It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2001, 04:57 PM   #1

lfantell HB User
Post Does arthritis come on suddenly? Tests?

Is it common for arthritis to suddenly appear? As I have mentioned previously, I have had some back pain since June which worsened instead of getting better. However, during the last couple of weeks, I have suddenly developed pains in many of my other joints which are worse upon rising in the morning. Are there blood or other tests that can be performed (other than x-raying my whole body) to determine if arthritis is causing the problems?

Old 11-09-2001, 04:50 PM   #2
(female)

speck HB User
well lets just say that mine was brought on by a secondry infection when i had my tonsils out.
apparently what i had suffered before then was RA but it took that infection to really take hold.
i suggest that if your concerned you ask your doctor to run the tests-there are some!! back & joint pain is no fun.... especially when there is no reason known!! It can come on suddenly like it did to my sister-in-law at the age of twelve she was struck down with RA badly (healthy before) and has is now has it VERY bad (25 yrs later).
I hope that whatever is effecting you gets sorted soon

[This message has been edited by speck (edited 11-09-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2001, 05:35 PM   #3

Karen P HB User
Hi,

I was struck down with r/a in March of this year. It come on very suddenly. I woke up one morning and the joints on my hands, wrist, elbows, shoulders, hips and knees where swollen, red and very, very sore. I went to the Dr. that day and He told me he would run a r/a factor on me. They determined that I had r/a. I think back and I had symtoms but just brushed them off as just aches and pains of every day life. I went to a rhuematoid Dr and they took x-rays of my hands and determined that I had joint deterioration. They put me on 30 mg of prednisone a day and methatrexate. I felt better on the meds, however I got very sick and quit taking them. I have my aches and pains and I have pain in my back. I am going to go back to the r/a Dr. and get back on my meds. I hope you don't have r/a. Maybe you should have your Dr. give you the test because you will be able to pin point the problem. Living with pain is no fun. The pain that you described could be anything. I wish you the best.
Karen

Old 11-10-2001, 08:00 PM   #4

Tired_O_B_N_Tired HB User
I beleive that it can come and go. Stress, weather changes and making meatloaf can set mine off! lol I am not sure about the diet part if it causes flare ups.

My doctor currently ordered a cat/pet scan on the torso.
He is now thinking that my arthritis and thyroid are not my true problems. He beleives that I have fibromylasia. This is new to me, I have been reading up on this. It is hard to diagnois because it seems that my aches come and go from one place to another. From one day to abnother.

I try to avoid the cold, without gloves. Alieve helps, or celebrex when I can't take it. There is not to much I can do about the stress. It seems that I really do not know what bothers me.

My best to you,

Closed Thread