It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2003, 08:11 AM   #1
Inactive

navy2 HB User
Post crackling in neck and up the back of my head

Hi everyone!

For about 6 months now I have had crackling in my neck and up the back of my head. When I move, it crackles more. Sometimes it feels like I pop. I have no pain.

I've been told it could be several things. But, I've read that cracking means arthritis. Wouldn't I be stiff and in pain though? It started after I was getting more frequent chiropractic adjustments and I was also losing a lot of weight.

My Chiropractor and PT said I need to do strengthening exercises. They also told me to take glucosamine and that would stop the crackling. It has not gone away yet. Is this arthritis?

Also, I have a squishing sound in my knee caps. This started after I began an exercise program. I was told by the PT that it wa because I wasn't using the joint much before I started exercising, Then I had a lot of pain and went to the doctor. They did an x-ray and i was told there was nothing wrong with my knees and there was no arthritis. The knee pain subsided, but, the squishing sound has remained in my knees. Today they ache.

Does anyone else have this?

Navy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2003, 03:18 AM   #2
Inactive

navy2 HB User
bump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2003, 08:55 AM   #3

tryingmybest HB User
I too have crackling in my neck. Started before I came down with RA. I had a whiplash from a car accident. Thought that might be the cause. Sounds like peeling the skin from an onion whenever I turn my head. My knees crack too when I bend. Just part of getting old and the disease process I guess.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

whatever1 HB User
Re: crackling in neck and up the back of my head

I have the same problem. I've had crackling in my neck for about ten years now. It has gotten progressively worse over the years. With the increased crackling in my neck I also have a lot of problems waking up in the morning with a stiff and painful neck as if I slept on my neck wrong. This happens to me more than the average person. On average it happens about twice a week. I've tried using one of those contour memory foam pillows to decrease the possibliity of waking up with a stiff neck but it still happens.
I also have the same crackling sound in both my knees, ankles, wrists, and my shoulders. The crackling is loudest in my shoulders but does not hurt there. It does hurt in both my knees though.

I also have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Raynaud's Syndrome and within the past 6 months I've had thick calluses form on my feet and toes almost over night that worsen every day (this problem is only on my feet and toes, nowhere else). I have had a low positive ana blood titer test of 160.

I have no idea what is causing all this.

Closed Thread