It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2001, 07:33 PM   #1

DarkStarWon HB User
Post Has anyone taken Glucosamine Chondroitin

My dr just prescribed Glucosamine Chondroitin for me. Has anyone tried this and does it actually help? Did you have any side effects from it. Have only been taking it for 3 days, but having a really hard time getting the pills down because they are so big....Did these cause gas problems/pain for any of you...my stomach has not felt right since taking this. How long does it take before you see results? I'm hoping I can quit taking my celebrex now, but the dr said not to just yet.

Old 05-16-2001, 05:51 AM   #2

sferg HB User
Cool

I've been taking Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM for the last 2 years. Sometimes I get heartburn from them but I find taking them with meals eliminates this. I do find that it works very well. My understanding is that it increases the sinovial fluid around the joints to maintain integrity. I heard people claim that it grows new cartilage, but I have my doubts on that one.
Good luck with them,
Shelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2001, 05:56 AM   #3

DarkStarWon HB User
Have you had any problems with it causing intestional gas? My stomach feels so bloated and like trapped gas since starting these things. Also, what brand do you take? Mine are so huge I wish I could find a smaller pill. Do you think different brands matter as far as quality goes?

Old 05-16-2001, 06:58 PM   #4

sferg HB User
I take Swiss Herbal brand, I find there is a difference between brands as far as quality and consistency of the product. I take 500mgs of glucosamine sulfate, 1000mgs of MSM, and 300mgs of chondroitin sulphate twice a day, with breakfast and supper. On another brand I tried I did get indigestion, but I believe that it is very important to take them at a meal time . It normally helps to curb any digestive side effects. How much are you taking?
Shelly

Old 05-16-2001, 07:27 PM   #5

DarkStarWon HB User
I'm taking 1500 of gluc and 800 of the chond....it's the brand by sundown...doesn't have the MSM in it,,,or the other stuff you mentioned...what is that for? I think I am going to by it all individually so that maybe the pill size will be smaller...hate taking these they are so huge

Old 05-17-2001, 09:22 PM   #6

sferg HB User
I believe buying them individually is a good idea, that's how I do it. It allows for greater dosage flexibility. The MSM is a mineral supplement. It use to occur naturally and we would get it from our root veggies, but acid rain has leeched it out of the soil.It is good for muscle aches and pains. My Grandfather use to use it in an oil form on his race horses when he rubbed them down after a race. That stuff really smells, but in a pill form there is no odour and you are ingesting it in much smaller doses.
Good luck with it,
Shelly

Old 05-31-2001, 12:08 PM   #7

DarkStarWon HB User
How long were you on it before you noticed a difference? What is the other ingredient for?

Old 06-03-2001, 04:51 AM   #8
rosarobin

Cool

I have a problem swallowing those HUGE pills! That's why I've been using this brand of glucosamine-chondroiten which are reasonably small capsules; and have consumed them for three years with no side effects at all. The label says Biochem Glucosamine Chondroitin Formula and the manufacturer is Country Life. I purchase them in the health food store and they are a tad expensive but very easy to swallow! (Rosalee)

Old 06-13-2001, 08:52 PM   #9

Mila HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by rosarobin:
I have a problem swallowing those HUGE pills! That's why I've been using this brand of glucosamine-chondroiten which are reasonably small capsules; and have consumed them for three years with no side effects at all. The label says Biochem Glucosamine Chondroitin Formula and the manufacturer is Country Life. I purchase them in the health food store and they are a tad expensive but very easy to swallow! (Rosalee)
Rosalee, do you take any other meds with this? How long does it take to see results?

Old 07-05-2001, 08:36 PM   #10

tulips HB User
I saw results in six weeks. My hair and nails were also improved.( There is a gelatin covered pill that's easier to swallow but more expensive.) The effect lasted about one year. Now I'm taking Vioxx.

Old 08-13-2001, 09:05 AM   #11
rosarobin

Talking

Mila; sorry that I haven't responded to your question. I had stopped coming to this site. Anyway, I've been taking that brand of g/c for three years and whenever I run out of them I try to STOP. Then when my knees ache a little, I resume taking the product. Them seem to help alleviate the achy knees. I do not consume any other meds, as I'm very anti-drug. I did alter my diet very drastically (eliminated meat, dairy, sugar, wheat, etc.) and I believe that also helped tremendously to diminish the o/a.

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 08-13-2001).]

Old 08-14-2001, 11:32 AM   #12

jane2 HB User
I had gas and heartburn on it. I Husband took it for a long time and still has no cartilage.

Leg pain (l5, L4) - probably spine related

Migraines

MS Contin, Valium, Neurontin and Soma

Old 08-14-2001, 01:20 PM   #13

lcadaval HB User
yes--I am begining to take now in the hope that it will help my knee pain after playing tennis . Having pain also when climbing or going down stairs . Cant sit to long in my office also .Its hard also to get up from chairs . How about you ? Did you hear about MSN . I am 65 male very healthy otherwise .

Old 08-16-2001, 07:58 AM   #14
rosarobin

Cool

Icadaval..... I also had a difficult time walking up stairs and getting out of a chair when using my legs. I found that 10 sessions with a physical therapist has done wonders for me and now, on my own in the gym, my muscles are strong enough to do stairs and rise from a chair without using my hands. Since I had babied my knees for 3 years (torn meniscus & arthritis), I had lost muscle-tone and the p/t really gave me the confidence to rebuild the muscles. They do come back with effort! MSN didn't help me as much as the g/c. (Rosalee)

Closed Thread