It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 01:57 AM   #16
(male)

Welsh Dragon HB User
Re: knee fusion / arthrodesis

Hi Crippleboy, i've just found this site, and decided to register. How did you feel after surgery and what's life like now? I go into hospital july 18th to have my right knee fused. (i was badly hurt in a motor bike accident) any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope this message finds you well. Best wishes Russell

Old 08-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #17
(female)

prust HB User

Hi welsh dragon have you had your surgery? What was it like?I'm on waiting list to have right knee fused but don't know how it is going to be fused yet. Very worried. Any info about it would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 07:26 AM   #18
(female)

Queeneev HB User

Catherine are you still around? If so, where in heck did you find a doctor to do a reversal? I am VERY interested in finding out more about that. I had triple arthrodesis in my foot and i HATEHATEHATE it, and perhaps there's a wee smidgeon of a chance some doctor knows how to reverse it???? I can always hope...

By the way, I know everyone's pain and suffering is personal and intense, but let me tell you, the technology and surgery for knees is WAY WAY ahead of feet, so count your blessings. HAHAHA there is no such thing as a TFR. I actually have wished the doctor would say "you have to have an amputation", because the science for prostheses is WAY WAY ahead for feet (and NO PAIN!!). Kind of ironic, isn't it?

Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 AM   #19
(male)

nokneedixie HB User

hi can you tell me if your op was a success
i can sympathize with your problems i have had straight leg for over 8 years now and suffer all the same symptons as yourself
i come from the uk so reversals arent an option but reading everyones threads has given me some hope

Old 09-27-2005, 02:48 AM   #20
(male)

nokneedixie HB User
Cool Re: knee fusion / arthrodesis

hi russell hope this finds you well i saw your thread and had the same problems as yourself many years ago also as a result of a motorbike accident
you will strugle to come to terms with it and anyone who says they didnt is lying
but its not all bad you will have days where everything is fine and you will have days where you think the world is ending this will all depend on how strong you are mentally
all i do is think of the people who are worse of than i am and think how lucky i am to be here ( sorry if that sounds a bit of a clechae )but thats the best advise i can give
things do get better over time but be prepared for alot of pain relief
sorry if its not what you want to here but i think if someone could have prepared me for the future it would of been appreciated

Old 10-17-2005, 05:09 PM   #21

crippledboy HB User
Talking Re: knee fusion / arthrodesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon
Hi Crippleboy, i've just found this site, and decided to register. How did you feel after surgery and what's life like now? I go into hospital july 18th to have my right knee fused. (i was badly hurt in a motor bike accident) any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope this message finds you well. Best wishes Russell
Hello everyone!

Nice to be back, I was lucky and found the old password for the forum again

Russell, I live now with a fused leg for virtually two years and up to now I have never regretted this surgery. Im now used to it very well. Have you had your surgery done? I suffer from mild back pain from time to time but the leg itself is free of pain. So I cant complain. At the time when the decision was made there were not many alternatives, if at all. So I have always tried to look forward and not back. It was worth it as far as I can tell right now the pain relief made it worth. I have lost the ability to bend my leg but at the same time Ive won other things and just after two years with a straight leg I can only say that a fused knee is not the end of the world!

Good luck for your surgery!

Old 11-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #22
(female)

barbara5121960 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippledboy
Hello everyone!

Nice to be back, I was lucky and found the old password for the forum again

Russell, I live now with a fused leg for virtually two years and up to now I have never regretted this surgery. Im now used to it very well. Have you had your surgery done? I suffer from mild back pain from time to time but the leg itself is free of pain. So I cant complain. At the time when the decision was made there were not many alternatives, if at all. So I have always tried to look forward and not back. It was worth it as far as I can tell right now the pain relief made it worth. I have lost the ability to bend my leg but at the same time Ive won other things and just after two years with a straight leg I can only say that a fused knee is not the end of the world!

Good luck for your surgery!
HELLO,
I JUST READ YOUR THREAD, AND I DO HOPE THAT YOU AND ANYONE ELSE WILL PLEASE WRITE ME BACK. I HAD TO HAVE MY KNEE FUSED IN FEBUARY OF THIS YEAR. I DON'T HAVE ANY PAIN EXCEPT MAYBE WHEN THE WEATHER CHANGES. I AM JUST NOW LEARNING TO TAKE STEPS AGAIN. I WAS DOING PRETTY GOOD UNTIL I FRACTURED MY BACK. I WAS TOLD THAT MY BACK IS WEAK AND THAT I HAVE OSTEO. IN IT BAD. HOW DO YOU MANAGE WITH A STIFF LEG AND ONE THAT IS SHORTER?WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR SHOES AT? WALKING IS DIFFICULT FOR ME I JUST HAVE NOTGOT THE SWING OF IT YET. DOES ITGET BETTER WITH TIME? I HAVE TONS OF QUESTIONS AND HAVE BEEN LOOKIN FOR SOMEONE THAT I CAN TALK TO. PLEASE WRITE ME BACK IF YOU CAN. THANKS SO MUCH......
BARBARA MOORE

Old 07-29-2008, 05:23 AM   #23
(female)

luckygrandma6 HB User

I was so happy to come across this thread. I had an arthroscopy, a PKR, TKR and spacer exchange done on my right knee. The only problem I am having is instability of the knee because it overextends and will not support me. My OS as far as I'm concerned is stumpted and offered a quick fix by doing an arthrodesis on my knee and I keep telling him NO!! I have no pain unless the knee goes backwards which I try to prevent by wearing braces and using a walker. I saw my OS again last week and he mentioned the arthrodesis again and I told him he will never do that to me, that I would live this way first and that led him to looking for other options. He thinks now that due to so much surgery the tendons and ligaments are streched in the back of my leg and need time to heal without me walking on the leg and stressing it out and so has put me in a leg cast. If this cast is any indication of what an arthrodesis would feel like I made the right decision. I've so far had two casts in the past week and I also had two major back surgeries and walking stiff legged is causing my back to hurt, so I see my OS again today and am going to have him take this darn thing off. I cannot stand the limitation. I'm going to suggest to my OS that if the cast is a means of keeping me off my feet and not using the knee that I would be willing to wear an immobilizer at night and use a wheelchair and my brace during the day. I would do this for six weeks and if it shows that it is working I'll do it for as long as it takes to make the tendons and ligaments strong enough to hold the knee.
If I had let him do an arthrodesis he wouldn't even be looking for other options.

Closed Thread