It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2004, 04:48 PM   #1

cgm HB User
osteo and what to expect

Conclusive evidence via arthroscopy of grade III total joint degeneration of the knee 2 years post staph infection. Surgical debridement helped the pain to a small extent, but after 3 weeks back to work as an OR nurse full time, same pain, same areas, just not as soon in the day - takes til after one 2 hour case now instead of as soon as I start work.

Been trying to down the glucosamine - just can't seem to get it down.

Work-out routinely and sometimes it helps, others it worsens. Won't give up my job or what I want to do r/t social activities at the age of 36.

What does the near future look like based on what anyone else has experienced?

Yes, on NSAIDS - tylenol and 20mg Bextra daily. Take calcium 1000mg daily.

Yes, I limp fairly signigicantly by 1100 (day starts at 0700).

Need some reassurance and knowledge - really hate the unknown and no one I work with has ever had to deal with this at this age - doctor or nurses.

TIA

Old 01-04-2004, 07:52 AM   #2

becky1954 HB User
Re: osteo and what to expect

cgm-i am 49 and have just been dx with osteo of the spine.i am like you i have to keep working.i don't think i have a real bad case of it but my back really hurts a lot.the main thing it affects is my shopping.i cannot shop for very long at a time without it hurting.after 30 minutes my back is already hurting.my dr says to lose weight and that will help.i am sure it will but in the mean time i am in a lot of pain.i am on bextra and ultram.the ultram doesn't do much at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 10:34 AM   #3

cgm HB User

Good luck loosing the weight. Hopefully the pain med will help you. I just stopped the Bextra today to see if it is actually helping - been on it for 10 months with increasing dosage. Personally, I can't loose weight. Opposite problem. My pain causes me to loose weight - have to work so hard to walk at times, loss of appetite due to pain, and always had a struggle with maintaining my weight unless I can exercise. So, exercise is a dual edged sword for me - hard aerobic yet low impact and weight lifting improve my health and psychological state but aggravate the knee. So, have to put health before the knee situation.

Frustrating isn't it?!

Have they given you PT exercises? Something to look into.

Good Luck.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

becky1954, it's nice to know my sore back from grocery shopping is not all in my imagination. I have OA in my spine and all summer the shopping just got to my back.. really did and no one seemed to understand that. I've recently told a brother HE is doing my elderly mother's shopping and dragging all the sacks up her stairs for the next 2 months while I get this under control. Heavy grocery sacks are a serious problem.

BTW I am currently taking PT for my back 3x a week. I am finished with the second week. It seems to be helping, but I truthfully haven't done much of anything else. I have not been shopping, haven't done much in the way of anything to challange my back very much.

I have OA all up my spine (which is painful) and osteoporisis too. I've already developed a 10% Scolosis so I'm really trying to think of how to rearrange my life so as to avoid the bent back from osteoporisis as well as get a grip on the OA pain.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #5

becky1954 HB User

your sore back from shopping is definitely not in your imagination.it really hurts after i have been shopping even for 30 minutes.i went to a pt about 3 or 4 months ago and he worked on my back.i didn't have the arthritis then.the pt said it was from my job.i do data entry 8 hrs a day.he helped it some but on my last appt he said he was out of tricks.i seemed to get better after i quit going to him.i did the exercises faithfully but in the last month have fallen off.i tried to do them the other day but they don't help anymore.this arthritis is a differnt kind of pain from what i had when i went to pt.my hubby used to massage my neck and my back and it felt better but it doesn't help anymore.i have a long handled massager that i use on my shoulder blades that seems to help.i also used to be able to walk around my office to get rid of the pain but it doesn't help it anymore.i am going to see about getting stronger pain meds tomorrow.the bextra does help tho.i hope both of you feel better soon.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
(female)

cheryl1121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1954
your sore back from shopping is definitely not in your imagination.it really hurts after i have been shopping even for 30 minutes.i went to a pt about 3 or 4 months ago and he worked on my back.i didn't have the arthritis then.the pt said it was from my job.i do data entry 8 hrs a day.he helped it some but on my last appt he said he was out of tricks.i seemed to get better after i quit going to him.i did the exercises faithfully but in the last month have fallen off.i tried to do them the other day but they don't help anymore.this arthritis is a differnt kind of pain from what i had when i went to pt.my hubby used to massage my neck and my back and it felt better but it doesn't help anymore.i have a long handled massager that i use on my shoulder blades that seems to help.i also used to be able to walk around my office to get rid of the pain but it doesn't help it anymore.i am going to see about getting stronger pain meds tomorrow.the bextra does help tho.i hope both of you feel better soon.
Hi, I'm new to this site, but am glad to hear someone say that their back problem stems from their working at a data entry job. I also do data entry 8 hrs a day, or at least I use to. I had to finally stop working in October. My problem was from an improper workstation and chair. For almost two years I worked with my keyboard on a credenza, about 3-4 inches too high, my monitor was directly in front of the keyboard and my printer was to the right of my keyboard. That left no room for any paperwork in which to work from, so it had to go on another desk to my right that was about 3 feet from my chair. That caused me to have to turn my head and lean downward to see my papers. The chair I had was an antique executive chair with arms and a back that was broke. The back laid almost half way down and the arms keep me from being able to reach the keyboard, so I had to sit at the very edge of the chair to work, this caused me to slouch constantly. Anyway, arms went totally numb, after family dr., ortho dr, neuro dr, xrays, emg, conclusion was carpel tunnel both hands monderately severe, surgery on both last august. This was a w/c case, treating dr. (which is w/c dr.) said neck problem and lower back problem could not be caused by my work. Now Jan. and still waiting to be approved for MRI and treatment. xrays showed DDD, spurs impinging on neural formina, bulding disc lower back, no telling what else if I ever get to have MRI. The pain in my hands, wrist and lower back are so severe that I get only intermediate sleep and have lost all ability to do most normal things anymore. I have attorney but he said this takes months even years to get w/c to approve anything pertaining to the neck or back. He said it is impossible to get a doctor to say a back problem could be caused by working in an improper chair and workstation. How did you get your dr. to say work was causing your problem?
any information would sure be helpful. Thanks

