first so it shows up on the scan better) 19th to see if this brings up any clues - they're all baffled. Being only 35, and been stuck with this for over 8 months really has taken it's toll on me and my family. I Sympathise with you Mary.T appointments in the UK take sooo long, but the worst of it is not getting a diagnosis.

I'll let you know how I get on - seems we have similar symptoms.

Best of luck

Ravin
Hello Ravin

I hope that you get some answers on Monday. I have been muddling through all of this for the last few years ( I have never had a bone scan though). I saw my neurosurgeon on Tuesday 13th. He has said that I would now be a candidate for Artificial Disc Replacement at levels C5/6 and C6/7, but at the moment I am not going to opt for this. He was quite open with me, I had made a list of questions a mile long to ask him, because you always forget once you are in the chair so to speak, and you wait so long between appointments. I asked if he had any idea as to how long before symptoms may worsen, he could only answer, how long is a piece of string. He did say that I would not get any better than I am at present. So for the time being I am trying another course of medication through the pain clinic consultant at my local hospital for the next six weeks. He did feel that my occipital nerve could be being irritated going on the information that I gave him, but apparantly they can try and numb this nerve if the need arises. I get bouts of dizziness, shoulder pain, pain in left arm and hand, and numbness and tingling, but this is not present all the time. The ache in the neck is. I also read the Spinal cord disorders page, you should also look there. That pain or ache in the neck is really a pain in the neck isn't !!!. Unless anything more occurs, I will not see the neurosurgeon again until I feel symptoms are worsening enough, that I cant cope. Your rheumatologist may refer you to a neurosurgeon after your scan, that was the path that I went through, but it just takes so long for the appointments to come through. That is when I feel it is a good time to come on here and talk to others who are going through the same/similar as yourself, it is really difficult for others to understand, and at times it can be scary, cant it. Again, I wish you well for Monday, let us know how you get on.
This will make you smile. You know the saying here you wait an hour for a bus and then two come along together. Well on Tuesday, I saw the neurosurgeon at 2.20pm in one London hospital, and then chased back nearer to home for the pain clinic appointment at 4.30pm, and I made it !!!!. I wasn't going to let that appointment go, I wouldn't have got another one till April !!!

Regards, Mary

Old 01-19-2004, 04:18 PM   #8

controller HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy79
Hello Everyone,

Mandy
The symptons of arthritis in the kneck seem to be very similar in most sufferers,
However i am sure that my vision is being severely affected by my kneck problem. Resulting in only one eye focusing at a time, this varies from one eye to the other and changes in a matter of seconds, the none functioning eye becomes hazy or cloudy and seems to stop focusing, has anyone else suffered this type of problem?

Closed Thread