It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 PM   #1

babydolltahiti HB User
Question Pain meds for arthritis

Hi,

I have a partially torn ligament, a complex tear of the meniscus, condromalacia patella, and Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) in my left knee/leg. I may also have Post Traumatic Osteo-Arthritis.

I would like to know what medications (effective) you take for arthritis pain.

I am allergic to NSAIDs and aspirin so I cannot use these meds.

Thanks.

Old 08-21-2003, 09:05 AM   #2

sammy wise HB User
I only take parecetamol as I don't want anything with anti-inflammatory in it. It helps (wouldn't say its great but it helps).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 08:43 PM   #3

babydolltahiti HB User
Hi,

Is paracetamol another name for acetaminophen? I thought acetaminophen did not have any anti-inflammatory properties.

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2003, 04:10 PM   #4

Bradly HB User
If your pain is severe enough then you should try to get your doctor to prescribe you Oxycontin. This is opiate based and does not have anything like acetaminophen in it. A drug that goes along with Oxycontin is OxyIR and it just came out recently. It is the same as Oxycontin but it is not time released. Both of these medicines together have helped me to get rid of the pain enough to make it barable. I used to be on Lorcet and Percocet before and both of those did help but I had a lot of stomach side effects as a result. My stomach has felt much better since being on Oxycontin/OxyIR and the pain is more under control. It can be hard to get this type of prescription but if your doctor believes the pain you are in you shouldn't have a problem. Good Luck

Old 09-04-2003, 09:21 PM   #5
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, Bradly

I was babydolltahiti before. I decided to change my screen name to SFangel.

I have been using Duragesic (fentanyl patches) for a year for severe chronic pain caused by Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in my left knee/leg.

I used Oxycontin in the past for 4 months. This med was prescribed for me by my first primary care physician. I later had to change doctors. My new primary care physician switched me to Duragesic. I guess she does not like Oxycontin very much because it is a "street drug" that is easier to abuse than Duragesic.

Duragesic also controls most of the severe chronic pain in my neck. However, the pain flare-ups in my neck are particularly painful. Vicodin, which I take for break through pain, does not help much, unless I take it in a high dose. I do not like to do that because of the acetaminophen content in Vicodin.

I would like to try OxyIR for breakthrough pain. Is OxyIR similar to Roxicodone?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by SFangel (edited 09-05-2003).]

Old 09-09-2003, 11:47 PM   #6

Bradly HB User
Smile

OxyIR is the same thing as Oxycontin except it is not time released. I take 20 mg of Oxycontin twice a day and 2 5 mg OxyIR every four hours. I was prescribed Duragesic before and I did not like the effects of it. I would feel all the pain and then all of the sudden I would start to feel high. I could not stand the swings I got with that drug. Plus the patch never liked to stay on me.

Closed Thread