HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Arthritis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/)
-   -   3000mg of glucosamine (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/144072-3000mg-glucosamine.html)

Royalty 01-21-2004 02:39 PM

3000mg of glucosamine

This might seem excessive but Im taking double the recommended dose. I have heard that glucosame is safe. I did read that it may effect insulin though. I eat no sugar and not much carbs so I should be ok.

like I said in a earlier post, I read that taking acetyl glucosame with regular glucosamine is best.

That spelling may not be correct. I will try to do a google search and see if I can order it.

snowmelts 01-21-2004 10:32 PM

Re: 3000mg of glucosamine

[QUOTE=Royalty]This might seem excessive but Im taking double the recommended dose. I have heard that glucosame is safe. I did read that it may effect insulin though. I eat no sugar and not much carbs so I should be ok.

like I said in a earlier post, I read that taking acetyl glucosame with regular glucosamine is best.

That spelling may not be correct. I will try to do a google search and see if I can order it.[/QUOTE]

WHY are you doubleing the dose?

Royalty 01-22-2004 04:33 AM

[QUOTE=snowmelts]WHY are you doubleing the dose?[/QUOTE]

I have joint pain in many joints. I figured that if more joints are in need of repair, then more building blocks will be needed to do the job.

Bruce 01-22-2004 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Royalty]I have joint pain in many joints. I figured that if more joints are in need of repair, then more building blocks will be needed to do the job.[/QUOTE]

Supplements are not regulated by the FDA and their is no proof the pills contain what they claim/

You are doing a dangerous thing, self doctoring. You have no idea what doubling the dose can do to you, and recommending this for others opens you up for a lawsuite

Royalty 01-22-2004 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=Bruce]Supplements are not regulated by the FDA and their is no proof the pills contain what they claim/

You are doing a dangerous thing, self doctoring. You have no idea what doubling the dose can do to you, and recommending this for others opens you up for a lawsuite[/QUOTE]

lawsuit? I have not told anyone to change the amount of glucosamine they take! I'm simply telling you what I take. Ask a lawyer how good of case you would have attempting to sue a person in a internet chatroom for talking about glucosamine! He or she would laugh.

Just so you know, Glucosamine is produced in small amounts by the body.

I have read nothing about glucosamine being toxic to any organ. Unfortunately, the same cant be said for NSAID's. i have only been here 2 days and I have already seen that some people are telling others to try other drugs...isnt that playing doctor too?.

One of the reasons Im taking this dose is because I have read that many long distance runners use 3000mg. These runners are working with doctors by the way.

I havent started popping some unheard of dosage that hasnt been attempted or considered yet. I weigh 220lbs. A woman who weighs 110lbs may take 1500mg. I weigh twice as much as her and may do better taking twice the amount.

snowmelts 01-22-2004 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=Royalty]. I weigh 220lbs. A woman who weighs 110lbs may take 1500mg. I weigh twice as much as her and may do better taking twice the amount.[/QUOTE]

When I bought a certain other brand they listed right on the package that the "recommended dosage" was 500 mg per day per each 50 lbs of body weight.

..so you're not exactly overdoseing by a lot. BUT I have no idea is overdoseing at all is good or bad or unremarkable. I really can't tell ya.
I do think your body will tell ya in no uncertain terms if you are hurting it for very long. perhaps you should ask the Dr next time you visit that office. Or e-mail the manufactuer and ask them.

In my opinion you should take each Glusosimine 500mg with a Chondrotin 400mg.
Most suppliments are sold in that strength combination. Some people add MSM since you do have to have some sulfer in order for your body to use the Glu/Cho

Threatening a lawsuit is rather a frivious reply. There are no Doctors posting to my knowledge. On these boards personal opinons are given.. and you won't get sued for having a valid personal opinion. Although I know all posters here are not in America I'd like to say that In America that is called the right to free speech as long as it is not detremental to others. The OP haveing said she is taking a certain thing..is a fact about her and nothing more. My relpy asking her why is simply that..a personal questions and I think she has given a good personal answer.
I'll go search for some specific on the suppliment....

snowmelts 01-22-2004 01:02 PM

If you search medlineplus.com for glucosamine you will find articles listing known WARNINGS and cautions.. like diabetic warnings.. the fact it WILL thin your blood..ect ect.. You should read these warnings to help you consider adverse side effect of the higher dosage..

hope that helps.

Royalty 01-22-2004 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=snowmelts]If you search medlineplus.com for glucosamine you will find articles listing known WARNINGS and cautions.. like diabetic warnings.. the fact it WILL thin your blood..ect ect.. You should read these warnings to help you consider adverse side effect of the higher dosage..

hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Im a actually a man snowmelts. I know that some of the things that I discussed made it seem like I was a female.

Im comparing myself as a 220lb male to a 110lb female in the glucosamine dosage difference.

Thanks for the 500mg per 50lbs of body weight info!

snowmelts 01-22-2004 02:22 PM

Oh.. Sorry...I shouldn't take things like gender for granted. My habitual mistake is to too often decide the poster is female. But 220 lbs is till 220 lbs :)

snowmelts 01-22-2004 05:13 PM

Royalty, I just read your other post.
I think, from my reading and experience with OA, I should mention that the Glu/Chon is more useful for Osteoarthritis(OA) (cartilidge deterioration) than Rhumatoid arthritis (RA) (inflamation).
Although if it helps more power to you!