It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2001, 09:11 AM   #1

Kathy2sons HB User
Question SEVERE PAIN IN BOTH FEET

Hi, my name is Kathy (newbie) and I was wondeing if severe pain in both feet at the same time is a common symptom of arthritis? I was diagnosed about a year ago with fibromyalgia; but during the last six months my feet,toes,elbows,hips,and wrists are constantly in pain (waking up at night with severe pain in hips)and if I have been sitting a while it's sooo hard to get up and moving again. My index fingers are really turning in towards my other fingers. I'm getting very worried. Any info would be nice. Thank You!

Old 08-02-2001, 05:42 PM   #2

Mattsmummum HB User
If you're having pain on both sides of your body in the same areas, that is a definite symptom of Rheumatoid Arthritis....I know, I have it. Is the foot pain as if you are walking on bruises? Are you seeing a rheumatologist for the fibro, if not I would suggest you see one soon. The quicker they can get you on a program the less the damage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2001, 04:03 PM   #3

RBarker HB User
Hi Kathy,
I agree with the first response you recieved, you need to see a rhumotologist. Also a quick ? do you also experience severe burning in your feet at night also. I have Osteoarthritis in all my joints and fibromyalgia to boot. The Rhumy blames all my feet burning and pain on the fibromyalgia.
Good Luck too YA
Becky

Old 08-03-2001, 08:31 PM   #4

Kathy2sons HB User
Thank you Mattsmummum & Becky for your replies. I am sooo glad I found this web site. It's so strange how all of these symptoms have been playing games with my body. I was so relieved when I finally got a diagnosis from a rheumatologist and knew my symptoms had a name. I didn't have the foot pain when I first was diagnosed. It was mostly severe hip and knee pain waking me up at night. About six months ago the foot pain started and it has really gotten me worried; I am almost walking with a limp because putting full weight on feet is painful. It may go away for an hour or maybe even for 1/2 of the day and then BAM it's back. So when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a while back I kept thinking well, all of these pains must be fibro. I am going to get an appt. w/another rheumatologist hopefully sooon. I may just need to vent some more. I hope you two are not having too much pain. Take Care, I will let you know what the Dr. says. I hope I didn't ramble too much. Kathy

Old 08-04-2001, 06:33 PM   #5

Mattsmummum HB User
Best of luck to you, Kathy. You're on the right track and keep us posted. I'm thankfully mostly pain free after 9 years. The last 5 have been medication free.

Old 08-13-2001, 07:17 AM   #6

jane2 HB User
I have foot pain like you and fibro-like symptoms, but don't have either fibro or arthritis. I am seeing a Rheumatologist and he is calling it non-serum arthritis. Means nothing shows up in the blood work, but he wants to treat it as if I had arthritis. He treats people with fibro too. I think a rheumatologist is the way to go. He told me I might not get a diagnosis, but that he could help me. Just starting with him, so it is too early to say.

Leg pain (l5, L4) - probably spine related

Migraines

MS Contin, Valium, Neurontin and Soma

Old 08-16-2001, 07:26 AM   #7

jane2 HB User
Neurontin and Mobic (NSAID) are helping my foot pain. Neurontin is for nerve pain. Seems to stop the throbbing pain. Stretching helped to. Now the pain is above the ankle. Not sure that is an improvement.

Migraines

Old 08-29-2001, 04:24 PM   #8

kellie35 HB User
Talking

Kathy, I too have experienced chronic foot pain, so my heart goes out to you because I know how hard it is. Talk to your rheumatologist about how you can try to reduce the pain and stop any joint destruction. I found orthodics inside my shoes gave me lots of relief but eventually the deformities in my feet became so severe and caused so much pain that I had forefoot surgery to both feet. It was an ordeal, had to shuffle around on my heels for 6 weeks but it sure was worth it. That was 3 ears ago and now I no longer need orthodics and only get the odd twinge of pain in my feet. Yes, this is certainly a last resort, so stay positive and believe that there are answers out there. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2001, 01:30 PM   #9

Kathy2sons HB User
Hi everyone, I havn't had my rheumatologist appt. yet ,but I seen a Neurologist yesterday due to my chronic headaches/and a burning pain in my neck and feet/other symptoms. He did a nerve test, and then mentioned he was going to use a needle in a few areas. He could tell I wasn't thrilled at that point. He proceeded to stick this needle in a few areas in my upper back, and I suddenly was not very quiet. It hurt bad. So basically he said I have a pinched nerve in my elbow,and he wants me to have an MRI of my neck area (upper spine?) I told the neurologist about my fibromyalgia/osteoarthritis diagnoses and he suggested I go on Prozac and I told him that I would rather not. I had tried trazodone in the past and it's the only one I was able to sleep on. (It was prescribed to help me sleep) I'm not saying prozac is bad I just didn't want to take it. I explained that I am more frustrated than depressed. He said it will help reduce the pain. I told him I was willing to go back on the trazodone. The Dr. also started me on neurontin. I have only been on it for one day. It is a strong med. I want to give it a go but sometimes the side effects can become intollerable. He stressed that I need to stay on it long enough for it to be effective. Then I found out it is usually prescribed for seizures.... So anyway between the Neurologist's help and my appt. with my rheumatologist soon, I hope to have some more answers. I had blood work done and lupus,rheumatoid, and gout were ruled out. So I don't know why I have the burning type pain. I will go over this at my next appt. I hope everyone has enjoyed their summer. We were able to go to the beach a few times and to our sons travel baseball games. Take Care Kathy

Old 08-31-2001, 06:52 PM   #10

Mattsmummum HB User
Cathy, do a search on this site for posts about neurontin. I've had several posts and so have others. This medication was originally developed and marketed for seizures, but it is being widely used for nerve pain and with great success, my husband being one of them. Some people cannot tolerate the medicine others can and even with the ususal list of possible side effects, this drug usually does not exhibit many. It is an expensive drug if you don't have insurance. I agree with you not wanting to take Prozac as you are in real pain, not depression.

Old 08-31-2001, 11:30 PM   #11

jane2 HB User
I have many of your symptoms headaches, burning pain and spasms in neck and pain in feet. Neuronitin makes me feel like a zombie, but it has helped with the burining pain a great deal. The side effects get better. Takes a while to work. Really good for nerve pain. Not just for siezures anymore. Give it a chance.

I am trying Plaquenil. For arthritis. Nothing showed up in my blood work, but Rheum. wants me to try it anyway. Hoping it will work.

Forgot to mention. Recently upped my dosage of Neurontin to 900 MGS. Bad brain fog, but feet feel good. Am actually walking. Could be the Plaquenil too, but increase in Neurontin definately makes a big difference.

[This message has been edited by jane2 (edited 09-01-2001).]

Migraines

Closed Thread