It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 05:36 AM   #1

misholmes HB User
Smile knee pain at 31!

Hi All
I've had knee pain for the past couple of months and really at its worst when I sit down and try to get back up or walk up and down the stairs. I'm 31 years old and I'm not nor have I ever been an athlete or a jogger. Could this be arthritis? I also hear my knees "popping" when I do these things.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
(male)

Bob2 HB User
Re: knee pain at 31!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misholmes
Hi All
I've had knee pain for the past couple of months and really at its worst when I sit down and try to get back up or walk up and down the stairs. I'm 31 years old and I'm not nor have I ever been an athlete or a jogger. Could this be arthritis? I also hear my knees "popping" when I do these things.
Thanks
That is the exact symptoms I had more than 2 years ago, when I started limping because the pain was getting fairly bad in my left knee. Before I limped any, I had your symptons for many months. I had xrays done of my left knee and the diagnosis is osteoarthritis. If you look down further you will see a post titled Turmeric is a Very Good Anti-inflammatory. That may help you. It does not hurt to try. It is far more healthy than the traditional prescription NSAIDS too. Of course you should get a diagnosis from doctors, because it could be something else entirely.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
(female)

Tree Hugger HB User

Hey..
only 31...
arthritus is funny....
well not FUNNY funny, but strange, where MOST people who get it are up there in the age department.. I am 20 and have had full blown arthritus since I was ONLY 14!!!
through medications (anti-imflamitories mostly) and moving to a nice DRY province it very rarely actually gets in the way of my day to day life, i am used to the OLD feeling knees and have handy braces that help me on the bad days!
But...
there is a good side to arthritus.. it isnt fatal!
thats what my doctor always told me when i was a kid when ever I would feel sorry for mysefl!
just gotta keep usin the old knees and keepin them strong and most of all keep your spirits strong!
Good luck!

Old 01-20-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
(male)

gorgon HB User

I always have to ask this when I hear your symptoms: Are you taking any statin drugs for cholesterol? I had your problem - as have many on the various cholesterol boards - and joint pain (sometimes severe) is a possible side-effect. Just something for you to consider.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:58 PM   #5

FarmGirl30 HB User

Hey there,

Don't feel too bad -- I have arthritis and Im 30. I heard the same thing about Turmeric but havent had a chance to try it yet myself. I have the same symptoms as you do, including the popping joints. Would say it's arthritis, yep. Please get the knees X-rayed to see how bad it is. There are meds for it, to help the symptoms, but I prefer herbal stuff if I can.

Take care!

FarmGirl30

Old 01-28-2004, 01:30 AM   #6
Veteran

Saka HB User

Don't feel too bad there. I am 24 and have had a bad knee for about 4 years now. When I went to the doctor he said it was probably caused by some sort of knee trauma earlier on but I cannot think of anything that I did that could be called trauma. He told me that my cartlidge is wearing away and I may have to have knee replacement surgery eventually. Something to look forward to isn't it?!

It aches most when I've had it bent for some time, been walking or standing a lot or it is cold or raining. I take an anti-inflammatory for my pain which helps a lot.

I have been told also (by a personal trainer I once went to) that if you strengthen your thight muscles it can help with the pain and slow down the progress of the arthritis a little because it means that you are using your thigh muscles more than your knee ligaments, therefor putting less pressure on your knee.

Closed Thread