It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Question How much Calcium is safe to take?

Is any body taking Calcium supplement with vitamin D? I have rheumatoid arthritis and I think she may have decided it would be a good idea to get me started on a supplement. Actually my doctor gave me a RX to take 250 mgs Calcium + D twice a day. But I told her that I might be able to get it at the store cheaper than their pharmacy. She said ok if you can, but here's the Rx anyway. At the store it WAS cheaper, and I bought the absorbable Calcium 1000 mgs ( 100% daily value ) with 100 I.U.'s of vitamin D or 25% of the daily value. I didn't pay any attention to the mg amount when buying.

I've heard that men and women between ages 19 to 50 years of age can take 1000 mg a day according to a web site. I am male in my 40's, but I wonder if I over did it on the Calcium. I also take a multi-vitamin with 162 mgs, but also get some in the food I eat. I don't drink milk. I could call the doctor, but it's really a hassel getting ahold of them.( downtown hospital - they are very busy) Anyway what can happen if you take too much. Today I skipped a dose. Tomorrow I'll take it. Does anybody have any take on how much is too much and is it toxic or maybe I should say that maybe too much can build up in certain areas and cause Calcium deposits which would not be good. I just don't know. Thanks for any suggestion. MV

Last edited by Mission_Void; 02-16-2004 at 05:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: How much Calcium is safe to take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Void
Is any body taking Calcium supplement with vitamin D? I have rheumatoid arthritis and I think she may have decided it would be a good idea to get me started on a supplement. Actually my doctor gave me a RX to take 250 mgs Calcium + D twice a day. But I told her that I might be able to get it at the store cheaper than their pharmacy. She said ok if you can, but here's the Rx anyway. At the store it WAS cheaper, and I bought the absorbable Calcium 1000 mgs ( 100% daily value ) with 100 I.U.'s of vitamin D or 25% of the daily value. I didn't pay any attention to the mg amount when buying.

I've heard that men and women between ages 19 to 50 years of age can take 1000 mg a day according to a web site. I am male in my 40's, but I wonder if I over did it on the Calcium. I also take a multi-vitamin with 162 mgs, but also get some in the food I eat. I don't drink milk. I could call the doctor, but it's really a hassel getting ahold of them.( downtown hospital - they are very busy) Anyway what can happen if you take too much. Today I skipped a dose. Tomorrow I'll take it. Does anybody have any take on how much is too much and is it toxic or maybe I should say that maybe too much can build up in certain areas and cause Calcium deposits which would not be good. I just don't know. Thanks for any suggestion. MV
1-3 years old -- 500 mg calcium
4-8 years old -- 800 mg calcium
9-18 years old -- 1300 mg calcium
19-50 years old -- 1000 mg calcium
51+ years old -- 1200 mg calcium
When you take supplements remember that the calcium rich foods you eat or drink add into the equation. Too much calcium can cause constipation and possible cardiac arrest in some people. Also your body does not absorb more than 500mgs at one time so if you think you are doing good by taking a 500mg tablet drinking it with milk and chewing on a cheese stick you still won't absorb more than the 500mg at that time. so take your calcium more than one time a day, to benefit more absorption. No more than 2500mg should be taken a day that is the max.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Post Re: How much Calcium is safe to take?

Nancy H, thanks for the info. I did over do it, but at least you and another person stated that 2500 mgs/d is tolerable max. Next time I'll try to buy the 500 mg capules. And then take twice a day if doctor aprroves that. Thanks again. MV

Old 02-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #4

meghurtz HB User
Lightbulb Re: How much Calcium is safe to take?

When you go to the drugstore, look for a product called VIACTIV. Its a box of chews (you eat them like candy - only one per day). They come in chocolate, coffee, caramel, etc. And its one less pill you have to take! Its the only way I take my calcium anymore. It has everything in it so its easily absorbed into your body. My pharmacist recommends them to everyone and its how I learned about them.

Many elderly take them because they sometimes have trouble swallowing big pills and calcium pills are BIG!

Good luck!

~Meg

Old 02-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Post Re: How much Calcium is safe to take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghurtz
When you go to the drugstore, look for a product called VIACTIV. Its a box of chews (you eat them like candy - only one per day). They come in chocolate, coffee, caramel, etc. And its one less pill you have to take! Its the only way I take my calcium anymore. It has everything in it so its easily absorbed into your body. My pharmacist recommends them to everyone and its how I learned about them.

Many elderly take them because they sometimes have trouble swallowing big pills and calcium pills are BIG!

Good luck!

~Meg
Hi Meg. Well isn't that a screamer. Vitamins, minerals and candy all in one . I never heard of those. Will take note and check into those if not out of curiosity. Sounds like a winner. Thank you. MV

Old 02-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Mara

I usually take a cal/mag supplement. If I were in a high risk group (along w/family hx of osteo), I would take coral calcium. Tropicana Grovestand OJ has added calcium (D3)-FruitCal, (35% per 8oz) & vitamin D (25% per 8oz.) and other goodies. When they run 2 for 1 sales on the 64 oz cartons, I stock up to hold me over until the next sale & choose cartons with the latest exp. date. If you save the bar codes as proof of purchase you can trade them in for free gifts (towels, key-chains etc) when the company runs the promo

In any event, take a look at the IOM (Institution of Medicine) & The National Academy of Science publications and look up DRI reports and EAR estimated Average Requirements charts etcetera. The numbers vary & the data is enlightening you can "sift" through it. Be careful when interpreting UL numbers. RDA/AI should not be replaced by UL number listings...

