It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #1

kstaples HB User
Anyone have RA and FM?

I was diagnosed with RA and Uveitis over a year ago and since then have been on pred, methotrexate, Humira and currently remicade. So far nothing has relieved the pain, swelling, stiffness. exhaustion and overall feeling of extreme illness.
I've taken a FM questionnaire and I seem to have every one of the symptoms related to it. It's odd because I asked my GP about FM and she dismissed it saying "oh everyone has it - heck I have it too". As if it was no big deal and so she never tested me for it - just the RA. Maybe she figured the RA was enough to deal with but maybe that's why I'm NOT RESPONDING to the medication I've taken for the RA???? I've never asked my Rheumatologist about FM because of the reaction I got from my GP. THe Rheummy acts like I'm NUTS because I haven't experienced a dramatic improvement with the Humira and now the Remicade. Starting to really worry me because what other meds are left to try? I've changed my diet - mainly because I have acid reflux and suddenly my remicade infusions are giving me extreme stomach cramping to the point of throwing up once on my way home from an infusion.
I feel like the woman that went to the male doctor for issues and was told I just needed a sedative . . . dismissing my medical problems as a hysterical female. I see other people with RA responding to the remicade and feel so miserable that I begin to wonder if I'm nuts.
Just wondered if anyone on this post might have a similar problem or any advice.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Inactive

AliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB User
Re: Anyone have RA and FM?

The two occur together much more often than one would think. It would seem to me your GP is among others who consider fibromyalgia at being all in your head.

Now to my little quirk. I have had fibro for more that 20 years. Recently my doc ordered a test for RA. I have no idea what prompted him to do so as I had no symptoms at the time. That was this past spring and now my hands are about to kill me. I think I saw the Rheumy as I was starting a flare and there wasn't a problem then other than mild aches from the fibro at that time. Anyway, I went to the rheumy and he kept saying that my labs didn't make sense. He sent me for more blood tests and ex-rays of every joint in my body. A few days later, his staff called me to say I had antibodies to hepatitis C and I needed to see a gastro doc. I have had hepatitis since 1967 when I had a blood transfusion. Medical personnell who are around needles are also high risk as well as those who use ithe same needle that was first by an infected person. Anyone who has had a blood transfusion before 1992 and are having achey joints should be tested for hepatitis. Don't let the doctors put you off by telling you your liver enzymes are normal, so you can't have hepatitis C. My liver enzymes have been normal my whole life and in fact are still very normal. Even so my liver biopsy shows the beginning of damage, which is stage 2. This is not unusual as hepatitis C is both chronic and usually progresses very slow. That's how it is for the many, many more who are infected and are unaware of it. The greatest majority of doctors seem unaware of this.

If I had know earlier in my life of the hepatitis I would have been much more careful around fumes, and watched a little better what I ate and drank.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:32 AM   #3

Royalty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstaples
I was diagnosed with RA and Uveitis over a year ago and since then have been on pred, methotrexate, Humira and currently remicade. So far nothing has relieved the pain, swelling, stiffness. exhaustion and overall feeling of extreme illness.
I've taken a FM questionnaire and I seem to have every one of the symptoms related to it. It's odd because I asked my GP about FM and she dismissed it saying "oh everyone has it - heck I have it too". As if it was no big deal and so she never tested me for it - just the RA. Maybe she figured the RA was enough to deal with but maybe that's why I'm NOT RESPONDING to the medication I've taken for the RA???? I've never asked my Rheumatologist about FM because of the reaction I got from my GP. THe Rheummy acts like I'm NUTS because I haven't experienced a dramatic improvement with the Humira and now the Remicade. Starting to really worry me because what other meds are left to try? I've changed my diet - mainly because I have acid reflux and suddenly my remicade infusions are giving me extreme stomach cramping to the point of throwing up once on my way home from an infusion.
I feel like the woman that went to the male doctor for issues and was told I just needed a sedative . . . dismissing my medical problems as a hysterical female. I see other people with RA responding to the remicade and feel so miserable that I begin to wonder if I'm nuts.
Just wondered if anyone on this post might have a similar problem or any advice.
Thanks!
RA an FM are linked to a bacterial infection. This bacteria is Mycoplasma. Do yourself a favor a do a google search for RA , FM and mycoplasma. People are getting cured from these two afflictions with long terms antibiotics (6 months or longer)

Old 03-11-2004, 09:55 PM   #4

kootie HB User

Is there anything about arthritis that would cause a person to feel EXTREME exhaustion and fatigue.....in spells.....as if you had some sort of terrible flu bug deal ? Hard to explain......but the past two summers I have went thru a serious stage of that and I blamed it on some sort of flu bug yet no one else had anything that I knew of flu wise...after I felt better in a few weeks my arthritis was worse in my back and went to a new level. Had to quit a job cuz my hands were swollen up to my elbows and doc mentiond tendonitis from too much lifting all day. I took paxil for 2 years and was on 40 mgs a day and quit within about 3 days.....it was doin me more harm then good I had ralized after that long.....it seem'd to hit me all of a sudden what was going on....so I suspected it was maybe the cause of the terrible fatigue even tho that didn't occur for several months afterwards tho. Took me 6 months to shed the weight and then it went too FAST.My new doc said you can get extremly ill when you quit it like that and I have not felt 100 % since I stopped 3 years ago but would NEVER go back to it. (weight gain was horrible and got a big 'don't care' attitude) I just never figured out what was goin on and why my back got worse in relation ? Just wondering..............Pam

Sorry for all the questions............................... ..............I just found this place and am new here.

Closed Thread