It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2003, 06:12 PM   #1

JanettoB HB User
Post Crunching sound in knees

I have crunching sounds in my knees when I sit down or get up from sitting. I don't have any pain. Is this just wear and tear in the joints. Will exercise like climbing stairs strengthen th muscles in the knees and help this problem?

51 year old female - surgical menopause - on estradiol- slightly overweight

Janetto

Old 01-25-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
It could be degenerative process but it also could mean something more. Before I start on a heavy duty exercise program first have a Dr check it out to make sure exercise won't do it harm.
Nancy
osteoporosis
arthritis in the spine
cervical spondylosis
pernicious anemia
ulnar neuropathy bilateral and a host of other minor inconveniences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2003, 11:40 PM   #3

simeone HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by JanettoB:
I have crunching sounds in my knees when I sit down or get up from sitting. I don't have any pain. Is this just wear and tear in the joints. Will exercise like climbing stairs strengthen th muscles in the knees and help this problem?

51 year old female - surgical menopause - on estradiol- slightly overweight

Janetto
Hi There Janetto I have the same thing. My knees crunch all the time when I up stair. It is wear and tear of your joint.I wait to see to the doctor and he said there is a operation they could but there not garantee that it is going to work so I did not go for the operation. I took glosomine and shark cartilage supplement together and that help a little bit. I am 40 years old and I have been suffering with my knee for years but now I am not sore any more but my knees still do that crunching noise.Good Luck and Take Care.

Old 03-02-2003, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

JeanneMarie HB User
Question

I have had that crunching feeling in my knees for years, and no pain or problems because of it. But now I have pain and aching in both knees, I don't know whether it's because of the crunching or what. I can only feel it, when I move my knee, and having my hand over my knee, I can feel it in there, and I don't know why. I'm supposing the pain is from Arthritis, but haven't seen a doctor yet to find out. But it's interesting that others have this crunching also.

Old 03-06-2003, 10:57 PM   #5

SoundOfMusic HB User
I've had crunching sounds in my knees since I was a little girl, and now I have full blown osteoarthritis. I've got dreadful pain in my lower back, neck and knees. Count yourselves lucky if the pain is only in your knees ladies, and I mean that kindly!!! Don't have surgery if you can help it, cuz you build up scar tissue and they may not be able to do surgery later, because of the scar tissue. I don't know if I make any sense.

Take Care Ladies
Jamy-49 yrs old

Old 03-09-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
(female)

wenron HB User
Couldn't you have prevented osteoarthritis with calcium?

Old 04-15-2003, 10:06 AM   #7

diamondust HB User
I thought I was the only one with this problem!I am a 51 year old female.I started noticing the crunching about a year ago and it's gone down hill since.Now it's very painful,especially when I stand or go up stairs.A few months ago I started to notice the crunch in my other knee and now it's hurting too.I am self employed and don't have health insurance so I haven't been to a Doctor for this.I make too much for medicade and not enough to afford insurance!I guess I'll just have to grin and bare it!

Old 04-16-2003, 05:50 PM   #8
Irish Cream

I turn 44 later this month and my knees have gotten really bad. Cruching,popping,etc and the pain is just incredible at times. I had a RA test done a few months ago and the nurse said it didn't show anything. So I guess I'll be in limbo till I figure out what this is. I already go to a pain center for my carpal tunnel. I can't even use a cane cause the pressure on my hands is too much to handle. I use the railing on the stairs and they start to hurt worse. My husband had me use one of those electric carts in Walmart the other day cause I just having a hard time getting around.

I hate this. I use to be able to stand for hours at my job now after about an hour sometimes less I start to hurt like hell.

Like Diamonddust I too can't afford a DR. The pain clinic is a W/C injury. Carpal tunnel surgery R wrist May 2001 (didn't work)then fell on both hands Jan 2002. Still having lots of pain thats why RA test done.

Diamonddust Do you have a clinic where you are at that does a sliding fee scale? We have one but we make too much for it. Between my unemployment and my husbands job we made too much last year. We too are one of the working poor.

Old 04-24-2003, 04:01 AM   #9

Buddhabuoy22 HB User
Hi everyone,

I too have crunching and grinding of both kneecaps. It is chrondomalacia/Patellafemoral pain syndrome. I have the painful grinding kind. It has been an ordeal. My knees became painful after I was doing a job where I had to jump up and down all the time, then they became inflammed and it felt like my knees were being burned with scalding water. I have been to two Orthopedic doctors. I just got out of wearing a leg immoblizer for 3 weeks on one leg and now 3 weeks for the other leg. This put out the fire. However, now my knees are so stiff and if I bend my legs it causes a pain that is hard to discribe. Almost like my leg is being broke to staighten it out after for example, when I sleep in a fetal position.

I only can climb stairs sideways, but I try to avoid them all together if I can. I am 45 and only weigh 110lbs.Thank goodness, because it is the constant loading of your own body weight that aggravates this.

In chrondomalacia there is a softening of the cartilage under the kneecaps or it becomes torn or shredded, and the bony kneecap is rubbing into the femor bone thus causing all the pain.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2003, 03:32 AM   #10
Inactive

zip2play HB User
I've had gravelly crunching in my knees since I was a kid (50's now)...ankles were so loud that if I went to the bathroom during a movie, every head would turn as I walked up the slope.
No joint is perfectly formed and teeny spurs will click and clack. If they hurt, you'ver got a problem...if not, try to treat them gently so they don't start.
(My knees eventually started giving me mucho trougble but only after two mangled cartilidges.) Ankles still noisy as Hell- but never any pain.

Old 04-25-2003, 07:15 AM   #11

Buddhabuoy22 HB User
Wow, you are so lucky not to be in pain from this. I read that a lot of young girls get this. I suppose I should feel fortunate that I was 45 when I was dx.

Does anyone have the painful grinding chrondomalacia, and would you offer any suggestions for pain relief?

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:50 AM   #12

lostinthewilderness HB User
I had crunching knees most of my life. Thought it was funny! 2 years ago, I had such severe pain (especially in left knee) I could barely walk. Ended up having knee surgery to scrape away cartilage. I have the beginnings of rheumatoid arthritis (doctor says) and I should avoid stairs at all costs. (ya right) Pay attention to that crunching now, down the road it will be serious.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
(female)

MissKnee HB User
Question Re: Crunching sound in knees

I am a 15 year old girl, unfortunately, i have a loud crunching noise in both of my knees. In my left knee it is much louder, and hurts more. i have a lot of pain during any physical activity, including walking. Is there anything I can do about this? I have been to the doctor, they gave me knee excersises, and i did them for three months straight, but no improvement has been shown. So i stopped doing them. They aren't sure whats wrong with me, any suggestions? I would really apprectiate the help

Closed Thread