It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #1

Berenk HB User
Advice about MTX - and can you take it with Advil??

Hi
I began the symptoms of RA last August. Painful hands, feet, wrists and ankles. I found myself breathless. Swollen glands under neck. Flu symptoms. My ankles swelled. Following blood tests and physical examinations, I was put on MTX late November. I don't know how well its controlling my 'early' RA - but I seem to be able to get out of bed easier. Two months ago, it was a serious undertaking going to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
I also have cervical spondylothis/osteoarthritis in neck and spine. That has been managed with cortisone epidurals every eight months or so - Vioxx, muscle relaxants - and Advil.
I understand from the net that Advil interferes with MTX elimination through the kidneys. However, the paracetymol (sorry about spelling) the doctor prescribed doesn't do much for the pain.
Lastly, I find my right wrist much more painful than the left. I'm a painter/illustrator. And right-handed... I try however to do things in the house with my left. Do 'splints' exist for wrists... Any advice about making one's own??
I'd be really grateful for any thoughts/ideas about any of the above.
B

Old 01-02-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
(female)

nooyawker HB User
Re: Advice about MTX - and can you take it with Advil??

When I was on mtx, I also took daypro, vioxx, naproxen and celebrex. (Not all at the same time!) I dont know why advil would be any different. Why cant you just call doctor and ask him? I never used splints but I did find elastic bands that wrap around thumb and wrist that seemed to give support to the wrist. I bought in drugstore, not very expensive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 03:37 AM   #3

Berenk HB User

Hi - Thanks so much for reply.
I was wondering same thing about Vioxx versus Advil...
And would love to know what sort of experience you had with MTX? Did it help you - or did you just stop taking it. And what sort of side effects did you have?
On my end, I finally made myself a paraffin wax bath to dip my hands into. Used it last night while watching this very very long film on TV... And I think today that my hands feel better.
B

Old 01-06-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
(female)

nooyawker HB User

I took mtx for about a year. It helped somewhat but I didnt really feel great. I had no side effects. I stopped it because I go out on weekends for a few drinks and you cant take alcohol with mtx. Some people get great results with mtx. You shoiuld try it. I take enbrel injections now and it is working very well. I usually fell pretty good. Not like before the RA, but pretty good.

Closed Thread