It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 05:48 PM   #1

Wolfman HB User
What excercises could I do?

I everyone,

I've recently been diagnosed with what the doctor thinks is osteo-arthritis in my left hip - after experiencing hip and groin pain for almost 3 years.

Anyway the pain is fairly minor and doesn't really affect my life tot badly - I don't even really feel the need to take medication.

However the one aspect of my life that it DOES affect is excercise. I used to be fairly active - cycling, jogging, paintball etc. However I've found that all of those activities aggravate the problem. I haven't been able to participate in any kind of regular cardio-vascular activity in over a year and I'm starting to worry about the negative effects this could be having on my health.

I've already gained some weight - probably 10 - 15 pounds over the last 2 years. It's not noticeable to most people but I see it when I look in the mirror and it's frustrating because I worry about packing on even more weight over the course of my life time. You feel so powerless when you can't even work out in any meaningfull way to counter this.

I've tried swimming and it doesn't irritate the hip and in fact actually made it BETTER. The problem is that I absolutely HATE swimming - everything about it - the fact that I have to drive to a pool, pay money, do it in front of other people etc. I'm not good at it so it's awkward... I HATE it... and thus couldn't make myself stick with it - life's too short to spend time doing stuff you hate that much.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what kind of cardio activities I could participate in? Something to keep myself active? Preferabbly something cheap and readily available.. (I'm not adverse to a one time equipment expenditure - I have a recumbant stationary bike but am unable to now use it)

I'd appreciate any ideas! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 09:12 AM   #2

meghurtz HB User
Post Re: What excercises could I do?

Something you could take over-the-counter is Glucosamine. It works better for people with Osteoarthritis than for people with Rheumatoid arthrits so it might help you since you arent at a severe level. Try to keep as active as you can. Non-impact exercises will work better for you and less stressful on your joints. There are lots of exercise machines (for home use or at the gym) that allow you to strengthen and tone without the wear and tear on your joints. Having a trainer there show you how to use the machines helps too.

Good luck!

~Meg

Old 02-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #3

Wolfman HB User
Re: What excercises could I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghurtz
Something you could take over-the-counter is Glucosamine. It works better for people with Osteoarthritis than for people with Rheumatoid arthrits so it might help you since you arent at a severe level. Try to keep as active as you can. Non-impact exercises will work better for you and less stressful on your joints. There are lots of exercise machines (for home use or at the gym) that allow you to strengthen and tone without the wear and tear on your joints. Having a trainer there show you how to use the machines helps too.

Good luck!

~Meg
Any suggestions as far as machines go? My doctor suggested an elyptical machine but I know with out even trying that it will hurt me - it's that exact rotation at the hip that bothers me the most - impact is irrelavant.

This all started after learning to drive a standard transmission - the next day my groin (where the leg meets the abdomen) on my "clutch leg" hurt so badly I could barely walk. It's gotten WAY better than that since but has never gone away - and now it only irritated by that exact motion - lifting my towards my chest (which you do while running, biking, stair climber etc)

Closed Thread