It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004, 01:09 PM   #1

GracieGirl HB User
Is back pain OA?

Hello all,
I usually post on the back problems board, but recently had an MRI that I cannot understand. It looks to me like there is a lot of degenerative stuff there and was wondering if it is the same as OA, or some type of arthritis. The MRI reports mentions that from T12-L3-4 there is abnormality (not seen on the first MRI 6 months ago) and at the levels of L3-4, L4-5 there is facet degeneration, as well as spondylosis at the L5-S1 level. Anyone have any experience with any of these things? What does this mean and what could cause that to develop in just 6 months. I do have a disc problem at the L5-S1 level, but lately my pain is so much worse. I am on Vioxx and it helps some. I have trouble doing everything. I am real stiff and achey in the am and in a lot of pain in the pm. I have a lot of difficulty sitting or standing too long. My spine hurts like it is broken. Any clues?
Thanks,
Graciegirl

Old 02-17-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
Mart7

Re: Is back pain OA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGirl
Hello all,
I usually post on the back problems board, but recently had an MRI that I cannot understand. It looks to me like there is a lot of degenerative stuff there and was wondering if it is the same as OA, or some type of arthritis. The MRI reports mentions that from T12-L3-4 there is abnormality (not seen on the first MRI 6 months ago) and at the levels of L3-4, L4-5 there is facet degeneration, as well as spondylosis at the L5-S1 level. Anyone have any experience with any of these things? What does this mean and what could cause that to develop in just 6 months. I do have a disc problem at the L5-S1 level, but lately my pain is so much worse. I am on Vioxx and it helps some. I have trouble doing everything. I am real stiff and achey in the am and in a lot of pain in the pm. I have a lot of difficulty sitting or standing too long. My spine hurts like it is broken. Any clues?
Thanks,
Graciegirl
I have been diagnosed with OA (also have lupus), but I have had chronic back problems since my early 20s. I never really had any medical intervention until my mircrodiscectomy in 1999 for a herniated disc L4/L5 region. Again, I was relatively pain free until 2003; however in 2002 I was diagnosed with OA after a bone scan. Once again I am struggling with back issues ... DDD and a collapsed disc. My othropedic surgeon did indicate I do have arthritis of the spine. I completely understand what your going through and completely relate to the pain you are in. As far as an arthritis connection to back issues .. in some cases I would definitely say yes. I am not sure if I was at all helpful; but I did want to acknowledge that I can completely relate to what you are saying and think you bring up a really interesting point.
-MJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 08:17 AM   #3

GracieGirl HB User

Thanks for the reply Mart7, I went to my PC dr yesterday and she confirmed that I do have arthritis in the facet joints of my spine. She said that due to my disc problems my body is trying to compensate and as a result is damaging my joints. Sigh...what to do. I am on Vioxx and it seems to help some, but I am getting a lot of mouth sores. I am allergic to sulfa drugs, so I cannot take Celebrex. Does anyone know of what else is out there that would be similar?
Gracie

Old 02-19-2004, 11:44 AM   #4

meghurtz HB User
Post Re: Is back pain OA?

Quote:
I went to my PC dr yesterday and she confirmed that I do have arthritis in the facet joints of my spine. I am on Vioxx and it seems to help some, but I am getting a lot of mouth sores. I am allergic to sulfa drugs, so I cannot take Celebrex. Does anyone know of what else is out there that would be similar?
Gracie
Gracie, I suggest that you take your test results to a Rheumatologist who can read them and see what kind of arthritis you might have. They might take some other blood tests and will determine how to treat your pain and your illness. If Vioxx isnt working, chances are you will need something stronger and a good Rheumatologist will care about your pain and not just worry about your joints. As for the mouth sores, start adding Folic Acid (1mg max) each day (you can get some in a vitamins but not enough). That helps curb the mouth sores. Its not uncommon.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing & feeling.

~Meg

Old 03-11-2004, 09:36 PM   #5

kootie HB User

Boy do I ever know how you feel Gracie......I don't think too many people understand chronic back pain......sometimes you just have to do sumthing to get away from it to keep goin.....I'll stop and lean over something if I have to just to get pressure off my spine a brief minute or two I don't care where I am at......

Old 03-11-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I have OsteoArthritis in my lumbar spine and a lot of goodies that go with it but no spondylosis. I don't know much about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)..but I was under the impression that spondylosis is more common with RA? I agree with meghertz, you should see a Rheumatologist and have your blood tested to decide the type of arthritis. Diff meds for diff arthritis you know.

