It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 08:12 PM   #1

mamafoley HB User
Question never told MRI results 2 yrs ago

Hi - I am brand new here - will try to keep this brief! Have been in terrible pain last week and a half - finally got doctor to see me - I figured it was a pinched nerve or sciatica - awful! Anyway - it was a different doctor than I normally see - he paged through to an MRI from 2 years ago that reported moderate arthritis in the bony part of the spine - the paddle shaped area that sticks out (he called it a scott terrier for some reason!) So much of the pain that I have been told is "just my fibromyalgia" is actually pain from degradation in my bones. Does this kind of arthritis have a name? Have spent the whole evening trying to get answers - this is probably where I should've started! Thanks in advance!

Old 08-19-2003, 08:28 AM   #2

Jannie Mae HB User
Hi, Mama Foley! The type of arthritis that involves bone deterioration is usually called osteoarthritis, and sometimes it has different names depending on where it is located. The main thing I wanted to mention to you is that under federal law and accreditation standards, patients have the right to review their medical records including any tests etc. and have anything they don't understand explained to them. Most Dr. offices have the patients rights posted, since this is a requirement. Patients also have the right to obtain copies, although they may have to pay a copying charge. Things involving the spine can be pretty complicated. My suggestion would be to have your Dr. or other provider go over your MRI and any other records with you, and explain the findings until you are satisfied that you know what's going on. These days it's necessary to be very assertive with the healthcare providers as well as doing whatever research we can on our own. Good luck to you as you exercise your rights!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 04:23 PM   #3

Bradly HB User
I have Osteoarthritis and what your MRI is showing is most likely it. Even though your MRI shows some problems most doctors won't mention it because a lot of people have problems that show up on the MRI but don't have any symptoms. A test that I have found to be more effective for me is the EMG. Basically they test the muscle signals to see if your nerves are sending the correct signals. My MRI shows minor problems but the EMG showed severe problems. With the EMG needles about 2 or 3 inches long are put in your different muscle areas to test. I was so worried the first time I had one done but if you get a good doctor it shouldn't hurt too much if your pain isn't that bad. It is worth it though. The earlier you get diagnosed the better chances you have of slowing down the progress. Also, if your doctor doesn't believe you about your pain then find another doctor. You will get further with a doctor that believes you have a problem. I found that out the hard way. Good Luck

Closed Thread