It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

hobbytools HB User
Question How good is glucosamine/chondroitin & MSM ...

in treating osteoarthritis? Anybody here use it? What are have your results been?

I've had osteoarthritis for years (I'm 58), but it's now beginning to get a good bit worse. Today, I started taking 1,000 mg of MSM twice a day, glucosamine (750 mg)/chondroitin (600 mg) twice a day and Coenzyme Q-10 (150 mg) once a day. I'm also taking a regular prescription dose of 600 mg of ibuprofen three times a day in the beginning.

Any thoughts about this?

Sandy

Old 01-11-2004, 04:48 AM   #2
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User
Re: How good is glucosamine/chondroitin & MSM ...

Make sure to find a reputable source for these products.

Studies have been done that say all products are not what they appear to be

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbytools
in treating osteoarthritis? Anybody here use it? What are have your results been?

I've had osteoarthritis for years (I'm 58), but it's now beginning to get a good bit worse. Today, I started taking 1,000 mg of MSM twice a day, glucosamine (750 mg)/chondroitin (600 mg) twice a day and Coenzyme Q-10 (150 mg) once a day. I'm also taking a regular prescription dose of 600 mg of ibuprofen three times a day in the beginning.

Any thoughts about this?

Sandy
As they say not all poducts do or appear as they say so find a reputable one.

Glucosamine does have some anti inflamatory properties but chondroitin has been shown to do obsolutely nothing and it is best to get gluco without the chondrit. MSM didn't do anything for me either and Co Enzyme Q10 I've never tried. Mine is severe in the neck spine and hands and really just take anti inflamatory drugs like mobic and yet the best one that works for me is Aspirin if I take consistently which I don't.

Last edited by NancyH; 01-12-2004 at 07:55 PM.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #4

WarBonds HB User

hobbytools,

Buy a good quality glucosamine/chondroitin product (standardized for potency) and then take a total of 1500mgs of glucosamine and 1200 mgs of chondroitin per day, in divided doses. Give them time to work, say at least 2-3 months. Don't worry if you have a bad day along the road to recovery ...this is to be expected.

Also, I strongly suggest you add turmeric/curcumin (an orange spice) to your regimine...it acts as an inflammatory and is VERY effective and will ease inflammation very well.

I have been personally using these products shown above, for over 5 years and they are my lifesavers for osteoarthritis.
Before I used them, I could only walk a few hundred yards and I would be in pain. Now, I can walk and walk and walk, until my feet get normally tired, the arthritis flares up only on seldom occassion! (I have osteoarthritis in both big toe joints).

Been there, done that

WarBonds

ps....I try like the devil to avoid aspirin/advil/tylenol and the other NSAID's! At best, they only provide temporary relief, not to mention long term side effects!

I have found no side effects with glucosamin/chondroitin and turmeric whatsoever

Good Night

Last edited by WarBonds; 01-13-2004 at 08:19 PM.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #5
(female)

hobbytools HB User
Talking Re: How good is glucosamine/chondroitin & MSM ...

Thanks for your responses! I started taking 750/600 glucosamine/chondroitin twice daily four days ago along with 1,000 mg of MSM twice daily and 150 mg of CoEnzyme Q-10 once a day (which I understand is excellent for wound-healing and why it may be prescribed for both heart patients and people with bleeding gums...). I've been taking 1,800 to 2,400 mg of ibuprofen for about five years now (with about a year away from that while I was taking Celebrex). I'd like not to have to take either one of them and plan to reduce the ibuprofen as the new stuff kicks in.

Actually, after two days, I'm experiencing much less pain already (strangely enough). Even my sciatic-nerve pain is almost gone. Only time will tell whether this is one of those occasional "breaks" from pain. I did hear from one person who started off taking just 1,000 mg of MSM twice daily and stopped having pain after two days on it. Now, she says she takes ibuprofen once in a while on a cold, damp day.

Again, thanks for your responses! They are much appreciated!

Sandy

Old 01-14-2004, 07:17 AM   #6
(female)

hobbytools HB User

A quick P.S.: I'm buying Member's Mark vitamins from Sam's Club.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

There is a discussion on this and possible SIDE EFFECTS in this thread..
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=128321[/url]

Old 01-15-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
(female)

hobbytools HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmelts
There is a discussion on this and possible SIDE EFFECTS in this thread..
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=128321[/url]
Hi, snowmelts --

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I didn't see anything about possible side effects, though. If you're referring to the line about arthritis in the fingers, I took it to mean that there was little trace of the arthritis left except for the fingers. Perhaps I read it wrong?

Thanks again!

Sandy

Last edited by hobbytools; 01-15-2004 at 06:19 AM.

Old 01-15-2004, 06:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I guess I'll quote my own post from the prior thread.

Quote:
Generally speaking it is recommended to take both Glucosamine Complex and Chondroitin Sulfate.

Changes in the hair and nails are known side effects of ANY brand of Glucosamine Complex and Chondroitin Sulfate.

WARNING: Also Chondroitin is a natural blood thinner and you should NOT take it if you are taking blood thinners or aspirin therapy
It has had definate side effect on my hair. Not a bad effect but the first year I found it frusterateing so I cut my hair very short in order to control it somewhat. The Schiffs does not give as drastic a side effect to my hair so I'm wearing not as short now. But this side effect happens to a lot of people.

The natural blood thinner WARNING is a serious one. If you are taking either a blood thinner med or a clotting med you must discuss this with your Dr.

