It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 09:18 PM   #1

Virgo30309 HB User
VIOXX is causing too many problems! Help..

I have been taking Vioxx for quiet sometime now.Although it has helped my OA very much, the side-effects are becoming unbearable. My blood pressure stays elevated, even to the point I have had to be put on medication for it. Also, I swell so bad my clothes wont fit properly anymore. I have tried to leave off the Vioxx for a couple of weeks, but got to the point I couldn't get out of the bed without being in severe pain, and having difficulty walking. Has anyone else had this problem? If you stopped taking Vioxx, what do you take now that doesn't have the same side-effects? Especially something that doesn't elevate your blood pressure.

Thank you.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
(male)

Bob2 HB User
Re: VIOXX is causing too many problems! Help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgo30309
I have been taking Vioxx for quiet sometime now.Although it has helped my OA very much, the side-effects are becoming unbearable. My blood pressure stays elevated, even to the point I have had to be put on medication for it. Also, I swell so bad my clothes wont fit properly anymore. I have tried to leave off the Vioxx for a couple of weeks, but got to the point I couldn't get out of the bed without being in severe pain, and having difficulty walking. Has anyone else had this problem? If you stopped taking Vioxx, what do you take now that doesn't have the same side-effects? Especially something that doesn't elevate your blood pressure.

Thank you.
I discovered I had ostearthritis in my knees about 2 years ago. My left knee become bad enough to make me limp. I am interested in herbs, so I looked for a herb that could help me. The herb I found that helped me is turmeric, standardized to 95% curcumin. I read about this in a book that has Essential Herbs in the title, written by Dr. James Duke. He is the author of the Green Pharmacy, which is a well known book on herbs. You have to get at least 1200 milligrams of curcumin per day. I take 2 capsules in the morning, one at lunch, and two at dinner to get the right amount. You should ease into taking that much to ensure that it wont shock your body to bad. That is start out with one capsule in the morning and one at dinner. do that for a week. The second week take two in the morning and one at lunch and dinner. The third week add taking two at dinner. Of course you can stop increasing the dosage, if it begins to work for you at a lower dose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 02:57 PM   #3

Virgo30309 HB User

Bob, is turmeric the only thing you take for OA? On a scale from 1-10, 10 being the highest, how would you rate your pain?
Thanks.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #4

TriMom217 HB User

ask your doctor about Synvisc injections for the osteoarthritis in your knee. I go for my second injection this wednesday and can't wait. It is the second series for me, the first time I had sweet relief for over 6 months. Looking forward to more of that!

Old 02-19-2004, 12:10 PM   #5

meghurtz HB User
Lightbulb Re: VIOXX is causing too many problems! Help..

Im sorry you are having so much trouble with Vioxx. A lot of people experience side effects from it though so you arent alone. However, you might want to seek the advice of a Rheumatologist who can better treat your OA. Glucosamine is an over-the-counter medication for stiff joints and usually works really well for those with OA. (I have RA and it doesnt do a thing for me unfortunately). Its fairly inexpensive and worth a try to stay pain free. Ive had many people tell me it works for them; I wish it worked for me. Otherwise, if you are looking for a prescription medicine that is fast-acting and similar to Vioxx, I would ask your doctor for Bextra. Its in the same class as Vioxx and Celebrex but uits slightly newer and is a little more refined (meaning it doesnt seem to have the side effects that Vioxx does).

I hope you find relief!

~Meg

Old 02-19-2004, 10:20 PM   #6

Virgo30309 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghurtz
Im sorry you are having so much trouble with Vioxx. A lot of people experience side effects from it though so you arent alone. However, you might want to seek the advice of a Rheumatologist who can better treat your OA. Glucosamine is an over-the-counter medication for stiff joints and usually works really well for those with OA. (I have RA and it doesnt do a thing for me unfortunately). Its fairly inexpensive and worth a try to stay pain free. Ive had many people tell me it works for them; I wish it worked for me. Otherwise, if you are looking for a prescription medicine that is fast-acting and similar to Vioxx, I would ask your doctor for Bextra. Its in the same class as Vioxx and Celebrex but uits slightly newer and is a little more refined (meaning it doesnt seem to have the side effects that Vioxx does).

I hope you find relief!

~Meg

Thanks for the reply Meg. I have tried Glucosamine and it didn't do a thing for me either. I also suffer from RA AND OA. It's a nightmare having both.
Odd that you mentioned Bextra because I called my dr. earlier today and asked him to phone me in a prescription for it. Hopefully I can get some relief without ALL the side-effects Vioxx caused.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:55 PM   #7

jake2403 HB User

Does Vioxx cause liver enzymes to become elevated?

Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #8
(female)

Janni HB User

I have OA in knees, shoulders. Ugh. I've been taking Celebrex for several years with no side effects whatsoever. Once, a Dr. wanted me to switch to Vioxx - I actually think he was getting kickbacks from Merck - I tried it, and it gave me a rash within a couple days. I also take BP medicine, and Celebrex doesn't seem to affect the BP. I tried the glucosamine/chondroitin and it made me wheeze. Also, people with diabetes should avoid it because it can raise blood sugar in some. The Celebrex keeps me reasonably comfortable (pain scale of about 3), but it doesn't last 24 hours like the commercials say. I find the effect lasts from about 1 hour after taking it to about 8-9 hours, so I try to plan activities that involve a lot of walking within the first few hours. I also take a couple extra strength generic Tylenol at bedtime. I also find that swimming and water exercises really help prevent stiffening. I think one of these days I'm going to have to get a new right knee, but just trying to muddle through in the mean time. Good luck, all.

Closed Thread