Excerpt...
(*)Tolerable Upper Intake Level: The maximum intake by an individual that is unlikely to pose risks of adverse health effects in almost all healthy individuals in a specified group. This figure is not intended to be a recommended level of intake, and there is no established benefit for individuals to consume nutrients at levels above the RDA or AI. For most nutrients, this figure refers to total intakes from food, fortified food, and nutrient supplements.

Males 31-50y DRI: Calcium - RDA/AI: 1000 mg/d, UL:2500 mg/d (*)
You could divide the 1000 calcium, crush, grind dissolve in liquid & drink...

Extra Ps: By adding 1 Tbsp. of nonfat powdered dry milk to: puddings, homemade cookies, breads, muffins, soups, casseroles, gravy you can increase your calcium intake by 52 mg. per dose. Yogurt is a good source. When I put it in the freezer it's a nice treat and bet it tastes better then crushed cal

Old 02-21-2004, 09:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghurtz

Good luck!

~Meg
Yep, I take them to, I like the caramel, ummmmm good.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #8
(female)

CTuit HB User

I highly recomend the Viactiv also. They're easy to take, one less pill and can also help satisfy that sweet tooth!

Old 02-25-2004, 04:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi
I usually take a cal/mag supplement. If I were in a high risk group (along w/family hx of osteo), I would take coral calcium. Tropicana Grovestand OJ has added calcium (D3)-FruitCal, (35% per 8oz) & vitamin D (25% per 8oz.) and other goodies. When they run 2 for 1 sales on the 64 oz cartons, I stock up to hold me over until the next sale & choose cartons with the latest exp. date. If you save the bar codes as proof of purchase you can trade them in for free gifts (towels, key-chains etc) when the company runs the promo

In any event, take a look at the IOM (Institution of Medicine) & The National Academy of Science publications and look up DRI reports and EAR estimated Average Requirements charts etcetera. The numbers vary & the data is enlightening you can "sift" through it. Be careful when interpreting UL numbers. RDA/AI should not be replaced by UL number listings...

Excerpt...
(*)Tolerable Upper Intake Level: The maximum intake by an individual that is unlikely to pose risks of adverse health effects in almost all healthy individuals in a specified group. This figure is not intended to be a recommended level of intake, and there is no established benefit for individuals to consume nutrients at levels above the RDA or AI. For most nutrients, this figure refers to total intakes from food, fortified food, and nutrient supplements.

Males 31-50y DRI: Calcium - RDA/AI: 1000 mg/d, UL:2500 mg/d (*)
You could divide the 1000 calcium, crush, grind dissolve in liquid & drink...

Extra Ps: By adding 1 Tbsp. of nonfat powdered dry milk to: puddings, homemade cookies, breads, muffins, soups, casseroles, gravy you can increase your calcium intake by 52 mg. per dose. Yogurt is a good source. When I put it in the freezer it's a nice treat and bet it tastes better then crushed cal
By saving the BAR CODES I can use them to get stuff? I buy Tropicana all the time and didn't know that, do you just send the bar code in or what? I'm interested can't ya tell? I'll have to go look on the tropicana carton downstairs and see if they advertises it on there. So what do you do just send it in?

Old 04-11-2004, 02:07 PM   #10
(female)

JeanneMarie HB User

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why not break your 1000mg of calcium tablet in two and take 1/2 in the AM and the rest in the PM. Then next time, buy it in 500mg each capsules, if you can find it. Calcium in capsules ( and everything else really) absorbs better than a tablet. Almost everything I take now, is in capsule form.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have read all the posts on this thread and no one has mentioned that you have to have Magnesium in a 2:1 ratio-- 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium for you to properly absorb calcium. Lack of magnesium will cause calcium to deposit in soft tissure, veins and arteries. Also, the amino acid lysine is needed to absorb calcium. Lysine is available in foods like eggs, fish , milk, potatoes, lima beans, red meat.

Too much calcium can interfere with the absorption of zinc. A diet high in protein, fats and sugar also affects calcium absorption.

Oxalic acid-- in almonds, cashews, spinach, beet greens, kale, chard, soybeans--- bind with calcium in the intestines and produce salts --- normally not a problem but over eating these can cause calcium-oxalate kidney stones.

There are all kinds of calcium available from oyster shell, carbonate(in Tums), citrate, lactate, coral, apartate, orartate-- and others.All work to some degree but some are better than others!!

The best I have found is the Chelates that are bound to a protein amino acid-- glycine -- called glycinate.--- Very bio-available. The process was developed by a company in Utah-- Albion Labs-and it is international patented.

I have use the Albion minerals produced by Doctor's Best, Kal, Solgar, Carlson, ******* and several other companies but they sell it to many companies for use in their products.

It is best to take calcium and magnesium in divided doses 3 or 4 daily to increase the absorption and not take more than 500mg of Calcium in any single dose.
In divided doses the absorpsion increases from 14% to 45%.

My wife that has Osteo and RA has been doing this for about 8 months and found other problems to be helped.

I wish ya'll well---Harry

Closed Thread