It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 02:10 AM   #1

Virgo30309 HB User
Plaquenil

Hello everybody

Does anyone on the board take Plaquenil for RA or OA? If so, has it helped you? Have you noticed adverse side-effects?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 03:56 AM   #2

Is_Dfaith HB User
Re: Plaquenil

Hi,
I take Plaquenil but have not been on it for months because I can't afford that and my pain medicine. When I was on it I had no bad reactions.

Is_Dfaith

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #3

meghurtz HB User
Post Re: Plaquenil

Hi! I took Plaquenil when I was first diagnosed (like most people) since its a mild arthritis med. It proved ineffective for me. Its one of those meds that the Dr's give you in the beginning. If it doesnt work for you, tell your RD and they'll move you onto something stronger.

I actually had an allergic reaction to it 2 weeks after I started taking it. I broke out in a huge rash on my neck and chin. It was unsightly! But the prednisone knocked out the allergic reaction in no time flat.

Usually if Plaquneil doesnt work, they'll move you onto Methotrexate. Its more powerful but has more side effects. Its kind of scary taking all these meds but if you want the quality of life that you were used to, its important to take them as prescribed.

Good luck with the plaquenil and be sure to tell your RD if it doesnt seem to work after a month or so.

~Meg

Old 02-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
(female)

CTuit HB User

I've been on it since November. It has helped some but will probably need something else. I haven't had any side effects with it whatsoever.

Old 02-18-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User

I'm on Methotrexate now and have been for years. No problem, but they recommend blood work about every 6-7 weeks. I tried Plaquenil a long time ago, but I really disliked having the eye exams. After the second eye exam I told the doctor I wanted to go off it. They put these drops in your eyes to dialate them. Those drops are irritating and you have to wear sunglasses for sometime after the test if you're going to be outside or under bright lights. Maybe an hour after the test. The whole process just irritated me. Methotrexate is one of that last drugs to use, but you can use it as long as you are able. I also have major rheumatoid arthritis and some deformed joints.

Old 03-06-2004, 11:34 PM   #6

MaggieJ119 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Plaquenil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgo30309
Hello everybody

Does anyone on the board take Plaquenil for RA or OA? If so, has it helped you? Have you noticed adverse side-effects?

Thanks
I have been taking plaguenil for about 2 years and i have had no problem with it. I have taken it with several differnt medications. I am not exactlly how well it has worked for me, my arthritis has been fairly severe. We are just now getting it under control. I guess how well it works depends on how bad your arthritis is. Good luck

Closed Thread