Last edited by snowmelts; 01-15-2004 at 07:01 AM.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:16 AM   #10
(female)

hobbytools HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmelts
I guess I'll quote my own post from the prior thread.

It has had definate side effect on my hair. Not a bad effect but the first year I found it frusterateing so I cut my hair very short in order to control it somewhat. The Schiffs does not give as drastic a side effect to my hair so I'm wearing not as short now. But this side effect happens to a lot of people.

The natural blood thinner WARNING is a serious one. If you are taking either a blood thinner med or a clotting med you must discuss this with your Dr.
Hi again, snowmelts --

As you can see, I'm new to Healthboards, and I didn't see the page numbers at the bottom of the screen, which is why I didn't see your other post. Since I'm only taking an 83mg aspirin once a day as a blood thinner, I think I'm safe, but it's good to know that. My partner, a lupus patient, takes a heavy-duty blood thinner, Coumadin (Warfarin), along with 8 other medications, we always have to be careful about what new stuff she takes.

What I have is a glucosamine hydrochloride (750mg)/condroitin sulfate (600mg) combination tablet. It says it's comparable to Osteo-Bi-Flex and Move Free. MSM is a 1,000mg tablet, and CoQ-10 is a 150mg caplet.

Btw, I laughed about your "wild" hair. I could deal with that if I can get some pain relief.

Thanks so much for your posts, snowmelts!

Sandy

Old 01-16-2004, 03:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbytools
Thanks for your responses! I started taking 750/600 glucosamine/chondroitin twice daily four days ago along with 1,000 mg of MSM twice daily and 150 mg of CoEnzyme Q-10 once a day (which I understand is excellent for wound-healing and why it may be prescribed for both heart patients and people with bleeding gums...). I've been taking 1,800 to 2,400 mg of ibuprofen for about five years now (with about a year away from that while I was taking Celebrex). I'd like not to have to take either one of them and plan to reduce the ibuprofen as the new stuff kicks in.

Actually, after two days, I'm experiencing much less pain already (strangely enough). Even my sciatic-nerve pain is almost gone. Only time will tell whether this is one of those occasional "breaks" from pain. I did hear from one person who started off taking just 1,000 mg of MSM twice daily and stopped having pain after two days on it. Now, she says she takes ibuprofen once in a while on a cold, damp day.

Again, thanks for your responses! They are much appreciated!

Sandy
Sandy, i was determined to give theglucosamine/chondroitin a good try and took it faithfully toke the pills for five months, and it had absolutely had no effect on my osteoarthritis.

I have taken 800 mg of generic ibuprofen, and it is no cure but keeps the inflammation and pain down to a degree.

Their are no laws or guidelines that prevent anyone from claiming that dietary suppplements can cure anything, and not only that, you have no assurence that supplements are safe or the pills contain what they claim.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I agree with bruce, there are no regulations with these supplements. I tried it for over many months and nothing changed, but aspirin or ibuprofen really took the edge off the inflamation real quickly. Aspirin is a proven anti inflamatory as well as ibuprofen. The claims of glucosamine/chondritin have not been really proven, tho they said the placebo effect worked as well as any drug. So if ya think it is going to work, it just might. I think we get so desperate to find relief that any snake oil charmer can make anything sound too good to be true, which usually is the case. I tend to not listen to the the ones selling the product, like the commercials as having been in sales years ago we had to say anything to convince someone our product was better than anything else. most of these products can't back up their claims and until they do I'm staying away.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Actually I take mine because my Dr recommended it. He not say any specific brand to buy, he just told me to get some and take it. And my own trial has proven to me it is working for my knee pain.
However I am highly allergic to aspirin so I cetainly can't take that.. a lot of people are simply trying to avoid things like aspirin that tear up tummies. The glucosamine/chondroitin & MSM does not hurt my stomache at all.

I know for a fact it helps the pain in my knees from OA, because I took it a couple years under my Dr's orders, stopped 6 months and the knee pain got fierce so I started back on it and the knees are my least painful place now while I'm taking it. I'm definately taking it for my knees.
But I can't tell if it is helping my back OA. If it is then I sure would hate to feel this back without it because my back OA seriously hurts.

I would suggest trying it and see if it helps you. If you get no results then stop.
I think it is a big help to Osteoarthritis where most pain is from lost cartilidge, lost connective tissues and bone rubbing on bone but I'm in doubt if it would help Rhumatoid since that is so very different and mostly involves inflamation pain. RA is a whole diff ballgame than OA. I have OA.

Last edited by snowmelts; 01-16-2004 at 07:57 PM.

Old 01-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

That is interesting that you received poaitive results with the glu/chon.

my oateoarthritis is bone rubbing against bone in both knees. I visited my doctor yesterday and referred to an orthopedic surgeon, which i have been through in the past. I now have shoulder pain whcih looks like the same thing.

I don't trust suplements and it looks like i am stuck with it.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:32 AM   #15

WarBonds HB User

Just a note....

Glucosamine & chondroitin are not cure-alls or miracle workers.
Luckily, they have worked well for me, but did not cure my OA, as such.
I still would not be without them. Taking aspirin/advil everyday didn't sit well with me, so I went looking for supplements. Like anything else, it is trial and error whatever works okay for you.....I am glad I found gluc/chondr !!
Also, the more your cartilage is worn down, the less effective gluc/chondr are.

WarBonds

Closed Thread