It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2003, 09:33 AM   #1
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Unhappy Knee injuries & Post Traumatic Osteo Arthritis

Hi,

In August 2001, I was a pedestrian hit by a car while crossing the street on a crosswalk. I suffered multiple injuries, especially to my left knee.

Two of my knee injuries are a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), a complex tear of the medial meniscus, and chondromalacia of the patella.

I am not eligible for an ACL reconstruction. However, an orthopedic surgeon removed 20% of my meniscus. There is another surgery planned to remove more of the meniscus.

I heard that people with a torn ACL are at increased risk of developing Post Traumatic Osteo Arthritis due to the instability and giving way caused by the ACL tear. I also heard that people who lost a portion of their meniscus are at increased risk of developing Post Traumatic Osteo Arthritis.

Does any of you have experience with this? What did you do? Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User
With meniscus removal, you lose some of your shock absorbing capability. The risk is surely increased of OA as time goes on.
I would check into meniscus transplants or collagen meniscus implants.
Doctors are great at taking torn cartilage out; but don't really tell you what could lie ahead.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2003, 09:44 PM   #3
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, Fuchsia_Lay

Thanks for the information.

I am worried that the rest of my meniscus will wear out because, like you said, my knee will lose some of its shock absorbing capability. Then my articular cartilage will wear out. After that, the top of my tibia and the bottom of my femur will rub against each other, creating arthritis.

I do not need any more source of pain in my knee. I already have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, which causes severe chronic pain to my left knee/leg. That is more than enough. I do not need severe arthritis pain to top it off.

I also do not want to end up with a Total Knee Replacement by the time I turn 40. I am only 28.

I will do some research on meniscus transplants and collagen meniscus implants. I hope doctors will conclude that I am eligible to receive one of these.

It is true that doctors are good at taking torn cartilage out but they will not tell a patient what the consequences are.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:00 AM   #4

Buddhabuoy22 HB User
Hi SF,

My name is Katie. I am sorry to hear of all your knee troubles. I have chrondomalacia of both kneecaps. It is very painful. Were they able to do anything to help you with that part? Let me know okay.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, Katie

I did not know I had chondromalacia of the patella before my first arthroscopic knee surgery, done on January 28, 2002. The orthopedist discovered my chondromalacia during this surgery but did nothing to fix it. Later, he told me that it cannot be fixed surgically but that it will go away by itself. I do not believe this. Thanks.

Closed Thread