It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #1

princess18 HB User
please any answers

Im not positive, but im pretty sure that I have arthritis in my left knee and possibly my back. I havent had a test yet to actually prove it, but I seem to have all the symptoms. My back hurts off and on in the same spot, which is in the middle right below my neck. My knee swells up to about twice the size of the other knee. I know it must be fluid in my knee. Plus, it cracks when I walk and it hurts when it does. It doesnt throb, but its always stiff and enlarged. I think I may have the beginnings of arthritis. Any answers please? And If I find out I do when I go to the doctor in a few weeks, how can I help make it feel better? Is it true once you have it youll always have it? Im only eighteen years old. Why do I have arthrtis this young? I wasnt born with it, but I do have a bad habit of cracking my knucles and toes and sometimes other joints. Does that even give you arthritis or is that an old wifes tale? Please I need answers. thanks for reading

Old 02-04-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
Re: please any answers

Let's see.....cracking your knuckles does not cause arthritis. The cracking you hear is the air being let out that's between the knuckles.

There's no rhyme or reason why you might (but it sounds like you do) have arthritis at your age. Nobody knows what causes it. Do you perhaps have any family members that have it? They say it's hereditary, for one. My symptoms started showing up when I was 21 (I'm now 46).

There's all kinds of medication that can help with the pain and swelling. But there is no cure for it. And once you have it that's pretty much it. It's there to stay. Although you will have good and bad days.

Whatever you do, get it diagnosed and get a treatment started to slow down the progress of the disease.

Good luck. It's no fun but it's not the end of the world either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 07:15 PM   #3

princess18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnrise
Let's see.....cracking your knuckles does not cause arthritis. The cracking you hear is the air being let out that's between the knuckles.

There's no rhyme or reason why you might (but it sounds like you do) have arthritis at your age. Nobody knows what causes it. Do you perhaps have any family members that have it? They say it's hereditary, for one. My symptoms started showing up when I was 21 (I'm now 46).

There's all kinds of medication that can help with the pain and swelling. But there is no cure for it. And once you have it that's pretty much it. It's there to stay. Although you will have good and bad days.

Whatever you do, get it diagnosed and get a treatment started to slow down the progress of the disease.

Good luck. It's no fun but it's not the end of the world either.
Well my dad has arthritis and my mom is very healthyso I probably take after my dad which is unfortunate. Will excercising help and what kind? My doctor is a nice guy but Im considering going to a different one cuz he acted like i was making up the whole arthrits thing and that really made me upset. He just kinda brushed it off and said well I doubt you have that. Its not like you cant get it young. Babies are born with it. He didnt even say I should get a blood test or something so I think Ill just get one on my own to know for sure. Thanks for your response.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User

Exercise is good. Just don't overdo it. Or you could further hurt yourself. You want to keep as active as possible though.

I think I would get a different doctor. Make sure it's a rheumatologist. They can do blood tests to determine what kind you have. You mentioned you've had psoriasis since a young girl so more than likely you have psoriatic arthritis. It's the same kind I have. If you have any other questions I will do my best to help you. But please get yourself on a treatment plan.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Joints "pop" because when you bend them air gets into the pocket of the joint and then when you straighten them you "pop" out that air bubble. I just saw that on a TV news segment.

Fluid on the knee or enlargement of the knee can come from many diff problems. Excercise may be exactly the wrong thing to do or it may be the right thing.. you really DO have to see a DR. in oder to know what to do as well as know what not to do.

I'm 56 and I do have osteoarthritis rather badly in both knees NOW ... There is no fluid on them and they don't swell..but it certainly hurts.

but years ago before my arthritis..........

In my late 20's I was in accident and my knee swelled fiercly.. from internal bleeding in the knee area and a broken cartilidge.

When I was in my 30's my left knee became swollen like a football! Very sore. I could hardly walk. I did go to a DR.. turns out it was an allergy reaction that time!!!

In high school I had a friend who had huge knees.. and they hurt her a lot..they did some sort of surgery.. it was a disease.

So you can't simply decide yourself.
It could be roen legiments or tendons.
it could be broken cartilidge.
It could be a sprain.
It could be a disease.
You REALLY have to see a Dr.

Old 02-10-2004, 09:43 PM   #6

princess18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmelts
Joints "pop" because when you bend them air gets into the pocket of the joint and then when you straighten them you "pop" out that air bubble. I just saw that on a TV news segment.

Fluid on the knee or enlargement of the knee can come from many diff problems. Excercise may be exactly the wrong thing to do or it may be the right thing.. you really DO have to see a DR. in oder to know what to do as well as know what not to do.

I'm 56 and I do have osteoarthritis rather badly in both knees NOW ... There is no fluid on them and they don't swell..but it certainly hurts.

but years ago before my arthritis..........

In my late 20's I was in accident and my knee swelled fiercly.. from internal bleeding in the knee area and a broken cartilidge.

When I was in my 30's my left knee became swollen like a football! Very sore. I could hardly walk. I did go to a DR.. turns out it was an allergy reaction that time!!!

In high school I had a friend who had huge knees.. and they hurt her a lot..they did some sort of surgery.. it was a disease.

So you can't simply decide yourself.
It could be roen legiments or tendons.
it could be broken cartilidge.
It could be a sprain.
It could be a disease.
You REALLY have to see a Dr.
thanks for the information. I hope its not anything too serious and yes Im gonna be seeig a doctor soon. Someone told me that I could be having joint pain from a kidney stone or a cyst. Have you ever heard of that happening before? I hope your knees feel better and you can better treat the pain you are experiencing.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:40 PM   #7

MaggieJ119 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess18
Im not positive, but im pretty sure that I have arthritis in my left knee and possibly my back. I havent had a test yet to actually prove it, but I seem to have all the symptoms. My back hurts off and on in the same spot, which is in the middle right below my neck. My knee swells up to about twice the size of the other knee. I know it must be fluid in my knee. Plus, it cracks when I walk and it hurts when it does. It doesnt throb, but its always stiff and enlarged. I think I may have the beginnings of arthritis. Any answers please? And If I find out I do when I go to the doctor in a few weeks, how can I help make it feel better? Is it true once you have it youll always have it? Im only eighteen years old. Why do I have arthrtis this young? I wasnt born with it, but I do have a bad habit of cracking my knucles and toes and sometimes other joints. Does that even give you arthritis or is that an old wifes tale? Please I need answers. thanks for reading
No one is too young to have arthritis. I was diagnosed when I was 13 and i am now 18. I have seen 4 year olds with arthritis. Anyone can get it. You need to go to a rhematologist for them to diagnosis you. That would be your best bet wth a cure. Don't mess around with it though. I ahd problems for a while and nothing was done. Now I have some irreversable damage. Go get it checked out!

Closed Thread