It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 11:06 PM   #1

emb HB User
Question Arthritis symptoms after surgery?

Hello,

This is my first time posting to this board. I am three weeks post-op for cervical fusion surgery due to degenerative disc disease. The neck is improving steadily, however, I am suddenly having trouble with my hands and wrists. My finger joints (the big, middle joints) have become very swollen and pink during the last two weeks. My wrists are also achy and stiff. These are new symptoms for me (I had been experiencing some numbness prior to surgery that is improving). Has anyone here heard of developing arthritis after surgery? Could it be related? I am baffled and don't know what to do for it. I doubt this is pertinent, but my surgeon said that my white blood count was a little low before the surgery. He said I should have it checked again at some point. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't believe that I am up in middle of the night because of achy hands and not my neck.

Best,

Em

Old 09-06-2003, 01:22 AM   #2
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Surgery is trauma to the body. You can certainly develop arthritis from surgery; however, I do not know if you have arthritis. The type of arthritis caused by trauma such as surgery, etc. is called Post Traumatic Osteo Arthritis (PTOA).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2003, 08:32 AM   #3

emb HB User
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm going to make an appt. with my general practioner to see what she thinks.

Em

Old 09-06-2003, 07:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Yes it can, I had ulnar decompression surgery May 4th and tho the surgery had some complications by end of july my finger joints are extremely painful, in particular the ring and middle fingers and it is middle joint, I have arthritis in my right hand and very mild in the left metaphalanges(?)but never had any pain in those finger joints til after surgery. My hand surgeon said that odds are it will stay(I'm 55 as it is)flared for a long time. It is a form of Post traumatic arthritis.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
(female)

compergo HB User
Re: Arthritis symptoms after surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb View Post
Hello,

This is my first time posting to this board. I am three weeks post-op for cervical fusion surgery due to degenerative disc disease. The neck is improving steadily, however, I am suddenly having trouble with my hands and wrists. My finger joints (the big, middle joints) have become very swollen and pink during the last two weeks. My wrists are also achy and stiff. These are new symptoms for me (I had been experiencing some numbness prior to surgery that is improving). Has anyone here heard of developing arthritis after surgery? Could it be related? I am baffled and don't know what to do for it. I doubt this is pertinent, but my surgeon said that my white blood count was a little low before the surgery. He said I should have it checked again at some point. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't believe that I am up in middle of the night because of achy hands and not my neck.

Best,

Em
I also have degenerative cervical radiculopathy, spondolysis, and osteo-arthritis. My pain is both in the neck and shoulder areas...but primarily noticed in numbness of the fingers....This is due to the neck pinching nerves that impact the hands. So, it is possible that the surgery you had has had some unanticipated results that are leading to pinching of the nerves in the neck responsible for fingers. I'm no doctor, but I know that my hand pain and finger numbness are related to the neck condition.

Closed Thread