It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Arthritis questions ???

Hi, I have a couple of questions. Is arthritis pain a steady pain or can it be transient? Can muscles and tendons be involved along with the joint pain? I have steady pain in my knuckles, and wrists and also one ankle. I have pain in my shoulders but only when I extend out my arm. It's a sharp shooting pain from my joint into my muscle. I also have severe hip pain which wakes me up from sleep but when I get up, the pain goes away. I had blood tests for arthritis and they came back showing some but the Doctor said " It's not that bad" I have had this problem for the last 4 months and it feels worse than " not that bad" I have crohn's disease and was told the joint pain is related, yet I'm not convinced because it's involving my muscles. I looked up Fibromyalgia and I don't seem to have the pain points in the right places to be diagnosed with that, so what can this be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 05:53 PM   #2
(female)

CTuit HB User
Re: Arthritis questions ???

Unfortunately joint pain can be from a lot of things including arthritis. Do you see a rheumatologist? If not you might want to get checked out by one. It's easy for the Doc to say it isn't that bad, he isn't the one who's hurting. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #3

meghurtz HB User
Post Re: Arthritis questions ???

Just to let you know, Arthritis can feel like its in your muscles but in fact its just joint pain radiating out. Also, if your joints have been flaring (swollen, hot, stiff) for a while it could be that the muscles around the joint are begining to atrophy. This makes them feel weak and sore. Its very common in people with arthritis.

Talk to your doctor about it. Its another symptom and will need to be added to your file so when your doctor gives you medication he knows what kind to give you. Some anti-inflammatories can help with the muscle pain.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

~Meg

Old 02-12-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Re: Arthritis questions ???

Thanks Meg, my pain is mostly in my left shoulder joint and in my elbow. When I wake at night with the pain and grab my shoulder to massage it, I can definitely feel a hot sore spot in the front and in the back of my shoulder. My right shoulder hurts also but not as bad as the left. When I don't move my arms or turn my neck, it doesn't hurt. When you mention muscle atrophy, I aready have this. I thought this is due to not being able to move it properly and exercise the area.. On some days it hurts to put on my clothes, let alone exercise. I used to lift light weights before this started and had my arms and bicep muscles toned up nicely. When I look at them now, I could cry. The doctor prescribed diclofenac cream to put on it. I tried some last night and while it did feel better for a few hours, later I was feeling the pain again. Is this medication a temporary fix like Heat or BenGay that works for the few hours it's on your skin, or does it work to help take the pain away on a longer basis.

Thanks
Dorri

Old 02-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #5

meghurtz HB User
Lightbulb Re: Arthritis questions ???

Dorri, that medication is a temperary fix, unfortunately. I would recommend that you seek the advice of a rheumatologist or someone (GP) who can give you an anti-inflammatory. That will help with the pain and stiffness. What your joint is doing is called "flaring". Its very common for it to happen at night and when we wake we're in agony. I know. The muscles atrophy because they arent being used. At one point, it hurt for me to raise my arms over my head. It felt like someone was hanging onto them. But yes, you need something other than a topical fix. Warm compresses can help and are good for those nights when you wake and need to fall back asleep or for mornings to help get you moving. But you can get them at Walgreens and you heat them in the microwave. Then just place them on your sore joint and go back to bed. The warmth will soothe the pain as long as you stay still. But please, see a rheumatologist to help take care of the pain and the stiffness.

I hope you feel better soon! Keep us posted!

~Meg

Closed Thread