Old 01-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm
Conclusive evidence via arthroscopy of grade III total joint degeneration of the knee 2 years post staph infection. Surgical debridement helped the pain to a small extent, but after 3 weeks back to work as an OR nurse full time, same pain, same areas, just not as soon in the day - takes til after one 2 hour case now instead of as soon as I start work.

Been trying to down the glucosamine - just can't seem to get it down.

Work-out routinely and sometimes it helps, others it worsens. Won't give up my job or what I want to do r/t social activities at the age of 36.

What does the near future look like based on what anyone else has experienced?

Yes, on NSAIDS - tylenol and 20mg Bextra daily. Take calcium 1000mg daily.

Yes, I limp fairly signigicantly by 1100 (day starts at 0700).

Need some reassurance and knowledge - really hate the unknown and no one I work with has ever had to deal with this at this age - doctor or nurses.

TIA
Sorry cgm, we did not answer your knee question. I have had OA in my knees for over 4 years per x-ray and 4 years ago it was so bad I developed misaligned bones. YEP..it's painful. I find not useing my knees is the least painful idea. (LOL, no help am I?)
Actually you ARE supposed to use them. Short walks..low impact excercises....calmly walking a treadmill .. nothing with impact on the joint though. Swimming is supposed to be good and relaxing but I never swim.
Actually I find useing atheletic knee supports helps a lot sometimes. So do heating pads on rough nights. This is because the muscles on either side of my own knees are so sore from helping support my OA caused misaligned bones a the knee. I find even 10 min sessions useing an excercise bike set at NO resistance gives me more ability to bend my knees easily (less snap, crackle, pop feelings). I set it at NO resistance because my knees are too bad to use resistance. NO impact is my ticket to ride.

I do take Schiff's Move free Glucosamine & Chondroitin pills and they do help me with the knee pain. No, they don't take ALL the pain away but it helps. Takes a while to notice they help though, weeks. It's not like taking a pain pill for immediate relief. I stopped for 6 months to test it and yep I went back to them now cuz the knee pain was much worse without the Schiffs.

Sadly as far as I know there is no real answer for deteriorateing knees except hang on and keep on going till there is no choice left but partial or full knee replacement. You might want to see if partial replacement (or full replacement) can help you keep your job. I know that's not what you want to hear.

EDIT: see my next post below please.

Last edited by snowmelts; 01-05-2004 at 08:44 PM.

Old 01-05-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Me again

I must add that I don't know what a Surgical debridement is.

is deteriateing cartilidge the problem or is it bone itself?

OH you are 36? You can probably still grow replacement cartilidge.. I don't think they will even consider a replacement at that age. I had the cartilidge between my left knee joint competely removed by surgery (cartilidge broken in a car accident accident) when I was about 30 (I'm 56 now) and it did grow back just fine in about 4 months. 26 years ago that was a MAJOR surgery and now it's simple outpatient surgery (LOL love modern medicine). anyway i did do therapy and use a cane and missed 4 months work but after that I had a job where I STOOD all day for years afterward and the knee was fine.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:25 PM   #9

becky1954 HB User

cheryl-it was my pt who said my back and neck problems were caused by data entry.he said our bodies are not meant to sit for 8 hrs.he said i needed to get up every hour to take a break.he even wrote a note to my boss stating that.i have not been faithful to that however.that was before i was dx with arthritis in my spine.it was also a different pain than i am having now.i tried to get workers comp but they denied me.for one thing i didn't let my bosses know in the correct amt of time.this had also happened the year before and i should have known that this was the same thing.now when i get up and walk however it seems to hurt my back more.so i know this is something completely different than before.on my last visit to the pt he said he was out of tricks.i actually got better after i quit going.then this came back with a vengeance but like i said i knew this was a different kind of pain.i called my dr to try to get something stronger than ultram b/c it is not doing anything.all he said was to take tylenol or advil with it.i was already doing that.i know this is not a workers comp case b/c i hurt at home too.before when i was going to the pt i only hurt at work.i know they say to exercise with arthritis but it actually hurts my back more.keep me posted on how you are doing.take care!

Old 01-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #10

cgm HB User

Debridement = smoothing out the rough areas of cartlidge (not the meniscus/bumper cushions) to cut down on irritation. Has helped some, but by the end of one 2hour surgical case, I'm back to limping. Hmmmm.

Cartlidge stimulation/replacement/etc. procedures are not an option due to the degeneration (loss of cartlidge lining the ENTIRE knee joint) being global - tibial, femoral and patellar involvement.

Have tried the bicycle many times and my knees have never, even since I was a teen, liked the activity. Vividly remember the same knee locking up on me while I was out for a ride during my teens - not good.

Like I said, can't seem to stomach the glucosamine, so I guess like you said I'll have to wait it out until it gets totally unbearable.

Tried to go off the Bextra after surgery and the recovery, not a good idea.

Good-luck yourself!

CGM

Closed Thread