The others are right.. back pain is ..well a PAIN.
Yes, I agree, you have to relieve pressure by changeing position often.
Sadly some days even that dosen't help.

Actually none of us can help untill you know exactly which arthritis you have, since treatments for each are diff.

Old 03-13-2004, 07:05 PM   #7

GracieGirl HB User

Thanks for all the info. I really do appreciate the feedback. I do have OA. I went to a rheum. dr and he said there is nothing he can do for OA. I did get a few rounds of blood work that all came back fine. I don't know if I should see another rheum dr, or if I am just wasting my time. I am still on the Vioxx, is there anything else that is better? Are there any supplements out there that can help other than glucosamine? I did have a round of facet joint injections (cortizone) that seemed to help a bit, but I am just in so much pain. I don't understand why this happened all of a sudden like, I am only 31 yrs old. Is there anything other that wear and tear that can cause OA? (I really am clueless about arthritis, can you tell?) Any info is appreciated. Thanks again,
Gracie

Old 03-13-2004, 07:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

follwing this link to medlineplus on osteoarthritis you will find many links to good information.
[url]http://search.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/query?MAX=500&SERVER1=server1&SERVER2=se rver2&PARAMETER=osteoarthritis&DISAMBIGU ATION=true&FUNCTION=search&x=18&y=8[/url]

Old 03-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #9
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User

I have oa in my lower back.For now I just take tylenol.I have a waterbed,so the warmth from it really helps me....

Old 03-14-2004, 04:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Oh, I agree, for OA heat helps. My heating pad and my Thermacare backwraps (for overnight use) are my best friends some days.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:32 AM   #11

Geniegirl HB User

Quote:
Hello all,
Thanks,
Graciegirl
Hi Gracie. I also have degenerative disc disease. Also known as Osteoarthritis from what I understand. I have it throughout my cervical area and also in the L-4 and L-5 with a compression at the L-5, S-1 area hitting the nerve root. Sometimes it can progress faster in some people than others. The pain can be excruciating. I have tried vioxx, but that didn't seem to even touch it. I am currently on methadone and that doesn't even take care of the pain although it does help. I also go to pain manement for steroid injections and use lidocaine patches to help. I don't think that there is anything out there that will take the pain away completely. Mine was triggered when I was in a auto accident 4 years ago. I am now 45. Anyway, it is not going to get better, but I sure do hope that you find some sort of relief. It can be very hard to deal with at times. I have trouble finding any comfortable position for any length of time. Hang in there.....You are in my prayers. - Geniegirl P.S. Degenerative disc disease is the wearing down of the discs. The cushions between the vertebrae. When these wear down it makes it more difficult to move because you don't have the shock absorbers that you need between these vertabrae

Last edited by Geniegirl; 03-23-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Old 03-29-2004, 01:10 PM   #12

lissa1961 HB User

I have that too (Degenerative disc Disease) and going to have surgery on April 7 for it. I hope it will help does anyone know if I should sign up for diasblilty??? I need to know as soon as possible.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:32 AM   #13

GracieGirl HB User

I have DDD as well, I was wondering if any of you suffer from muscle spasms, too. That is the majority of my pain. The damage and the arthritis are all in my lumbar back, but my muscle spasms go all the way up to my shoulders! It is horrible. I try EVERYTHING to try to calm them down, and nothing works. Is this "normal" or is it unlikely that the muscle spasms are coming from my low back problems? Just wondering...
Gracie

Old 03-30-2004, 07:45 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Gracie, my mother has all kind of back problems and her back is horribely bent.. YES she gets monster muscle spams from the curved spine.. well at least she used to. I mean these were BAD.. her whole body would visibly shake with the spasam of the muscles coming around her sides from the spine. The Dr gave her a perscription for Ultram and it works well to control the muscle spasam pain.

I don't get terrible muscle spasams from mine.. actually what hurts IS the muscles there and I certainly have pain, but so far not spasams. Your bones themselves have no nerves..but all the muscles around them sure do.

Lissa, if your Dr says you will be totally disabled for more than one year..then yes I would look into SSDI. I hear and see it's hard to get it for back problems.. but certainly no harm in trying. It takes quite a while to get it and financial problems do mount up so I do suggest you look into it ASAP.

AND I HAVE TO change what i posted earlier.. about Cervical spondylosis. I guess it definately comes with OA.. cuz my CT Scan of my neck came back with OA, spurs and Cervical spondylosis. The neck was the last piece of my spine we looked at.. That means the OA is in every inch of my spine now.. I'm a spurry mess! LOL.

Last edited by snowmelts; 03-30-2004 at 07:59 AM.

Closed Thread